Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need suggestions for my first gun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions for my first gun.  (Read 29418 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: Need suggestions for my first gun.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 11:48:20 PM »

Taurus is okay. Don't get anything cheaper.

I would say there are three brands that you'd want to look at.

1. Smith - They're the best, lock or not.
2. Ruger - Heavy duty, very durable, heavy assed trigger.
3. Taurus - Cheaper made S&W knockoffs, but the best knockoffs around.

You might want to check out North American Arms as well, but they're mostly small carry guns.

What NHAT said about hammerless is horseshit unless you plan on shoving a gun into your pocket regularly. Get a good holster with a small button flap over the hammer and you can fire SA, which is much more accurate. Of course, if you do plan on shoving a revolver into you pocket, sans safety (They don't have 'em) I guess a hammerless job would be better.

I'd recommend a J frame Smith, personally. I have a model 60 snub nose with crimson trace laser grips. (Another 150-200 bones, but more than worth it.) Mine is older so it only shoots .38 special, but the newer ones are thicker and will also fire .357 mag.

If you get into one of the really light ones, stick with the .38 - Those scandium composite .357's are too light and will punish the shit out of your hand. You won't practice of you're afraid of the thing causing pain.

Again, as I always add, I don't like to show brand partisanship, unless it's to condemn a whole company, but if you were to ask me what I like, again, I own Smith and Ruger, when it comes to revolvers.

That pick I just posted is a gun manufactured in 1979. It works just like a brand new gun. *Shrug* let that be my recommendation, I guess.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 07:56:41 AM »

I dont know. Look at 1:42 of this video and ask yourself if you would want to get hit by this while breaking into someones house. :lol:

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
What's the recoil like4 on that thing with the shotgun shells vs the bullets?
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »

Taurus is okay. Don't get anything cheaper.

I would say there are three brands that you'd want to look at.

1. Smith - They're the best, lock or not.
2. Ruger - Heavy duty, very durable, heavy assed trigger.
3. Taurus - Cheaper made S&W knockoffs, but the best knockoffs around.

You might want to check out North American Arms as well, but they're mostly small carry guns.

What NHAT said about hammerless is horseshit unless you plan on shoving a gun into your pocket regularly. Get a good holster with a small button flap over the hammer and you can fire SA, which is much more accurate. Of course, if you do plan on shoving a revolver into you pocket, sans safety (They don't have 'em) I guess a hammerless job would be better.

I'd recommend a J frame Smith, personally. I have a model 60 snub nose with crimson trace laser grips. (Another 150-200 bones, but more than worth it.) Mine is older so it only shoots .38 special, but the newer ones are thicker and will also fire .357 mag.

If you get into one of the really light ones, stick with the .38 - Those scandium composite .357's are too light and will punish the shit out of your hand. You won't practice of you're afraid of the thing causing pain.

Again, as I always add, I don't like to show brand partisanship, unless it's to condemn a whole company, but if you were to ask me what I like, again, I own Smith and Ruger, when it comes to revolvers.

That pick I just posted is a gun manufactured in 1979. It works just like a brand new gun. *Shrug* let that be my recommendation, I guess.

Thanks for the info.  Since I wiork with my hands, and I am learning a bit every day about guns, I wouldn't want a gun that would hurt my hands or wrists.  So  how is that s&w pictured on the hands?
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

NHArticleTen

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O35jrFkTUE

[youtube=425,350]v/8O35jrFkTUE[/youtube]

enjoy

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Since I work with my hands, and I am learning a bit every day about guns, I wouldn't want a gun that would hurt my hands or wrists.  So  how is that s&w pictured on the hands?

It shoots .38 special. It doesn't kick very hard, and the round does the trick.

The trick with S&W is that they use a frame system for their revolvers.

J - Smallest frame revolvers. Good for concealed carry. Comes in anything from .22 to .357 mag.
K and L - Medium frame. Also good for carry, under an overshirt or coat.
N frame - Large frame, open carry sidearms only, pretty much, unless you're wearing a parka. Being from Florida, I doubt you'd want this.
X frame - extra large. These are four or five pounds, unloaded. We're talking .460 magnum and .500 magnum. Don't bother unless you're hunting big game or love big guns just for fun.

J frames are great for carry, like I said. Shoot .38 special in them and you'll never have a problem, hand wise. If you want to shoot .357 mag, get one of the all steel models, like the Model 60 I have. The aluminum and scandium composite are REALLY light and throw all of the equal and opposite reaction right into your hand.

Here's a page where you can shop by frame size- http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15703

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »

I wouldn't consider the hands to be important in the decision, unless you're going for the hardcore loads.  Almost any guy can handle 38, 380, 9mm.  After you crack off a few rounds, its not a big deal.  Its like catching a gently thrown baseball, underhand toss. 

True, unless you're shooting .357 mag out of one of those scandium jobs. They will mess you up.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Since I work with my hands, and I am learning a bit every day about guns, I wouldn't want a gun that would hurt my hands or wrists.  So  how is that s&w pictured on the hands?

It shoots .38 special. It doesn't kick very hard, and the round does the trick.

The trick with S&W is that they use a frame system for their revolvers.

J - Smallest frame revolvers. Good for concealed carry. Comes in anything from .22 to .357 mag.
K and L - Medium frame. Also good for carry, under an overshirt or coat.
N frame - Large frame, open carry sidearms only, pretty much, unless you're wearing a parka. Being from Florida, I doubt you'd want this.
X frame - extra large. These are four or five pounds, unloaded. We're talking .460 magnum and .500 magnum. Don't bother unless you're hunting big game or love big guns just for fun.

J frames are great for carry, like I said. Shoot .38 special in them and you'll never have a problem, hand wise. If you want to shoot .357 mag, get one of the all steel models, like the Model 60 I have. The aluminum and scandium composite are REALLY light and throw all of the equal and opposite reaction right into your hand.

Here's a page where you can shop by frame size- http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15703

cool and thanks.  I'm going to be checking out the gun shops in the next few days....   I'll let you know the results.  8-)

Dave in NY___evening

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »

Buy a rifle with a 5.56 or a 7.62 unless you have one already. Uncommon round=your rifle is a $2,000 club. I reccomend an Oympic Arms ar15 carbine.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 08:41:22 PM »

Buy a rifle with a 5.56 or a 7.62 unless you have one already. Uncommon round=your rifle is a $2,000 club. I recommend an Oympic Arms ar15 carbine.

He wants a revolver to start with, though.

Dave in NY___evening

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »

Buy a rifle with a 5.56 or a 7.62 unless you have one already. Uncommon round=your rifle is a $2,000 club. I recommend an Oympic Arms ar15 carbine.

I cannot comment on a handgun, I live in NY. I just think the p90 is not a good idea.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »

I cannot comment on a handgun, I live in NY. I just think the p90 is not a good idea.

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of the 5.7 round myself, just because it's new. Most new rounds usually die off (Or just end up being damned expensive) unless there's something really wild about them.

See - .41 mag, 10mm, .22 wmr, .44spl, etc.

Weird rounds cost more money. Also, the 5.7 is under attack because it's a good round and the primary platform for it (The Five-SeVen) is a pistol. They have been calling them "Cop killers" and "Kevlar Busters" since day one, even though there's isn't a single gangbanger out there who has one of the damned things. Gangbangers don't pay a grand for a gun, and wouldn't even know what ammo to buy for the fucking thing.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 09:17:30 AM »

Ps 90's are cool..  It's something that I would want to save up for...  I'm a big stargate fan, and it's one of the main guns used by most of the military.  As a matter of fact, if anyone here is into sci fi and guns, it's the show to watch.  I was watching an episode on my appletv and I got to see one of those automatic shotguns in use...  And some of the bad guys have these fully automatic pistols that look cool... 

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 09:20:06 AM »

I wouldn't consider the hands to be important in the decision, unless you're going for the hardcore loads.  Almost any guy can handle 38, 380, 9mm.  After you crack off a few rounds, its not a big deal.  Its like catching a gently thrown baseball, underhand toss. 

True, unless you're shooting .357 mag out of one of those scandium jobs. They will mess you up.

I think the basic thing to keep in mind is the little stumpy rounds are okay, regardless of size (except 45, they hit pretty hard).  The stumpy ones are usually okay, its the elongated cartridges that resemble small rifle rounds where the force has to erupt in a long skinny cylinder and project the bullet with all that contained force behind it.  The stumpy stuff is a different sort of detonation than a long round.  The powder is still burning as the bullet is traveling down the barrel, and theres just not enough in a stumpy round to make much recoil, only propel the mass forward.

Ok, so what you are saying is that the shorter the round, the less kickback?  Could you elaborate on the stumpy bullets?  There are so many different types...  Can you be a bit more specific?

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »

Buy a rifle with a 5.56 or a 7.62 unless you have one already. Uncommon round=your rifle is a $2,000 club. I reccomend an Oympic Arms ar15 carbine.

I'm not looking for a rifle...  too big, I don't hunt (I've lived in cities my entire life, I know nothing of hunting), and I life in the biggest drug city in the world...  There have been a few shootings, parking lot murders, and car jackings within a 2 Mile radius from where I life...  I just need something to defend myself with, just in case.  This is Miami, the Latin Folks Wild Wild West..

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 09:26:59 AM »

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of the 5.7 round myself, just because it's new. Most new rounds usually die off (Or just end up being damned expensive) unless there's something really wild about them.

See - .41 mag, 10mm, .22 wmr, .44spl, etc.

Weird rounds cost more money. Also, the 5.7 is under attack because it's a good round and the primary platform for it (The Five-SeVen) is a pistol. They have been calling them "Cop killers" and "Kevlar Busters" since day one, even though there's isn't a single gangbanger out there who has one of the damned things. Gangbangers don't pay a grand for a gun, and wouldn't even know what ammo to buy for the fucking thing.

The Ps-90 is more for shit's and giggles.  The revolver is for self defense.  For some reason, Revolvers seem a bit more safe for the user.  But what the hell do I know?  That's why I started this thread..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need suggestions for my first gun.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 32 queries.