Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Penn Jillette rants about the ridiculous drug laws
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Penn Jillette rants about the ridiculous drug laws  (Read 1928 times)

Damien Valley

• View Profile
Penn Jillette rants about the ridiculous drug laws
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »

[youtube]Penn's Obama Rant[/youtube]

Fred

• View Profile
Re: Penn Jillette rants about the ridiculous drug laws
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »

I was sort of liking it until he had to make a big deal out of how he never even took a drink of wine or smoked any bud.

After that,  pffffffffft!

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »

Saw that video a few days ago. Good stuff. It let me know that he has yet another video channel. I wish he'd just pick one.
"Penns sunday school" "Penn Says"  & also the one where he used an annoying cell phone camera the whole time.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »

I was sort of liking it until he had to make a big deal out of how he never even took a drink of wine or smoked any bud.

I think he's just trying to stress the point that even though he doesn't use drugs or alcohol, he still supports your freedom to do so yourself. Thats pretty cool, if you ask me.

Should be glad there are non users out there willing to take that stance.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »

I think he's just trying to stress the point that even though he doesn't use drugs or alcohol, he still supports your freedom to do so yourself. Thats pretty cool, if you ask me.

Clearly, most anti-drug zealots will assume that drug-advocates are just addicts trying to get their fix. I think he's trying to point out that there are many reasons to want to end the drug war besides wanting drugs. It's quite relevant that he doesn't want to use drugs himself and yet wants to end the drug war. It hopefully heads off the most common excuse for being dismissive of anyone advocating an end to the drug war.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »

Yep.

The funny thing about it though, some of these drug warrior types always use the danger of the drug itself as their main reason for wanting to keep them illegal, so by Penn saying he never used before they pull out the "well, he aint never used drugs before, so he has no idea what he's talking about when he says he wants to legalize them." argument. Then, on the other hand if Penn said he DID use before, they would argue "ah, he's just a druggie that wants to make his shit easier to get".

Those types will never listen to reason. No way to win with them. DRUGS R BAD M'KAY?
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »

I hear yah, but meanwhile there are plenty of drug users advocating an end to the drug war as well so it's good to insert that variety.

Damien Valley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »

Should be glad there are non users out there willing to take that stance.

Absolutely.  I myself have never drank or done any type of drug unless you count ritalin and paxil when I was a kid which I think are way more dangerous than marijuana.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:53:27 PM »

Saw that video a few days ago. Good stuff. It let me know that he has yet another video channel. I wish he'd just pick one.
"Penns sunday school" "Penn Says"  & also the one where he used an annoying cell phone camera the whole time.

That was Penn Point.  You're also forgetting Penn Radio :P

As far as the rant goes, I love(d) it.  It was right on point and almost perfectly executed.  I also relate to Penn since I'm pro-legalization though I've never used an illegal drug in my life.  I do drink alcohol sometimes, but that's about it.  It's not a big deal to me, but I think it's a point worth making when discussing a pro-legalization stance as people such as Penn and myself have no direct personal stake in legalization.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Penn Jillette rants about the ridiculous drug laws

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 31 queries.