Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  No Smoking Sign
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: No Smoking Sign  (Read 11646 times)

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
No Smoking Sign
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:40:45 AM »

So here in the fascist state of Ohio, I am required to place signs on my building indicating a) that smoking is prohibited and b) the health department number to report violations.

Are there any imaginative people out there with good ideas for a sign that complies with the regulation but also gives a nice big middle finger to the state?

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: No Smoking Sign
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:52:01 AM »

gives a nice big middle finger to the state?
I think you just answered your own question ;)
Seriously, though, your customers might not appreciate the middle finger on display.

The BEST, most EFFECTIVE middle finger you could possibly give, will take only a few minutes of your time.

Simply sit down and write an open letter. Explain, in a few sentences, that your business is your own private property. Explain that while you invite the public to be your clients, ultimately YOU pay the bills. Explain that the State of Ohio has lost sight of this fact, and that the State now sees fit to dictate in minute detail exactly how your building should be run, and indeed threatens you if you do not comply. Explain that you understand that once the notion of "private property" is so utterly abandoned, anyone familiar with 20th century history should rightly fear for ALL of their freedoms.

Explain that because of all of the above, you are freely taking your business and MOVING IT to New Hampshire, where thousands of others who, like yourself, respect private property and individual freedoms are gathering. As such you will be away from the power-mad Ohio bureaucracy.

Then go and sign the First 1000 pledge:
http://freestateproject.org/first1000

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 10:59:19 AM »

We're working on doing just that, though we will have to maintain a presence here to service our Ohio clients.

Hittman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »

If you're running an entertainment business, like a tavern or a restaurant, and you've cultivated a smoking clientele, your business is now dead anyway. 

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:17:50 PM »

Luckily not. We are an account-receivables management firm. Other than the fact that I installed an air filtration system and walk-in humidor in my office this year, my business is not directly affected.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »

Other than the fact that I installed an air filtration system and walk-in humidor in my office this year, my business is not directly affected.
Let's see, the government that required you to put up the sign, did they at least pay for these niceties that that are *demanding* you install?

Fine, you have a business and want a presence in Ohio, play by their rules. Understandable.
Like I said, put up their sign just like you installed the filtration system.

Be as vocal and public as possible about the fact that you personally are leaving the state, because of the crazy regulations and oppressive rules. Put it in letters to the editor. Call in to local talk shows. Put some FSP literature up in your office next to the sign; there are plenty available for downloading at:
http://freestateproject.org/volunteer/downloads

Don't bother fighting this fight in Ohio; it ain't worth the effort.
Come ASAP to NH, where:
a) there's no such rule to fight against, and
b) when there are rules to fight against, you will NOT be fighting them alone!

Johnny_

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:36:51 PM »

Put a sign above it that says:

"State Law Requires this Sign:"

It's not exactly snarky, but at least you can let people know that it wasn't your choice without doing something that might piss off customers.

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »

I kind of like the bureaucrash slogan, "Smoking is healthier than fascism."

Another take might be, "Your fascism kills more babies than my tobacco."

fickenbaisage

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »

So here in the fascist state of Ohio, I am required to place signs on my building indicating a) that smoking is prohibited and b) the health department number to report violations.

Are there any imaginative people out there with good ideas for a sign that complies with the regulation but also gives a nice big middle finger to the state?

Are there any specific requirements for the sign? I suggest using pencil and draw it as ugly as possible. Or just put it somewhere hidden behind a tall office plant or something.

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 04:23:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm more interested in having people see something clever that will stick with them and maybe think about the fact that they have created a sick society that has no concept of property rights. It would also be nice to be able to pass out such signs to other businesses to use as well.

fickenbaisage

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 06:02:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm more interested in having people see something clever that will stick with them and maybe think about the fact that they have created a sick society that has no concept of property rights. It would also be nice to be able to pass out such signs to other businesses to use as well.

How about a normal sign, to quote your original idea, with a middle finger under it?

Taors

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 06:23:12 PM »

How about a normal sign, to quote your original idea, with a middle finger under it?

I don't think he wants to drive customers away.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »

The gentleman was being figurative.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 09:20:17 PM »

I do hope you put some FSP flyers nearby.
It's one thing to raise awareness... it's another thing to give people an easy way to DO SOMETHING about it

Gustav

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 05:01:58 PM »

If you put a middle figure under the sign its going to look like your flipping off the smokers not the gvmt. I like the  "your facism kills more babies than my tobacco".
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  No Smoking Sign

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 32 queries.