Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Moderator Changes  (Read 56625 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Moderator Changes
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »

Why are people still allowed to change their names?  As someone who doesn't follow the drama here and all that mess, it's pretty confusing when people change their display names at will.  I thought we were trying to decrease the anonymity here?

I thought the board was much better before the name change policy was implemented.  It was easier to get to know who's who.  I figure that many of the people posting in this thread know who everyone is all the time, so I figured I'd throw that out there as a major problem for the "casual user" crowd.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »

Johnny Carson, are you dragline?  me thinks you are.

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »

Johnny Carson, are you dragline?  me thinks you are.

I doubt it, but it turns out he definitely was someone who didn't belong here. He's gone now.

assawyer

• FTL Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »

I don't know a lot of the behind the scenes.
So, why are you including yourself in a months-old argument, if you don't know a fucking thing about it?  

To me, this speaks volumes.  
I am sorry, I didn't know this was a private behind-the-scenes conversation...  :?

I wouldn't dream or dare to presume my position is valid, if I were you.  Its like watching the last half-hour of a movie, and telling everyone you're an expert on the plot.
You are horrible with analogies. Your analogy presupposes that I somehow indicated I was an expert on you, the BBS moderator flame war, or life in general. I never did so. I merely pointed out that you were and are flying off the handle and it seemed unjustified; while pointing out that I don't know a lot of the back-story. I purposely indicated that I was only responding to your current outburst which seemed over-the-top.

I suggest that you soften your responses if you want to win friends and influence people in this new era of FTL BBS.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2011, 03:57:37 PM »

It is unfortunate that there are so many inter-personal conflicts amongst the moderation staff here.  Personally, to me, you all seem like really nice people who have gotten under each others skin in various ways.  It is bound to happen in real life, and even more bound to happen with assertive and opinionated people such as we are.

If it is possible to put all that aside and just focus all efforts towards making this community a more enjoyable place for FTL listeners, I am sure the site usage will once again increase.  Of course, I believe this will require people to show respect for people they may not personally care for...  if for nothing other than the goal of working together to get this place jump started again.

:)
-/-

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »

What a clusterfuck.   :shock:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »

I've found it to be a rather entertaining clusterfuck.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »

I've found it to be a rather entertaining clusterfuck.

I'll give you that.  Ha.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »

inter-personal conflicts amongst the moderation staff here.

The whole cleanup and rebuild of the BBS was predicated by mods having their hands tied and relying upon their words rather than the ability to actually moderate properly.

In the past it was required for mods to scream and yell and cajole and beg for literally a couple years at a time to deal with a problem child.

This stuff will ease off in a short time. All debates of racism aside, Aunt Bee has been baiting Brasky for months and needs to drop it. Until he does Brasky is probably gonna be hostile.

Aunt Bee was changing his username between a bunch of really, REALLY offensive racial epithets. This is not debatable and is verified by many sources, mods included.

This is ongoing stuff that will settle down in a few days or weeks. We're all adjusting here, give it some time.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »

Well...the good news is that most people like me.   :D

...if the don't - fuck 'em.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

It is unfortunate that there are so many inter-personal conflicts amongst the moderation staff here.  Personally, to me, you all seem like really nice people who have gotten under each others skin in various ways.  It is bound to happen in real life, and even more bound to happen with assertive and opinionated people such as we are.

Outside of a few very persistant violent/race-baiting trolls, I think many of the conflicts seem larger than they are.
The moderators cover wide areas of the board, making easy targets for anybody who wants to pick a fight.
Instead of an argument staying in one place, it ends up being everywhere you browse.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »

Outside of a few very persistant violent/race-baiting trolls, I think many of the conflicts seem larger than they are.
The moderators cover wide areas of the board, making easy targets for anybody who wants to pick a fight.
Instead of an argument staying in one place, it ends up being everywhere you browse.

Perhaps this could be resolved by simply making moderation more private than public?

On #LRN I try to PM people first and ask them politely to stop whatever thing their doing that is unacceptable.  Why not do that here as policy rather than situational?  Making moderation more private would remove the mods from conflict around what they're doing. 
-/-

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »

If it is possible to put all that aside and just focus all efforts towards making this community a more enjoyable place for FTL listeners, I am sure the site usage will once again increase.  Of course, I believe this will require people to show respect for people they may not personally care for...  if for nothing other than the goal of working together to get this place jump started again.

:)
This is the post apocalyptic biker bar of message boards.
Oh... you should have seen what I just deleted.
There are some very interesting developments. So far I just wish that Hellbilly had excepted mod position. Otherwise I am pleased.

assawyer

• FTL Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »

Bill Brasky is making it easier for me to think that he's difficult to deal with and what people have said about him in this thread have more credibility.

Your interactions with him must have been limited so far. This stuff is a culmination of a couple years of back and forth between quite a few users.

Brasky is one of the mellower people around here and an all around good guy.

People aren't allowed to post racist crap on the BBS.

Hellbilly/Aunt Bee has, in the past, taken, shall we say, ambiguous stances on the issue of race, and definitely has a... significant interest in the subject and pushing the boundaries, if not relentlessly and offensively then at least consistently.

Consistently to the point where I and other people on the BBS, mods or not, have called him a racist. He chooses to deny this by saying that he is ""Not a bigot."

Fine.

But at the center of every single topic about race and racism and ethnicity and all of that wrapped up with genetics you will find no one on the BBS more active than "Aunt Bee"

I've had angry and annoyed outbursts about it, other people have as well. Brasky deserves a turn.

The fact that Aunt Bee/Hellbilly continues to be tolerated in regards to this subject is that he never pokes more than a couple toes over the line, and we are, in fact tolerant, contrary to what some people may tell you.

But lemme tell you this - There's a threshold for dancing on the line. Toes in, wiggling fingers over it, pissing over it, that sort of thing has eventual limits.

Brasky is a mod. He hasn't banned Aunt Bee. He has told him to knock it off, and now to fuck off.

Aunt Bee will probably gladly admit that he's trying to push buttons. Well he pushed 'em and now he got yelled at. Aw shucks.
This is what I would have preferred to see from Brasky. I appreciate there is a lot of back-and-forth that I am not aware of. If "Brasky is one of the mellower people" he definitely isn't showing it in this thread.

Moving on, hopefully the race baiting trolls will be stamped out and moderators will punish them and other miscreants accordingly.  Love live FTL BBS 2.0.1

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »

This is what I would have preferred to see from Brasky. I appreciate there is a lot of back-and-forth that I am not aware of. If "Brasky is one of the mellower people" he definitely isn't showing it in this thread.

Yeah but peeps get angry yo. Everyone knows I've had my moments. You kinda stepped in into the middle of a conflict that has spread across months and probably a half dozen threads. I totally get that that can tint your view of the situation. Totally understandable.

Just keep in mind what Brasky has DONE versus what he had said. Also, watch carefully exactly what he says rather than how he says it.

He's still in conversation, he hasn't threatened, he hasn't made a lot of personal attacks.

Sure, he hostile, and he's making his wishes known. Again, everyone has their moments. I've had total hissy fits. I was justified in being angry too.

As I said in another thread, I think mods should be as free as other users to say what they think.

Brasky is a great guy. Aunt Bee isn't a total asshole. They used to get along and I'd say even chummy until Aunt Bee started changing his username to racist stuff I'd never post, and then playing dumb and demanding a list of permitted and non-permitted words.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.