Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need suggestions for my first gun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions for my first gun.  (Read 29409 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: Need suggestions for my first gun.
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2008, 03:16:30 AM »

*Shrug* They did the same shit in 1992, back when I was a government slave.

Pisspoor training and the military go hand in hand.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »

I dont know. Look at 1:42 of this video and ask yourself if you would want to get hit by this while breaking into someones house. :lol:

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
What's the recoil like4 on that thing with the shotgun shells vs the bullets?
Seemed to me just a bit more recoil with the 410 shells, but still not that bad. The reason I suggest this for home protection is the fact that unless youre a pretty good shot with a revolver, you run the risk of missing your target. With this thing, you can pretty much hit your target in the dark and it has the same effect as a sawed off shotgun, yet its legal.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »

Seemed to me just a bit more recoil with the 410 shells, but still not that bad. The reason I suggest this for home protection is the fact that unless youre a pretty good shot with a revolver, you run the risk of missing your target. With this thing, you can pretty much hit your target in the dark and it has the same effect as a sawed off shotgun, yet its legal.

Dear god no.

Shotguns need to be aimed. At 21 feet, they have a four inch pattern. Most people do not have rooms bigger than that size.

Please please please don't perpetuate this myth.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »

Dear god no.

Shotguns need to be aimed. At 21 feet, they have a four inch pattern. Most people do not have rooms bigger than that size.

Just watch the vid. It explains the bigger pattern with shorter distance.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »

Dear god no.

Just watch the vid. It explains the bigger pattern with shorter distance.

I watched it. What I see is a one and a half inch to two inch spread, and a lot of matte blown off of the hi viz by powder. I'm just sayin.

Also, .410 is better than harsh words, but not by much. I suppose one of the newer five pellet 00 rounds, but for what it's worth, a regular old .45 colt round would work better, frankly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool gun, but it's not a real manstopper with .410

Please read the Box O' Truth on the Judge. It will be very informative.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:00:15 PM by John Shaw »

AntonLee

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »

that was extremely informative.  I've made my decision not to buy this gun.  I don't plan on shooting snakes or birds or cardboard boxes with snakes on them.

Icculi

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2008, 10:02:32 PM »

Saiga makes some bad assed shotguns that are based on the AK frame and use high cap magazines. They are probably the coolest, most reliable semiauto shotguns around.

http://www.saiga-12.com/

I mean, it's an AK that shoots shotgun shells!

Motherfucking THIS!  I just got my converted S12 and I am dying to try it out.  But, they are getting rare nowadays, and mags are nigh impossible to find with the Obamanation freaking out all us 'gun nuts'.

Icculi

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2008, 10:44:57 PM »

On the P90 and the 5.7 - My friend got one of these and I had a chance to shoot it back in September.  It's a pretty fun little gun.  It kicks like a .22 and seemed fairly accurate to me.  It has a 16" inch barrel and a flat trajectory.  However, we were just using iron sights that were mounted to the rail, which I thought were hard to use because they were too close together and I found it hard to focus on the front sight and the target at the same time.   So IMO, the P90 really needs some kind of optics - I'd personally go with a reflex or holosight.  One of my main complaints of bull pups has always been that the shells get ejected right next to your face - nothing like a choking on gun powder after you unload a mag.  But, the P90's downward ejection fixed that annoyance.  Also I don't remember too well, but I think the trigger was pretty decent for a bull pup.  Overall, I'd say it was a very fun gun.   

From what I understand the 5.7 is a fast round designed to pierce armor; basically a 5.56 with less powder.  It's main purpose was to provide tank drivers and other military drivers with a decent weapon that was small enough to be carried and operated in close quarters - i.e. while driving a vehicle.

Also, they are now making AR uppers in 5.7.  Takes the same mags as the P90 and ejects down the mag well.  They are kind of expensive though, and you'd need an AR lower first.

But as stated earlier in the thread I would rather have a .223, .308, 9mm, .45, 12ga, etc...  That exotic ammo is cool, but it's expensive and generally not any better that standard calibers.  However, I have to disagree about the .40; that's a decent in-between round and not expensive at all.

For the handgun discussion.  Meh... I've never been a huge fan of revolvers; I prefer semi-auto SA/DA pistols.  But, that's just me.    :P

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »

However, I have to disagree about the .40; that's a decent in-between round and not expensive at all.

Disagree that it's a cop round, or disagree that it's a compromise round created because the Feds who it was designed for were too wimpy to handle the 10mm?

I didn't say that the round was bad. I said I wouldn't buy it.

Also, it was a solution looking for a problem.

They made the 10mm, which is a great round. It has the snap and trajectory of a 9mm with a similar mass to a .45acp. Very cool. Then the goober Feds who it was primarily designed for cried about how it kicked too hard and was too hard to recover aim, which was the same problem they complained about with the .45acp.

So they shortened it, and lowered the power, removing the primary positive aspects of the round, and called it .40S&W.

I can do the same thing with a heavier +P 9mm hollow point for less money and not have the personal annoyance of buying into a spook round.

For the handgun discussion.  Meh... I've never been a huge fan of revolvers; I prefer semi-auto SA/DA pistols. 

I prefer guns I like. Some are revolvers, some are bottom feeders. It's all about having the right tool for the job, and secondarily, what aesthetically pleases me. A revolver can do many things that a semiauto cannot, and vice versa. Can't kill a deer with a semiauto, unless you're nutty enough to spent the two grand on a dumb Desert Eagle and load it with .44mag or .50ae. Easier to reload for revolver rounds, easier to experiment with loads, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:30:44 PM by John Shaw »

AntonLee

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

John Shaw should be the name of the guy in Grand Theft Auto: Michigan who you learn how to shoot guns from.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »

John Shaw should be the name of the guy in Grand Theft Auto: Michigan who you learn how to shoot guns from.

I've been bitching for years that they should have made a Grand Theft Auto: Motor City

I mean, it's a frigging CAR game. Not only that, but the crime rates plus the multiple areas (Urban, Suburban, Rural) are well represented.

I'd love to blow shit up on the 696/275 interchange.

And yes, I could be the crazy coot whut teaches to shoot!

AntonLee

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »

I don't know why someone's not creating a Grand Theft Auto: USA. . . you could have different teams working on different cities. . .it'd be so cool.

Icculi

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2008, 10:20:38 PM »

Disagree that it's a cop round, or disagree that it's a compromise round created because the Feds who it was designed for were too wimpy to handle the 10mm?

Perhaps I miss understood, I thought that you were claiming that the .40 was too exotic for general use or as a first hand gun.  Price wise, it's pretty much dead in the middle of 9mm and .45, and functionally it is as well.  It has more power than the 9mm, but a greater magazine capacity than the .45.  I guess I never gave much thought to the political motivations behind the .40.  Just seemed like it fit nicely between two very popular calibers.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the .357 SIG round.  It's a great round - trajectory, muzzle velocity, ft-lbs, and its ballistics are very close to a .357 Magnum.  Hell yeah!  But when it costs $25 a box, it takes a lot of the fun out of shooting it.  :D  And I don't have any desire to spend time and money reloading.  So I only use it for home defense and switch the barrel to 9mm for range/target time.

I prefer guns I like. Some are revolvers, some are bottom feeders. It's all about having the right tool for the job, and secondarily, what aesthetically pleases me. A revolver can do many things that a semiauto cannot, and vice versa. Can't kill a deer with a semiauto, unless you're nutty enough to spent the two grand on a dumb Desert Eagle and load it with .44mag or .50ae. Easier to reload for revolver rounds, easier to experiment with loads, etc.

Well like I said, it's just what I prefer, and I don't hunt or reload.  However, I definitely agree revolvers and semi-autos both have their place.  I guess I just prefer more of the tactical end of the spectrum.

Cowcidile

• Cruel Tyrant Cason
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »

I love my S&W 686 .357 Magnum.

Cheaper and just as well made is the ruger revolvers. Ruger is a damn good company and their revolvers are extremely well made. Look em up.

Tracer Tong

• neener neener neener
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • Mind your own business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »

Didn't Ruger pull some uncool shit a few years back?  Something about favoring the Big Black Scary Weapons Ban, I think.  My memory's fuzzy, so correct me if I'm factually wrong, but if I'm even vaguely close to being right then fuck them forever.

It'd be more difficult to say that if I didn't like semiautos more than revolvers, but I'd still say it.
Good.  We begin to operate from a position of strength.
We will start manufacturing the swords and distributing them to our allies.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need suggestions for my first gun.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.