Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need suggestions for my first gun.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions for my first gun.  (Read 29444 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: Need suggestions for my first gun.
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »

Didn't Ruger pull some uncool shit a few years back?  Something about favoring the Big Black Scary Weapons Ban, I think.  My memory's fuzzy, so correct me if I'm factually wrong, but if I'm even vaguely close to being right then fuck them forever.

It'd be more difficult to say that if I didn't like semiautos more than revolvers, but I'd still say it.

They limited their first party magazine capacity on rifles to ten rounds. *Shrug*

Smith took more flak for putting locks on their guns at the same time.

And it was all about liability. Manufacturers were threatened (By the by Bush the Sr./Clinton administration) that gun manufacturers would be looking at a law permitting anyone to file suit against a gun manufacturer for wrongful death if someone was killed with their guns, if they didn't comply with a laundry list of demands regarding "scary" attributes of their guns.

Ruger and Smith buckled a bit. Can't blame them. At the time, they were worried about getting completely shut down.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

NHArticleTen

« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2008, 08:21:59 AM »

Didn't Ruger pull some uncool shit a few years back?  Something about favoring the Big Black Scary Weapons Ban, I think.  My memory's fuzzy, so correct me if I'm factually wrong, but if I'm even vaguely close to being right then fuck them forever.

It'd be more difficult to say that if I didn't like semiautos more than revolvers, but I'd still say it.

They limited their first party magazine capacity on rifles to ten rounds. *Shrug*

Smith took more flak for putting locks on their guns at the same time.

And it was all about liability. Manufacturers were threatened (By the by Bush the Sr./Clinton administration) that gun manufacturers would be looking at a law permitting anyone to file suit against a gun manufacturer for wrongful death if someone was killed with their guns, if they didn't comply with a laundry list of demands regarding "scary" attributes of their guns.

Ruger and Smith buckled a bit. Can't blame them. At the time, they were worried about getting completely shut down.

IIRC, smith isn't owned by the same people as when it "caved" to the gooberment...

ruger on the other hand...

still...buy used from some widow's closet and...

ENJOY!

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2008, 08:26:29 AM »

IIRC, smith isn't owned by the same people as when it "caved" to the gooberment...

It is owned by the people who designed the locks. Saf-T-Hammer.

ruger on the other hand...

Or just respect their business decisions.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

tranced

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »

John,

and whomever else has some knowlegable advise....
looking for a suggestion for a bottom feeder, will be mainly a range gun but want it to do double duty as a defense gun secondary to the shotgun.  Still in school so budget is a HUGE consideration.  No glocks, friend has a glock g26 and a 23, neither felt right (handle too small).  No concerns about conceal carry or keeping it concealable, actually my favorite range gun to date is a beretta u22 neo but I'd like something more acceptable for defense.  Also, which shop in this area would you send a newb to?

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »

I like my SW40VE Sigma.  It's a direct knockoff of the Glock .40.  I'm very happy with mine although the trigger is pretty firm (yet easy to fix) when you get it, feels like a DAO revolver.  They can be had for under 300 bucks new, and are basically S&W Glocks.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need suggestions for my first gun.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.