Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  New BBS Theme Updates
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New BBS Theme Updates  (Read 21536 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New BBS Theme Updates
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »

Johnson here...

The forum theme has been updated again.

To about 99% of you, these changes will be fairly subtle, but hopefully still a notable improvement. However, about 1% of the BBS was using old themes that were outdated and needed work. These themes have been deprecated.

We are now offering a dark theme (the default) and a light theme (dark text on a lighter background). You can access and set your theme under your profile settings.

We'd like to thank everyone that helps to support Free Talk Live, and let you know that Jacob and myself have worked hard to create a few themes that are visually pleasing while being integrated with the site. We hope you enjoy this improvement.

The next time we upgrade the themes will be even more of an improvement when the software we use for the forums finally reaches version 2.0 final.

Best regards,
The The Free Talk Live BBS Team.

Also as a consolatory note for some of the people using the older themes... you among the 1% -
Those themes didn't have some of the code we have added over time to protect the BBS from spammers, and were a vector for spammers to get into the BBS. Maintaining only two themes will allow us to help keep the BBS more up to date and spam free! (as much as possible)
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: New BBS Theme Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:33:06 PM »

Thank you Johnson, and keep up the good work.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Bill Brasky

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »

I guess I'll get used to it.  I don't care much these days.  But Babylon was tits, at least visually. 

If theres a dark skin that the geeks find acceptable, please include it, when everything else is complete. 

I like white text on a black background. 

I know you work on this stuff and find the 1%ers an annoyance, but the default is like --  holy shit.  Just brain damaging when you're not accustomed to it. 

Please take a deep breath before you yell.  I didn't come lookin' for a fight. 

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »

Drifter, you could try the light theme. Of course, that's black text on white...

Or, alternately, you could use a Greasemonkey script to pretty easily change the Greys in this theme.

"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Bill Brasky

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »

Drifter, you could try the light theme. Of course, that's black text on white...

Or, alternately, you could use a Greasemonkey script to pretty easily change the Greys in this theme.

Hey J

I think its the yellow that really skeeves me out.  I'm using the dark theme, and its nice.  BUT...  that yellow is still poppin like a motherfucker.

Like I said, I'll get used to it.  I'm just saying...  IF  ..  you find a compatible skin, after everything else is all squared away, maybe think about including it.  IF it doesn't cause any compatibility problems.

Also, the "quote" feature, when I quote a poster, like I did with you, it needs some kind of accent.  Like a white border, or something.  The quotes are a bit too subtle.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »

Will fix the quotes... as far as adding more themes... there is a LOT of custom changes in each theme that help to keep things together... and help avoid database conflicts with users and what not... besides the anti-spam stuff... So, the average SMF theme has to be heavily modded before it can be installed. Hopefully SMF 2.0 will allow more flexibility and have a better SMF <-> Drupal Bridge.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:17:22 AM »

Will fix the quotes... as far as adding more themes... there is a LOT of custom changes in each theme that help to keep things together... and help avoid database conflicts with users and what not... besides the anti-spam stuff... So, the average SMF theme has to be heavily modded before it can be installed. Hopefully SMF 2.0 will allow more flexibility and have a better SMF <-> Drupal Bridge.

Yeah, I understand why you don't wanna fuck with a slap-on.  Its cool.

Heres another critique (stop me when you get annoyed).

On "the boards", theres a little icon that says "new" when a poster has added to a thread.

Could you change that "new" insignia to an alert color, like red, or something?  Anything that is attention-getting, visually.  Because thats what they're for.

That dragonfly blue turquoise that my mod-stars are colored would work nice. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:19:56 AM by Drifter »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:25:39 AM »

By the way, since you don't get enough compliments during this process..

Whatever you goons did to keep the spam away..  works marvelous.  We were up to our eyeballs in spambots a while back, and something's working really fucking cool to prevent that.  wtg

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:24 AM »

I'm just glad you guys are taking an interest in the forum and actively trying to improve it. One I got really into in the past was abandoned by the owners. Total BS.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

BonerJoe

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 05:25:59 AM »

Whatever you goons did to keep the spam away..  works marvelous.  We were up to our eyeballs in spambots a while back, and something's working really fucking cool to prevent that.  wtg

If my hand hewn IP ban lists are still in place, I'm sure those are helping.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »

Thanks for providing a black text on white background theme.  I was ready for the worst when I got the email.  The explanation for having only two themes makes enough sense.  I won't bitch.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »

the default is like --  holy shit.  Just brain damaging
This

Riddler

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »

i feel like i'm in a brazillian coal mine & the helmet light batteries are dying

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »

the default is like --  holy shit.  Just brain damaging
This

Free Talk Live Light
3 people are using this theme.

Free Talk Live Dark
5158 people are using this theme.

So, I guess we know which theme Drifter, WTFK, and D_Goddard are using.

Dragline seems to have not yet figured out how to turn on the lights.   :P

There is a dark text on light theme that you might prefer.

BonerJoe - Absolutely... You hand hewn IP ban lists are extremely helpful. All the moderation, the algorithms, captchas, and what nots help keep out the bots. Now, these new themes make it so that it's impossible to register for the site through SMF - which means that robots are WAY more confused by that... and human spammers have to jump through different hoops and spam protection that Drupal has - which is better than SMF.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:20:14 PM by Johnson »

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »

So, I guess we know which theme Drifter, WTFK, and D_Goddard are using.
Tried both; liked neither.
Why did the old themes have to be nixed?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  New BBS Theme Updates

// ]]>

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.