Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  My Standup comedy debut.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Standup comedy debut.  (Read 6966 times)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
My Standup comedy debut.
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:25:10 AM »

I was surprised at the reaction that I got.  I wasn't sure if stuff like abusive cocktail dads, police brutality, weightloss and suicide jokes were going to go over....

Critique away, but please, don't be a dick about it.  Constructive criticism only.

[youtube=425,350]9wq-4Z0jxBw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=</object>[/youtube]
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: My Standup comedy debut.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »

I thought it was pretty funny, it seems the crowd did too
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:53:19 PM »

MHO

Material was good barring the cop/thug and maybe the obama/iraq joke.

Delivery was good for a first time, not sure what to tell you except practice, obviously.

Also I think that's the first time I've heard the terms 'get busy' & 'husky' used in that sense, except on TV. :)

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »

MHO

Delivery was good for a first time, not sure what to tell you except practice, obviously.

Also I think that's the first time I've heard the terms 'get busy' & 'husky' used in that sense, except on TV. :)

thanks...  Yeah, I was nevous as hell.

I've been hearing the term husky most of my life...  LOL so I could use it...  words with hars consanants are funnyier than others..  Thanks for the info!
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

pretty good.  I can imagine you were pretty nervous,as I'm sure I would be as well.

One suggestion in addition to the delivery which will pretty much get better as you practice and get used to the public display--try to maybe work on smooth transitions between your topics.  For example, the bit about the 115 yo woman with the SS# of -3 moving into the story about you and your girlfriend was pretty abrupt.

best of luck, and keep posting more :D
Do yourself a favor.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »

[youtube=425,350]9wq-4Z0jxBw[/youtube]

Not bad, but don't quit your day job.  ;)

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »

pretty good.  I can imagine you were pretty nervous,as I'm sure I would be as well.

One suggestion in addition to the delivery which will pretty much get better as you practice and get used to the public display--try to maybe work on smooth transitions between your topics.  For example, the bit about the 115 yo woman with the SS# of -3 moving into the story about you and your girlfriend was pretty abrupt.

I know...  The only thing is that That is all I had ready...  I've got about 5 more that I am working on with a comedy buddy, and I rewrote part of the first joke.    The only joke that has no truth is the hpv joke...  that was  more about wordplay, and I screwed up the delivery of the obama joke.  They say to give each joke 3 trys if not, put it away for a rainy day.  If you noticed, once I started bashing the pigs, they transitioned more smoothly as it went along.

This shit isn't easy...  there is so much more that I need to work on such as riffing with the audience, dealing with hecklers, the holiday season is coming soon, so I've got to start working on that shit as well...  As far as the whole stage persona, that is how I am in real life...  That's not going to change much...  LOL

Thanks for the input!

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

[youtube=425,350]9wq-4Z0jxBw[/youtube]

Not bad, but don't quit your day job.  ;)

I don't have a day job....  I'm a self employed children's entertainer trying to make the move to a more adult friendly and smarter entertainment medium because being around the kids is fun and easy, but with fully grown adults, it's much harder and more fulfilling.  Once you start getting the laughs, then things get really fun.

Give it to libman to say something like that. What part of constructive criticism don't you understand?  I've got a joke partially written about forum trolls that I will be getting back to soon.  I will call it my tributr to the biggest forum troll in the world, Alex Libman.

I'd like to see if you try it.  I double-dog dare you!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:52:13 PM by miamiballoonguy »

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 02:46:41 PM »

MHO

Gabriel Iglesias uses the word husky quite a bit.  it's all about his act...  he's got the famous joke on the 4 stages of fatness...  chubby, big, husky, and DAAAAMN! or something like that.  I'm thinking of trying it with get it on instead of get busy.  I'll see how it goes tonight.

rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »

I know...  The only thing is that That is all I had ready...  I've got about 5 more that I am working on with a comedy buddy, and I rewrote part of the first joke.    The only joke that has no truth is the hpv joke...  that was  more about wordplay, and I screwed up the delivery of the obama joke.  They say to give each joke 3 trys if not, put it away for a rainy day.  If you noticed, once I started bashing the pigs, they transitioned more smoothly as it went along.

This shit isn't easy...  there is so much more that I need to work on such as riffing with the audience, dealing with hecklers, the holiday season is coming soon, so I've got to start working on that shit as well...  As far as the whole stage persona, that is how I am in real life...  That's not going to change much...  LOL

Thanks for the input!

yes, the transitions were certainly smoother towards the end of the act.  also, in regard to hecklers...I would abuse the shit out of them.  embarrass them to the point where they'll laugh awkwardly at the set, but go home and start crying in the bath tub.

I don't have a day job....  I'm a self employed children's entertainer trying to make the move to a more adult friendly and smarter entertainment medium because being around the kids is fun.

Give it to libman to say something like that.  LOL :lol:

oh shit...i didn't even think about that.  you should work on incorporating some balloon fun into your comedy act.  and kinda tangential, but the last time i was at the fair I saw some kids playing with swords made out of the big long balloons.  they looked like giants dicks and balls.  If I had a kid that wanted me to buy one of those I would totally say, "no, fuck that.  we're stopping at wal-mart on the way home and getting you a set of Nerf swords.  No child of mine is going to be seen playing with that suggestive balloon-art in public. "
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:54:41 PM by Kunst »
Do yourself a favor.

rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »

Gabriel Iglesias uses the word husky quite a bit.

haha.  it's funny because he's huge.
Do yourself a favor.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 02:55:49 PM »

Thanks for the input!

yes, the transitions were certainly smoother towards the end of the act.

I don't have a day job....  I'm a self employed children's entertainer trying to make the move to a more adult friendly and smarter entertainment medium because being around the kids is fun.

Give it to libman to say something like that.  LOL :lol:

oh shit...i didn't even think about that.  you should work on incorporating some balloon fun into your comedy act.  and kinda tangential, but the last time i was at the fair I saw some kids playing with swords made out of the big long balloons.  they looked like giants dicks and balls.  If I had a kid that wanted me to buy one of those I would totally say, "no, fuck that.  we're stopping at wal-mart on the way home and getting you a set of Nerf swords.  No child of mine is going to be seen playing with that suggestive balloon-art in public. "

That's the thing...  I have no desire to go blue in that fashion...  I'm smart and dark, not a pervert...  LOL  I've got this bit that I was doing for the parents at my kids parties, which is now relevant again.  I'll make a balloon dog, and say something like, I'll give this to the first person who promises that they will keep it away from michael vick...

I'll let you know how it came out.

rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

LOL  I've got this bit that I was doing for the parents at my kids parties, which is now relevant again.  I'll make a balloon dog, and say something like, I'll give this to the first person who promises that they will keep it away from michael vick...

I'll let you know how it came out.

HA!
Do yourself a favor.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

Gabriel Iglesias uses the word husky quite a bit.

haha.  it's funny because he's huge.

That is something that I am going to have to deal with as I lose weight.  At least the weightloss one will get funnier...

That guy has got to be pushing 400 pounds...  he makes me look thin.  He's in town this weekend and I am going to try to catch his act...

Bill Brasky

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »

It was good, but you need to loosen up a LOT.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  My Standup comedy debut.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.