Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  New Hampshire Property Taxes %$*@P!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire Property Taxes %$*@P!  (Read 1800 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
New Hampshire Property Taxes %$*@P!
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »

Okay, someone who understands New Hampshire Property taxes please answer this question.  What the hell is going on?  A home on the eastern side of New Hampshire which costs the exact same as a home on the western side of New Hampshire has property taxes which are twice as high.  Aren't the property taxes based on a percentage of the home's value?  Wouldn't those percentages be the same if it is a state property tax?

Not a lie I was looking up a home on the Eastern side of the state which was priced at 130,000.  The property taxes were listed slightly over 5k a year.  I look at a few comparables on the western side and the property tax is like 2k.  Maybe it is just me but $415.00 per month is a major deal breaker. 

Another stupid thing I am running into during my search are homes that you can only live in 3 season.  Is that a recommendation or a law?  Just wondering if they are saying 3 season due to a lack of insulation and the buyer could upgrade the home to year round? 

AntonLee

Re: New Hampshire Property Taxes %$*@P!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:28:46 AM »

you mean the Seacoast area with the taj mahal style high schools and the like?  I live east and I'm moving west because of this.

Either way, add up all the nickel and diming that doesn't happen in NH but does happen in states like MA, ME, and CT. . . you're coming out ahead in NH.  The advantage happens.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »

you mean the Seacoast area with the taj mahal style high schools and the like?  I live east and I'm moving west because of this.

Either way, add up all the nickel and diming that doesn't happen in NH but does happen in states like MA, ME, and CT. . . you're coming out ahead in NH.  The advantage happens.

But I am not coming out ahead of my present situation in NC.  However, that could change soon enough if the congress passes that national sales tax for the states on the internet thing.  Cause I tend to buy things on the internet simply because I can get them sales tax free.  If this makes it through Congress a whole lot of Internet retailers are going to sink.

The reason I was looking on the East Coast was because there is a nationally ranked school for special needs children there.  I thought it was a private school because kids go to it from all over not just NH but as far as Maine and Mass to attend.  They also have scholarships.  I guess location is based on the Train route.  Otherwise if I were to have such a school no way would I locate it in an area that has out of control public school spending.  Cause it is already difficult enough to afford private school but to have to pay for public school as well.  Maybe we should look into the cost of living on the Maine side and consider the train commute to the school.

AntonLee

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »

I've been told life isn't the way it's supposed to be in Maine. . . taxes are a bitch.  You gotta pay for all those people who live in the bush and want electricity.

I would say look into Seabrook, Hampstead, Rochester, and Somersworth for cheaper housing.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »

Okay, someone who understands New Hampshire Property taxes please answer this question.  What the hell is going on?  A home on the eastern side of New Hampshire which costs the exact same as a home on the western side of New Hampshire has property taxes which are twice as high.  Aren't the property taxes based on a percentage of the home's value?  Wouldn't those percentages be the same if it is a state property tax?

Not a lie I was looking up a home on the Eastern side of the state which was priced at 130,000.  The property taxes were listed slightly over 5k a year.  I look at a few comparables on the western side and the property tax is like 2k.  Maybe it is just me but $415.00 per month is a major deal breaker. 

Another stupid thing I am running into during my search are homes that you can only live in 3 season.  Is that a recommendation or a law?  Just wondering if they are saying 3 season due to a lack of insulation and the buyer could upgrade the home to year round? 

property taxes vary by region
each regional "body" decides what they want and how much to spend and then a "mil-rate" is established

so yes it does matter where you live and there are many factors that weigh in on the final total

personally, right now, if someone gave me a house I would just take it off-grid and squat in it til something went down where I couldn't be there anymore...

I wouldn't pay for a home regardless of the area or the price
especially since no one really knows how much the taxes are going to go up with all the government shenanigans lately
I mean, could you afford a two, three, or four hundred percent increase in the property taxes
all these people who think now's the time to buy...wait til the secondary wave real estate collapse occurs...ha ha ha

right now it's estimated that seventy percent of foreclosed homes haven't been put on the market because they're trying to keep the prices as high as possible by limiting exposure and supply...

but...when the commercial property bubble goes BOOM...then BOTH the foreclosed homes and the foreclosed business properties will steamroll these lenders into total bankruptcy no matter how hard the gooberment tries to bail them out...

all this is by design so that a few of the global-elite money-masters will be able to purchase all this trash for less than a penny on the dollar...you think I'm joking...just you wait and see...ha ha ha

check this website out:  http://www.pgpf.org/

and that just references the national debt...

to say nothing about the total collapse of the economy...

after which...who do they think is going to pay back these trillions?

ha ha ha

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »

In NH, the amount you pay in property tax depends almost completely on the town selectmen and the town meeting.
Some towns are famous for being tightfisted, some are famous for the slogan, "it takes a school to bankrupt a village"

If property taxes are your hot-button issue, get involved with the Coalition of NH Taxpayers. They are awesome
http://cnht.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  New Hampshire Property Taxes %$*@P!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 31 queries.