Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Next 1000?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Next 1000?  (Read 6473 times)

fatcat

Next 1000?
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »

Given that the FSP is ostensibly about to reach 10,000 sign ups, probably within the year, whats everyones thoughts on the next moving pledge? Given that the First 1000 was 4 years ago.

Should it be a Next 1000 pledge? 2000? What about instigating the whole 10,000?

I've heard the school of thought that, the more people in NH doing activism, the more the word gets out, and the faster the FSP will grow, so by that measure surely getting as many as possible as fast as possible would be the best?

On the other hand picking such a large number could lead to artificial stagnation due to the length of time it would take for so many people to move, and a lack of perceived progress, which moving in 1,000-2,000 increments would avoid.

This thread is purely for discussion on the next moving drive for the FSP, not to carry over any grudges from other FSP discussions.

Any showboating or bitching about the FSP will be deleted, myself included. Also no posting to say how much you don't care about discussing this.

fatcat

Re: Next 1000?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »

Sorry Hideaki, read the rules, this is not the place for slighting the FSP, there are plenty of other threads for that

blackie

JWI

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »

Considering only 138 have signed the next 1000 pledge and at least one of them should be taken off I think that's yet another numerical goal the FSP won't reach.  The FSP should just stop with the number goals and report on how many have moved to NH and what they're doing.

fatcat

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:14:49 PM »

http://www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=19285.0

Is this an "official" FSP pledge?

I couldn't find anything on the FSP website about it.

How much publicity is it getting in the liberty circles?

blackie

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »

No.

It used to be advertised on the Ridley report.

fatcat

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »

No.

It used to be advertised on the Ridley report.

Really reaching for that wide libertarian audience then?

On the subject of the Next 1,000, shouldn't FSP high command be jumping on top of this, given that its achieved 138 signers more than the FSP's Next 1,000.

Hell, even a link on the FSP website could do at least something.

Also the deadlines of this pledge seems a little tight. Only 1 year between signing deadline and the moving deadline, the First 1000 pledge had a 2 year gap and 30% still havent shown up 1 year after the moving deadline.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:23:26 PM by fatcat »

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »

I think they need smaller and more serious sign up pledges.  It's easy for people to do fake sign ups several times or to sign in passing not really considering the premise they are signing on.

Once 20,000 people have signed the Statement, participants in the Project shall move to New Hampshire as expeditiously as possible, and absolutely within five years of the point in time when the 20,000 signature threshold was reached.

For some reason I thought it was 10k not 20k. I plan on moving eventually but only because I want that social aspect of people who believe what I do at least to some degree. Hope for some liberties to be defended in the future if it grows but I'm not expecting much more. I think a lot needs to be changed with the advertising and sign up process for the FSP.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:31:52 PM »

Given that the FSP is ostensibly about to reach 10,000 sign ups, probably within the year, whats everyones thoughts on the next moving pledge? Given that the First 1000 was 4 years ago.

Should it be a Next 1000 pledge? 2000? What about instigating the whole 10,000?

I've heard the school of thought that, the more people in NH doing activism, the more the word gets out, and the faster the FSP will grow, so by that measure surely getting as many as possible as fast as possible would be the best?

On the other hand picking such a large number could lead to artificial stagnation due to the length of time it would take for so many people to move, and a lack of perceived progress, which moving in 1,000-2,000 increments would avoid.

This thread is purely for discussion on the next moving drive for the FSP, not to carry over any grudges from other FSP discussions.

Any showboating or bitching about the FSP will be deleted, myself included. Also no posting to say how much you don't care about discussing this.

Signers should be asked (not required) to pledge one dollar (or as much as they wish) via PayPal as a show of their commitment, it would keep the fakes away.  Upon reaching the 1000, one signer would be drawn from a lottery and awarded the $1,000.  This could be awarded upon moving to help defer expenses, or returned to the organization as the winner sees fit, to bring the pot of the following 1000 to $2,000.  It'd be a good way to keep people interested in the tally.  

fatcat

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »

Good points so far folks.

I'd be interested to hear from some people who have some involvement in organizing NH liberty stuff, or anyone who has actually signed the Next 1000.

J’raxis 270145

• Voluntaryist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • J’raxis·Com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:45:19 AM »

Signers should be asked (not required) to pledge one dollar (or as much as they wish) via PayPal as a show of their commitment, it would keep the fakes away.  Upon reaching the 1000, one signer would be drawn from a lottery and awarded the $1,000.  This could be awarded upon moving to help defer expenses, or returned to the organization as the winner sees fit, to bring the pot of the following 1000 to $2,000.  It'd be a good way to keep people interested in the tally.  

If you use PayPal, it’d be less than $700 in the pot at the end, not $1,000, considering their fees (30¢ + 2.9% for each transaction).

Escaped from MA, 2007-06-30

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 01:50:14 AM »

IMO, the higher the "moved" counter goes, the faster the signup rate.

plans... roughly  we need the new signers to get active LOCALLY in their state to get more signers.  Then the people in NH an focus on some 'wins' which will get more signers.

I am sure that when 10K is reached we will send and email to everyone and say:  go get 1 person to sign up... then we are done. (easier said than done of course)

The FSP needs 2 things:  money and more volunteers...to reach the goal of 20K.

Only responses I got from FSP forums........  :?

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:56 AM »

I have to agree stop with all the signature drives and goals.  Cause when they aren't met it makes you look like failures.   

I would still say to advertise but concentrate on very oppressive places.  Like Detroit, New York City, Chicago maybe California.   And advertise with known Liberty activist venues especially if they appeal to young adults.   Why because young adults have the fewest ties and the most mobility.   And they can be reached relatively cheaply via social networking.  I would promote the comparative level of freedom vs living in NH with those places.

I have to warn you I am suggesting nothing less than the FSP evolve into a political action group or a grassroots movement.  This hippy dippy goal of just getting like minded individuals here and do your own thing isn't accomplishing much.  Which in turn isn't motivating people to uproot their lives.

The FSP needs to hook up with other groups and push for some Liberty oriented legislation.  It might just be one point of agreement.  Once that is accomplish publicize it as a victory and go on to the next Liberty oriented victory.  Start of with easy sell items for the public and attach your name to those campaigns.   It could be lifting the ban on smoking, decreasing the drinking age, reforms to the marijuana laws,  elimination of hack licenses in a city,  or ending tax incremental financing. 

The FSP vs FSP member bullshit has to end if you are going to win overall.   Ian and Mark like it or not are well known and influential figures in the FSP.  If Ian can't find a way to get on board with legislative efforts which can be coordinated with civil disobedience, this lack of unity will be significant factor in why the FSP will continue to move slowly.

Civil disobedience can have a place in pushing forward a legislative agenda.  Demonstrating the foolishness of some petty laws and getting them off the books.   Each drop adds up and eventually becomes a wave of change.   Try and reach out to other groups about the need for public accountability of public officials on the job.   Getting the NH anti-video taping of law enforcement  law revoked.  People are already doing civil disobedience for that issue now.  Other FSP members could be encouraged to do a legislative push. 

One last thing I think gets ignored is the over selling of low taxes.  The tax structure in NH actual would be higher for me than in some income tax states.  Because NH taxes what you have and not what you earn.    If you have property and savings but not great employment prospects due to disability or taking care of disabled member of the family.  In that case the NH tax structure isn't a selling point.   The FSP over selling the lower taxes aspect has the consequence of drawing in social conservatives who will never agree to decriminalization of marijuana.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »

If you use PayPal, it’d be less than $700 in the pot at the end, not $1,000, considering their fees (30¢ + 2.9% for each transaction).

Ok, then.  $1.3377

BonerJoe

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »

I have to agree stop with all the signature drives and goals.  Cause when they aren't met it makes you look like failures.   

If the FSP hadn't tried to pursue non-profit status, the goal would have been met long ago.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Next 1000?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.