Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Obama signs bill to outlaw supplements and alternative health
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama signs bill to outlaw supplements and alternative health  (Read 4218 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
Obama signs bill to outlaw supplements and alternative health
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »

I don't know how this issue totally slipped past people but the bill was signed into law two weeks or so ago.  I submitted the article to show prep. today. 

Just imagine now how expensive buying a multi-vitamin is going to be.   Forget getting those omega 3 supplements to help boost your LDL and prevent heart disease.   There are three potential reasons for this legislation.  The most likely is to protect pharmaceutical and medical care profits.  Less likely is to make the population sicker and weaker.   Also not as likely but some people think this legislation is intended to speed up the deaths of baby boomers and elderly.   While the last two are suspected the evidence mostly points to medical provider greed among the big pharma and AMA.   

http://www.examiner.com/wellness-in-atlanta/obama-signs-legislation-to-make-supplements-and-alternative-health-remedies-illegal?page=1

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
Re: Obama signs bill to outlaw supplements and alternative health
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »

Ooh, and when some poor naturalist chews on some willow bark for her headache... "DEA!" *BANG BANG BANG*

Yep, Obie's gonna have to wipe out all the plant life suspected of having any sort of medical properties. They'll keep a few samples under guard, however, just in case.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

BonerJoe

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »

So, what are you going to do about it?

That's what I thought.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »

I am wondering if there will be a major outcry from the people.  Congress passed and Bush signed the most incredibly stupid law ever.  A law which made re-selling childrens' clothes illegal.   Once the thrift shops stopped taking kids clothes.  Once people found out why, they became one pissed off mob.  Many drove it home to their representatives how incredibly stupid the used kids clothing law and that aspect of the law got changed.  In the mean time yard sales continued selling used kids clothing inspite of the law. 

Ref:  The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 is a United States law signed on August 14, 2008 by President George W. Bush.  It was due to be implemented February 10, 2009 which would have given the appearance that law was under Obama's watch.  There was such and uproar about the bill that congress issued a clarification on January 8, 2010 that resellers would not have to test kids clothing for resell market.  This did nothing for the small craft industries which made kids clothing but were such small operations they could not afford independent testing of their items.  So granny knitting a toddler bennie for sale of ebay was put out of business.  Way to go government.

Just before the ephedrine ban of a few years was implemented.  Employees in health food stores literally bought up the entire stock just to have.  Most likely to sell on the new ephedrine black market.  Ephedrine is back now but according to this new rule it will be out again.   But they haven't outlawed the plant.  The sad side effect of that is most growers have no may of calculating the mg of ephedrine in the the ephedra plant.  The Chinese name is ma huang and you can purchase seeds on line to grow your own. 

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »

I think they should ban all forms of water, unless a tax is levied. That includes rain water, water from your well, water from a pond or any other source.

They should also ban gardens and any form of growing. Maybe put a tax on your lawn.... send a guy out to measure the length of your grass every couple of weeks. The faster your lawn grows, the more tax you pay.

Also, an internet tax. Monitor everyones internet service and charge a $0.05 tax for every MB of data transfered over your broadband. Yes, this would be good.

Stuff shaped like the state of Texas............ Tortilla chips, belt buckles, penises and what not, etc etc

There are a few more I would like to see, but im too tired right now to think of them.

No more free ride bitches!!!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:22:39 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »

Supplements have not been outlawed.  That's just retarded. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 12:54:09 AM »

not yet.  They've been trying to get their hands on them for a long time though.  This law WILL be used.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »

This law is a tool to chip away at the edges of alternative health and supplements.  The CDC will start by placing caps on potency allowed.  They will start banning supplements or treatments which are not as popular.  The chipping will be done until the industry is no longer profitable and collapses from the weight of new regulations and red tape. 

To have a better understanding of the argument against this new law.  You have to read the article linked at the head of the thread.

I have used a mix of traditional medicine and alternative over the years.  When traditional medicine isn't working I tend to investigate alternative medical.  A chiropractor saved my son from surgery and leg braces.  I had taken my son to a orthopedic doctor who wanted to break my sons legs and put them in braces to straighten them.  He was very bow legged and seemingly couldn't bend his knee on one leg which also appeared twisted.  The orthopedist said we would have to wait for the operation.  In the mean time my Mother told me to take my son to her chiropractor.   I wish I had video tapped it.  The very first visit the chiropractor popped some joints on my son and one hour later you would see marked improvement.  After 4 months of weekly treatments my son was running.  His legs were straight and normal.   The chiropractor saved my son from all kinds of pain and suffering which would have been inflicted on him by traditional medicine.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »

chiropractors are traditional medicine.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »

If big pharma has anything to do with it, most supplements will be outlawed or drastically changed to be ineffective.  That's not to say a majority of them are effective, but the more effective ones have already been banned in some way or another.  Most stuff on the market now is nothing more than snake oil, especially stuff that claims to enhance immune systems and vitamins in general unless in liquid form.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:57 AM »

If they're addressing bone and joint issues, maybe.  Some of them have started claiming they can fix asthma and who knows what all by adjusting your spine.  For those, it's become a variant of acupressure or acupuncture.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:47:21 AM »

If they're addressing bone and joint issues, maybe.  Some of them have started claiming they can fix asthma and who knows what all by adjusting your spine.  For those, it's become a variant of acupressure or acupuncture.

Well, those people are retarded.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

davann

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »

Well, those people are retarded.

I have terrible hay fever. When I lived in the Midwest I would go to the chiropractors because I found out it helped relieve sinus pressure. That is not asthma but kinda close. I don’t think I am retarded for knowing it helped me.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »

I work for a place that makes supplements.  
http://www.megafoodonline.com/DAILYFOODS-p-1-c-21.html
Buy our stuff.  Made in NH.  

First of all,  This executive order just establishes a council.  The only powers of the council is to do studies and offer advice.  It is meaningless.   A bunch of policy wonks will research stuff, do endless studies, talk to people and then give advice and recommendations.  Nothing more.  Stop getting all worked up about nothing.  

Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

BonerJoe

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »

Buy our stuff.  Made in NH.

Assembled in NH, more like it. I assume most of your ingredients arrive in paper drums from China.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Obama signs bill to outlaw supplements and alternative health

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.