Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  MONEY STAMPING
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MONEY STAMPING  (Read 6746 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
MONEY STAMPING
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »

A few weeks ago there was a show about money stamping.  People were talking about getting rubber stamps and what not to stamp money.

Well, I decided to put my melon to the task and realized that ALMOST EVERYONE potentially has a "rubber stamp" for their money.

annnnd here it is.

Step 1 is to print this image, and it will generate a template, becuase it will print the exact size of a dollar onto a sheet of your printer paper.

Step 2 is to securely affix a dollar bill to the rectangle you just printed, so that it is as well aligned over that rectangle as possible.

Step 3 is to print this image over the dollar bill.
(Make sure you know how your printer prints to the paper in your paper feeder... Which side is the TOP of the sheet, and which way is up?  I figured this out by drawing an arrow on a sheet pointing into the printer on both sides, labeling one side top, and one side bottom. )

I taped the bill to the template by rolling up little wads of tape so that it was sticky on both sides, and then affixing those to four corners of the template, then pressing down firmly to affix the one dollar bill.

I used MS PAINT to open these images, and I think Windows opens all JPEGS by default as 96dpi (even though this JPEG is actually 300dpi) so you need to go to PAGE SETUP and set your print SCALE to 32%.

Step 4 (optional) Make your own templates using mine as a starting point. Mine isn't really that great and could easily be improved upon with some playing.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:27:24 PM by Johnson »
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: MONEY STAMPING
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »

Way to complicated for a single dollar bill.
Not that it matters, but this is actually a federal crime I believe.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »

Oh, here's the final product... the image is kind of crappy b/c I took the pic with my iphone but, you can see how well it prints onto the bill.

If I designed a better template, it could be really effective. The biggest problem, is that while all dollars are the same size, the printing on the bill isn't always centered, as you can see on this one... This is why the "stamp" isn't all in blank space, and there is some overlapping. :(

The quote I put for Washington came out really well though, so if I made a design that had a little more wiggle room to print... it could be quite good - or if one of you made a design... anyway... I felt I should let the market have at this idea...

"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

Way to complicated for a single dollar bill.
Not that it matters, but this is actually a federal crime I believe.

Part of the reason to "marketize" this idea.

1. It's a tad complicated for one bill - I agree. It could easily be modified cleverly to allow you to print a bunch at once.  You only need to do "step 1" the first time, then you can reuse that template - or maybe you could make an easier template or way of feeding the money through the printer.

2. It's a federal crime... no.

From the WheresGeorge.com FAQ
#8 Is it legal to write on or mark currency?

Where's George? does not encourage the defacement of U.S. Currency. The law defines 'illegal' defacement as defacement that renders bills unfit to be re-issued. For the legal details from the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing, please Click Here

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Jetfire

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:53:25 PM »

i would buy that stamp for cash and pull out my paycheck in all ones just to spread this out

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »

Well, the  point is that you don't need to buy it, just print it for free on your printer

Also, in thinking more on this... You could make 4 diagonal CUTS at the corners, once you've made the template... (like "photo corners")
Then you could tuck just the corners of the bill under the cuts in the template to hold it in place... Then you would not need tape (as long as the bill is pretty flat)

Then, you could make like... 10-20 of these templates... Load them up with bills... put the stack in your printer, and hit print with the number of copies set at 20. Bam, done, 20 bills 'stamped'.

Jetfire

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »

my printer sucks it would be easier to just buy a stamp and stamp the bills

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:49:16 PM »

The advantages to printing over a stamp are that you can get really precise placement by aligning a bill in a template.

The other idea I had along these lines... is, to print on a piece of heavy cardstock

WWW.FREETALKLIVE.COM

Then, you use an exactoknife to cut out the letters, (I know, tedious but worth it)

Once you have cut out the letters... put the bill under your new template, and give it a swipe with a silver or gold marker (the kind celebs use to sign photos and what not)

Sure, it's tedium to create the template... but easy as hell to use.

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 04:21:13 AM »

just buy a stamp that has enough characters for freetalklive.com

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 08:55:01 AM »

I guess I'm just the type to use 21st century technology to figure out a way to print 200 bills in under a minute, rather than just sticking to using ancient tech and wasting money buying it becuase it is too much of a bother to think. I'd rather have a tired brain than a tired arm from hitting a stamp over and over.

Nevermind that stamps can't print full color images, or that the price difference between a good self inking rubber stamp and inkjet printer is amazingly negligable...

Jetfire

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »

Nevermind that stamps can't print full color images, or that the price difference between a good self inking rubber stamp and inkjet printer is amazingly negligable...

u sure about that? a good inkjet printer? and the ink itself?  I dunno but i'd just prefer a stamp

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »

Johnson, did you actually deface federal property and attribute credit to FTL?

*Dubious Look*
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 12:58:40 PM »

www.uglymoney.com

Dont forget to always carry a fine-point sharpie for those delicious moments of spontenaiety.
Do yourself a favor.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »

You should follow more of this format:

Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:41 AM »

No no no! Don't use loaded words like slavery when you want to talk about a problem. any problem. It makes you look like an idiot, and people will dismiss your message.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  MONEY STAMPING

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.