Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  MW2 see's player as terrorist slaying innocents in airport
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MW2 see's player as terrorist slaying innocents in airport  (Read 8006 times)

fatcat

MW2 see's player as terrorist slaying innocents in airport
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:19:27 PM »

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Destructoid/videos/1102/

http://gamepolitics.com/2009/11/03/controversy-doesn%E2%80%99t-affect-mw2-pre-sales

For a series renowned for a lack of innovation and depth, this is actually an interesting move for them.

Its been one of the few instances that a game has provoked an albeit mild emotional response from me in killing people in game, when generally there tends to be a great dearth of connection between player kills and emotion, aside from the satisfaction of well timed headshot.

fuck knows the media gamer-rage-athon theres going to be when word of this gets to the mainstream outlets though. ITS A TERRIRIZT SIMULATOR!!!

(if the footage isn't faked that is).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:43:36 PM by fatcat »

Riddler

Re: MW2 see's player as terrorist slaying innocents in airport
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:46:11 PM »

Unfortunately, we can't find this video! Either it has been deleted, or it never existed in the first place.

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »

It does exist, but apparently it's being taken down rapidly when it surfaces. I've seen about 30 seconds of it, and it looked legit to me.
Bushi no ichi-gon

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »

Sounds like bullshit FUD to me.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:26:15 PM »

I saw the whole video when fatcat first posted it. It looked like a very detailed and complex game with moaning victims trying to crawl away, betrayal, fear, etc.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 03:16:03 AM »

That's a very astute and accurate description, yes.
Bushi no ichi-gon

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:22:40 AM »

I saw the whole video when fatcat first posted it. It looked like a very detailed and complex game with moaning victims trying to crawl away, betrayal, fear, etc.
And then you'll probably have to go in and hunt the terrorists down.  I seriously doubt they would include torturing innocents in a game of this scale.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

fatcat

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »

And then you'll probably have to go in and hunt the terrorists down.  I seriously doubt they would include torturing innocents in a game of this scale.

The character you play is a "deep" undercover CIA agent. He gets shot at the end of the level. Its not exactly torturing, just a massacre with pretty detailed animation and AI reactions. (or scripted that way at least).

Its still gonna kick up a shit storm, which im guessing is the reason it keeps getting pulled down.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:31:24 AM by fatcat »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »

I watched it when it was first posted- not something I'd enjoy playing.

FSP where you creep through an airport shooting people in business attire while they run away attempting to escape.

Maybe the challenge of the game is to see how demented you can pretend (hopefully) to be?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »

Infinity Ward has a history of eliciting strong emotional responses in the games I've played. The ending of Call of Duty 4, in particular, as well as a few other moments from the game stick out in my mind. I think this opening scene is not just pandering to the lowest shock-value common denominator, but instead attempting to show firsthand what the player will be fighting to stop. It's really not significantly worse than your average action movie. With this scene, the player will be emotionally connected to the events that follow. After all, does anyone ever really get a sense of the scale of destruction they're trying to prevent in a game like this?
Bushi no ichi-gon

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »

This game is insane.  For the record, video games aren't my thing and I've never played this one.  I've only seen it being played, but It's more real than anything I've ever seen on a console before.  The Smoke from the automatic gun fire will build up and envelope a room as one continues to fire.  I've never seen that before.  In addition, seeing the skirmish take place in what appeared to be a suburban setting was surreal; especially considering the crispness of the graphics.

However, the one thing that really caught my eye was a quote from Dick Cheney that appeared on the screen after your player had been killed:

"The only people who take liberty for granted are those who have never had it taken from them."
Do yourself a favor.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  That said, the difference is clearly between those who strike the root and those who don't.  I didn't get all upset when the muslim dude killed a bunch of people on a military base.  Compare that to 9/11.

blackie

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  That said, the difference is clearly between those who strike the root and those who don't.  I didn't get all upset when the muslim dude killed a bunch of people on a military base.  Compare that to 9/11.
Pentagon....struck the root.

NYC financial district.....stuck the root.

The foot soldiers are not the root of the problem.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:40:06 PM by blackie »

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  That said, the difference is clearly between those who strike the root and those who don't.  I didn't get all upset when the muslim dude killed a bunch of people on a military base.  Compare that to 9/11.
Pentagon....struck the root.

NYC financial district.....stuck the root.

I was referring to the latter, and I don't think that's the root.  I think foot soldiers are much more so the root than the bean counters and secretaries in the WTC were.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  MW2 see's player as terrorist slaying innocents in airport

// ]]>

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.