Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  NEED HELP!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEED HELP!  (Read 2264 times)

theodorelogan

• View Profile
NEED HELP!
« on: September 09, 2006, 10:35:40 AM »

A person I talk with on an internet forum, who is a hardcore conservative, but who recently has indicated some interest in learning more about libertarian and free marketeer ideas, replied when I asked him if I could send him "Why government Doesn't Work", said he would rather that I emailed him something.

So what should I email this person.  I always second guess myself when it comes to these sort of "you get one shot to convince me, but I'll be open-minded".  What do you guys think?
Go figure...

RAD!

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »

Stuff from Mises.org not relating to war would be a good first choice...
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:47:42 PM »

cato.org also is very compatible with conservatives.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »

Actually, Lysander Spooner's No Treason was one of the first things that really turned me onto Anarcho-Capitalism.

Slim

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Freedom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Silm's Blog "Down With Big Brother"
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 03:04:24 PM »

Actually, Lysander Spooner's No Treason was one of the first things that really turned me onto Anarcho-Capitalism.
I think No Treason is a nice start you can send him a link to adventures in legal land http://adventuresinlegalland.com/ you can find No Treason on that site in audio form also nice for a MP3 player. I think Mises and Cato are great writings, he could also look at the http;//www.lp.org and the Advocates website http://www.self-gov.org
Bet you didn't know that toads came in three flavors. (Disturbing Behavior)
There were two sides to that billboard and they both hurt equally. (40 Year Old Virgin)

Kalnik

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 03:33:17 PM »

You got to start out with something simple.  You start throwing Lysander Spooner or some of these other suggestions you are likely to confuse and overwhelm someone. Send one or two things.  Something that is simple, easy to understand and encapsulates pretty much the entire libertarian philosophy. 

I prefer this
http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

It makes a solid libertarian case right up front.  It is easy to understand and is relatively short. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  NEED HELP!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 32 queries.