Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Moderator Changes  (Read 56627 times)

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: Moderator Changes
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »

Brasky is a great guy. Aunt Bee isn't a total asshole. They used to get along and I'd say even chummy until Aunt Bee started changing his username to racist stuff I'd never post, and then playing dumb and demanding a list of permitted and non-permitted words.

Right at that point I believe he should have been banned for a week.  No screwing around.

He comes back and does it again?  Two weeks.

Again?  Two months.

-/-

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »

Oh..  and as I have been anointed a Global Moderator I have used my new ability to designate assawyer a member of the "FTL Crew." 

He is the FTL Facebook page admin and also a #LRN chat operator...  so as he donates his time to the furtherance of FTL and LRN, I believe he deserves the title.   8)
-/-

assawyer

• FTL Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:57 PM »

You kinda stepped in into the middle of a conflict that has spread across months and probably a half dozen threads. I totally get that that can tint your view of the situation. Totally understandable.

Just keep in mind what Brasky has DONE versus what he had said. Also, watch carefully exactly what he says rather than how he says it.
Which is why I made the initial post in the first place, outsiders/new posters would likely have a very different view of Brasky than others that have followed what he's said and done. I pretty much said "knock the ess off" without using those words; harsh, yes, but I don't mind calling it how I see it even if it puts me in a hornets nest.  8)

Bill Brasky

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »

I don't know a lot of the behind the scenes.
So, why are you including yourself in a months-old argument, if you don't know a fucking thing about it?  

To me, this speaks volumes.  
I am sorry, I didn't know this was a private behind-the-scenes conversation...  :?

I wouldn't dream or dare to presume my position is valid, if I were you.  Its like watching the last half-hour of a movie, and telling everyone you're an expert on the plot.
You are horrible with analogies. Your analogy presupposes that I somehow indicated I was an expert on you, the BBS moderator flame war, or life in general. I never did so. I merely pointed out that you were and are flying off the handle and it seemed unjustified; while pointing out that I don't know a lot of the back-story. I purposely indicated that I was only responding to your current outburst which seemed over-the-top.

I suggest that you soften your responses if you want to win friends and influence people in this new era of FTL BBS.

Its a fine analogy, and I'll stick with it.  If you want to throw your two cents into the ring, go review the shit you're commenting on.

I don't care what you are, then or now. 

Nobody says I have to like you.

assawyer

• FTL Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »

Oh..  and as I have been anointed a Global Moderator I have used my new ability to designate assawyer a member of the "FTL Crew." 
Oooooh, pretty blue stars and a fancy title!  :D
He is the FTL Facebook page admin and also a #LRN chat operator...  so as he donates his time to the furtherance of FTL and LRN,
It is all true, though I am "one" of the FTL Facebook page admins. I can't take all the credit.

I believe he deserves the title.   8)
"I would appreciate it if you would address me as Colonel or Sir. I believe I've earned it." (7:41 for quote the time specific link doesn't work on embedding  :x)

Bill Brasky

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »

I can ban Brasky. I just checked. If he pulls one of his mod power trips again, I will.

Good, go ahead.  

Try to keep one thing in mind..  They're words.  Until I take actions, the words are no different than any other words.  So if you're offended by, basically, a trolling story, you're stupid.

Also, I noticed your bomb threads have toned down.  Why is that?

You're a fucking hypocrite.  Just so you know.  Ban me for telling a story that gets people excited.  Grow the fuck up.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »

These damn young whippersnappers!  Sheesh!

assawyer

• FTL Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »

So, why are you including yourself in a months-old argument, if you don't know a fucking thing about it?  

I am sorry, I didn't know this was a private behind-the-scenes conversation...  :?

I wouldn't dream or dare to presume my position is valid, if I were you.  Its like watching the last half-hour of a movie, and telling everyone you're an expert on the plot.
You are horrible with analogies. Your analogy presupposes that I somehow indicated I was an expert on you, the BBS moderator flame war, or life in general. I never did so. I merely pointed out that you were and are flying off the handle and it seemed unjustified; while pointing out that I don't know a lot of the back-story. I purposely indicated that I was only responding to your current outburst which seemed over-the-top.

I suggest that you soften your responses if you want to win friends and influence people in this new era of FTL BBS.

Its a fine analogy, and I'll stick with it.  If you want to throw your two cents into the ring, go review the shit you're commenting on.

Never asked for anyone to care about me "then or now." I read the entire thread before commenting in the thread and it was limited to your postings within the thread. I came at you harsh because you appeared to be way off base and was sarcastic by posting the ignore list url. If you want to move forward I would like that. If you want to stay mad with me that's up to you. I can use colorful language too while making demands, but would more or less people think I'm a fucking hot head...?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »

You guys are discussing this like it's an epic battle. It's a fucking BBS.

Shaw & Brasky- I changed my name once. One time, Shaw. I forget the exact words and order but it went something like this: "Chink Spic Faggot Kike".

Why did I do this? Because it was announced that a word filter was now in place to guard against bigotry.

My point? To illustrate that bigotry isn't addressed in completion by censoring The N Word only.

Contrary to Shaw's words, I never demanded any words be added to the filter.

My opinion about the word filter? The filter is nonsense, it's a useless form of soft-censorship. Especially when it only serves to protect one group.

Can anyone here, particularly the mods, tell me why "The N Word" carries more weight as an insult than "faggot" does?

I've answered your questions. No one, particularly the mods, have given a good answer to that question. The closest attempt was from Brasky. I don't remember his exact words but it was indicated that there were conditions where it might be acceptable to use "faggot" or "cracker". I didn't argue that point, it speaks for itself- it might be OK to use faggot sometimes, but never The N Word. Is that the policy? Because if it isn't then those words will be filtered out when I post this.

If that sounds like "race baiting" to you, mods, ask yourself what the real issue is. Sounds more like you don't want to admit that you prefer a tougher stance on protecting the feelings some groups over others.

If this is me "trolling" why I am the one answering questions, repeatedly, in detail, staying on topic each time as a result of the mods not bothering to own up to their mistakes. My mistake is pointing out an obvious loophole in a shitty approach to feel-goodness. Oops. Won't happen again.

Can I take a stab at this as someone who might be slightly more objective by virtue of not being familiar with the old argument (at least I've forgotten if I did see it).

Maybe cause you're stirring shit up again after it felt all settled? And maybe Shaw is being as honest as he possibly can be. You sound kinda like a bigot to me by being upset about not being able to say "nigger" with wild abandon. Do I KNOW you're a bigot? No. Am I really confident you're a bigot? No. I just kinda suspect you are. Like was said, you seem obsessed.

And now you're arguing with the mods about policy, which makes you kinda sound like a troll to boot. That matters way more than being racist on a forum. A racist who is trying to persuade would actually carefully word their arguments to not directly offend because that interferes with actual persuasion. A troll will push buttons because they like to stir shit up and get attn, even negative attn. They often are entertained by it, i.e. they are entertained at the expense of others having a good experience and trying to have productive or at least fun discussions. Either that ore they just suck at persuasion and will resort to pushing to keep a discussion going when others have gotten bored with them.

Dale-

I'm not stirring shit up. I'm responding to the continuation of being called a bigot.

Check all my posts. I don't use the word "nigger" online or in real life. I'm not upset that people aren't allowed to say it here. I'm not offended when they do say it here or in real life. It's a word. When I first signed up it was a favorite word of BJ- used way too frequently to be funny - but I wasn;t offended. If I'm obsessed with anything it's with trying to sort out how white people have become so sensitive to The N Word that all other verbal insults aimed at any other group, even their own, don't matter any more. I don't understand that at all and have just attributed it to white guilt or a sensation or rush of some sort from participating in a witch hunt. It's mindless, sad and a little funny.

If the mods are enforcing a rule that doesn't make sense is trolling, then FTL and the FSP are the biggest trolls in the country. It's trolling to question/expose bad policy? I'll make a note o' that.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone in any way and this hasn't been entertaining in a very long time.

The BBS has a weak policy regarding racism & bigotry. It isn't "trolling" to point that out. I would have ditched this discussion long ago had accusations of me being a bigot stopped.

I don't think I could possibly be any more clear on any of this.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »

Brasky is a great guy. Aunt Bee isn't a total asshole. They used to get along and I'd say even chummy until Aunt Bee started changing his username to racist stuff I'd never post, and then playing dumb and demanding a list of permitted and non-permitted words.

It's this kinda shit.

I thank you for the friendly nod, but I changed my name to include racist and homophobic words once - to question why they weren't in the word filter that is designed to prevent racist and bigoted words from appearing on the BBS. I never played dumb about any of this and never demanded anything from anyone.

Twilight Zone..
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »

I would think the best way to show you're not a racist would be to stop using offensive language usually associated with people who are racist.  If you thought they should censor words other than the "n word", you could have sent a PM or email or something.  There's no need to set the additional words you think should be censored as your username.  That's pretty much just trolling.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »

I would think the best way to show you're not a racist would be to stop using offensive language usually associated with people who are racist.  If you thought they should censor words other than the "n word", you could have sent a PM or email or something.  There's no need to set the additional words you think should be censored as your username.  That's pretty much just trolling.
Nothing wrong with trolling... to an extent.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »

It's this kinda shit.

I thank you for the friendly nod, but I changed my name to include racist and homophobic words once - to question why they weren't in the word filter that is designed to prevent racist and bigoted words from appearing on the BBS. I never played dumb about any of this and never demanded anything from anyone.

Twilight Zone..

Because the word filter isn't programmed to work on usernames.

The intelligent man would've, maybe, out of curiosity, changed it, found the answer, then resumed normal life.

You left it for several days.  As a challenge. 

You can try to make it as pretty as you want.  I am not new to this game.   

Bill Brasky

« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »

Never asked for anyone to care about me "then or now." I read the entire thread before commenting in the thread and it was limited to your postings within the thread. I came at you harsh because you appeared to be way off base and was sarcastic by posting the ignore list url. If you want to move forward I would like that. If you want to stay mad with me that's up to you. I can use colorful language too while making demands, but would more or less people think I'm a fucking hot head...?

I deemed you were a hothead when you stuck your face into where it doesn't belong.

You read one thread, theres hundreds.  You have to live here day to day and watch it unfold, and be a part of the experience, like a domestic squabble that gets worse and worse.

Next time you're arguing with your woman-wife-girlfriend, and it's two months worth of back-story, see how you react to some dick intruding in the middle of the food court at the mall, being a third wheel in a place where he has no business chiming in.

Maybe my new hobby will be to nitpick everything YOU comment on, among my other interests. 

(actually, that won't happen, because that would be pretty lame)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »

Dale-

I'm not stirring shit up. I'm responding to the continuation of being called a bigot.
<plus a lot of other stuph>

Not a bad response.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes

// ]]>

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 32 queries.