Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need Some Smoking Ban Help
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Some Smoking Ban Help  (Read 1983 times)

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
Need Some Smoking Ban Help
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »

Background: I belong to a local private club here in Ohio, where a smoking ban was just enacted. There has been an injunction filed against it for the time being until the legislature finalizes the specifics of the regulations and fines associated with it. I managed to strong-arm the board into continuing to allow smoking in the men's grill room until such time as these specifics are finalized, since I pay for not only my membership but for several of my employees as well.

Now I have to deal with jackasses like this guy, who send around messages like the one I will copy here. If any of you have any free time on your hands today, maybe you could post some clever replies. It is a little like shooting fish in a barrel, but it would be nice to just smack the hammer down in a very decisive manner. Enjoy.

I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas and a happy and safe New Year.
>It has been a while since I felt the need to write to all KCC members.  I
>have tried to just sit back and let the board of directors run the place
>without my help.  Ha Ha.  But, after receiving my bill this month and seeing
>the letter concerning smoking, I just have to speak up.
>
>
>
>It's a sad day when our board of directors decides to allow KCC to openly
>break the law in order to satisfy a very few members of KCC.  Over the past
>three years I may not have voted for all 9 board members but in this last
>election I did vote for all three of the new members.  I thought they were
>the strong leaders that would not allow our country club to lower itself to
>Spanky's.  (For all I know maybe Spank's is obeying the law, I have heard
>that Kissners is.)
>
>
>
>I will tell all KCC members, we were to dinner last night at Charlie's Down
>Under and had an excellent meal as usual.  Pete Lunberg told me his sales
>went up almost 20% when he took the plunge to completely non-smoking.  That
>was before there was an Ohio State Law prohibiting smoking in public places.
>So I guess I would like to ask all board members this question.  WHAT PART
>OF AGAINST THE LAW DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?
>
>
>
>I would encourage every KCC member to report KCC every time you walk in and
>there is smoking going on inside KCC.  I would also encourage every KCC
>member to forward this e-mail or create your own and send it to every board
>member.  Maybe if we all unite against the blatant act our board will start
>to represent the majority of members rather than a select few.
>
>
>
>If I were a board member, I would be more afraid of an employee who is
>against smoking suing KCC for subjecting them to second hand smoke when
>there is a state law on the books prohibiting it. 
>
>
>
>I could go on well into the night on this subject, but I will leave it at
>this.

Hittman

Re: Need Some Smoking Ban Help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:26:27 PM »

Check out my site: http://www.davehitt.com/facts/index.html  You'll find a wealth of information there about SHS.  You'll also find a page, Ban Links, that will give you hundreds of stories from hundreds of sources about places that have been forced out of business by smoking bans. 

I also have another hidden page that may be of some help.  E-mail me at hittman@davehitt.com for the link. 

Fighting nicotine Nazis is VERY difficult, but sometimes it can be done successfully. 

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »

Here's my reply. I decided over the top sarcasm was my mood this evening, rather than reasoned rebuttal. The Todd and Jerry comment is an homage to a complaint form the same jackass a few months ago.

a) Post the attached sign at the front entrance. You will find it posted at my place of business as well.

b) Distribute uniforms to all members for wearing on premises. An armband would probably suffice.

c) Require members to pledge allegiance to the flag of Ohio as they enter the building. Perhaps we could also institute a hand gesture of some kind indicating one's loyalty to the state.

d) Perhaps we could cut out the middle man altogether. Why let the government do our dirty work for us? One could simply hold a gun to the head of anyone found displaying signs of nonconformity. If they do not pay the fine, just pull the trigger. I am sure Todd and Jerry would not mind cleaning up the mess, since they do not have anything better to do than to work on their five iron.

I could make suggestions well into the night, but I will leave it at this.

gandhi2

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:57:54 PM »

Here's my reply. I decided over the top sarcasm was my mood this evening, rather than reasoned rebuttal. The Todd and Jerry comment is an homage to a complaint form the same jackass a few months ago.
You've got an obligation to live the way in which you please.  Anybody who wants to establish cadres is allowed to, I guess, but the club owner is also allow to just get rid of these people.

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:50:23 AM »

You've got an obligation to live the way in which you please.  Anybody who wants to establish cadres is allowed to, I guess, but the club owner is also allow to just get rid of these people.

The problem in this case, as with many clubs, is that it is collectively owned by the members. To join, you pay an initiation fee, and then monthly dues. It has a board of eight members that is elected every three years to make these kind of rules.

I am thinking about bringing a formal complaint (to the club, not to the state) that this guy threatened violence against me by encouraging everyone to rat us out to the state, employing the "gun in the room" argument that has been discussed at length recently.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »

There is the thing, you will lose.  I hope that helped.  They will also lose in NH and everywhere else in America.  I am pretty sure we will eventually be able to legalize smoking in parks, private clubs, and houses and cars with small children in NH but there is a good chance that most or all of those things will be banned everyewhere else.  Yeah for the devil.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Hittman

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 07:11:52 PM »

There is the thing, you will lose. I hope that helped. 

That is true most of the time.  But not always.  There are cases, not many, where the fight against nicotine Nazis has been successful. 

Of course, they always come back, so the fight is endless.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Need Some Smoking Ban Help

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.