Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Outing myself
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outing myself  (Read 8110 times)

ahasp

• View Profile
Re: Outing myself
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »

What do you teach?

I don't want to be too specific, but I teach in a quantitatively heavy business area.

ahasp

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »

If I were you I'd double check the strength of that golden leash. From what I understand many State pensions were tied into the housing stuff and took an enormous hit which I don't think they have recovered from yet. Yours might be different or it might not be. Check it out, remember you are dealing with government promises here which we all know never end the way people expect.

The state that I work for actually has a very well run retirement system.  I believe that it is fully funded, that is, current employees are not making the payments for current retirees.  I've personally met many of the people that make the investment decisions for the fund.  They are top notch and very open about what they are investing in. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »

I think anybody, liberty-minded or not, that would crucify you for working for the state is a fool.  You're one of the lucky people who is doing something for a living that you enjoy.  You're a police officer, you're an educator.  Ideally, being a freedom-minded individual, I'd like to sever all ties with government.  It's just not possible though, if you're a person who wants any quality of life. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »

Without state funding, who would fund these schools, and keep them at a pricepoint to make it worth going. I know Ian disdains higher education, but in the real world, it does have it's advantages when looking for work.

Not as many people would go to college.  More employers would offer continuation education for people who will actually use it. Apprenticeships would be more common.  More young people would work at a labor oriented job while continuing their education while more white collar work would be done by older people who recieved their education over more time.

No one would fund "these" schools though.  These schools wouldn't exist in the same size and quantity of 18-24 year olds with huge football budgets and spring breaks.  It would be very different.

Pod99966

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »

I think anybody, liberty-minded or not, that would crucify you for working for the state is a fool.  You're one of the lucky people who is doing something for a living that you enjoy.  You're a police officer, you're an educator.  Ideally, being a freedom-minded individual, I'd like to sever all ties with government.  It's just not possible though, if you're a person who wants any quality of life. 

Hi Lindsey, I haven't said hi to you in forever it seems. And I wouldn't crucify anyone for taking advantage of the opportunities available to them. I don't even begrudge people on welfare (the ones that need it). I just think the system could be a whole lot different.

bobbysan

• Aspiring Beachbum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »

According to our constitution, a state and the people living in it can do whatever they want that isn't specifically enumerated in the document as having been delegated to the federal government. Regardless of whether you recognize its authority or not, I would expect that you do recognize that power behind it. There is a difference between power and authority. In any event, if Mark and Ian don't like the laws of whatever state it is that you teach they can move to New Hampshire or something, and it's really none of their business what you do. If people like the entitlements that a particular state might steal from them and dole out to others, they are free to move there. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Federal government imposing it's will on the states where it has no recognized and delegated authority that's the problem. That's what makes it arbitrary law. Would it really matter if you lived in the freest state of China? The only difference being the temperament of the current local greater state regulator's willingness, at the risk of his own neck, to look the other way from transgressions from the transient dictates of the central planners.
The sweet pretty things are in bed now of course\The city fathers they’re trying to endorse\The reincarnation of Paul Revere’s horse\But the town has no need to be nervous

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »

Hi Lindsey, I haven't said hi to you in forever it seems. And I wouldn't crucify anyone for taking advantage of the opportunities available to them. I don't even begrudge people on welfare (the ones that need it). I just think the system could be a whole lot different.

Hi Pod.  I do agree with you, it could be a whole lot different.  But it's not.  That's unfortunate. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »

I also work for a state university. I'd like it to be a private school, but it's not.

BTW, the federal government owns the airwaves. That does not stop FTL from broadcasting on them, though.

"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Outing myself

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.