Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Moderator Changes  (Read 56257 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Re: Moderator Changes
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2011, 11:54:31 PM »

Word filter broken? Change of policy? What gives?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »

From my point of view (someone who considers Ian to be a friend and wants to help him spread the messages of liberty) I believe that moderation should be done in a manner that reflects professionally upon Ian's business.

Example:  Dragline was in the #LRN chat and was tossing the n-word around in every 4th or 5th sentence.  He was also throwing in an occasional Jewish insult.  During this time, a new LRN listener was in the room...  from Ghana.  Now, I cannot say with certainty that the new listener was black, but I think it is safe to assume so.  Dragline doing this is what caused me to ban him.  (I've since unbanned him...  a week later.)  If nothing had been done and I was that fellow from Ghana, I would probably be thinking that LRN.fm is a group of racist a-holes from the USA.  I privately messaged this guy and told him that I was sorry another chatter was behaving that way and that it was something that we certainly do not tolerate.  Hopefully, that caused him to eliminate the fact that LRN.fm has anything to do with that type of behavior.

To LRN's new listener, in the chat listening to a LRN broadcast, I believe allowing this type of racist remarking comes off very unprofessional for LRN.fm.  We are only as good as the bad conduct we allow others amongst us to get away with...  and I for one believe strongly in the message of liberty, peace, and equality.

That's my take  8)
-/-

BonerJoe

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2011, 12:02:33 AM »

Word filter broken? Change of policy? What gives?

Banned.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »

Example:  Dragline was in the #LRN chat and was tossing the n-word around in every 4th or 5th sentence.  He was also throwing in an occasional Jewish insult.  During this time, a new LRN listener was in the room...  from Ghana. 

Yeah, that's the guy I banned and caused this delayed shitstorm with.

This whole thing was about me banning that guy.

Don't even get me started bro.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Bill Brasky

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2011, 12:04:49 AM »

No, I wouldn't have taken the Mod spot. Not for free anyway... hope the mods are at least getting a t-shirt or something ( <--psst Ian, it's a hint).

Since Brasky finally has grown a pair and is naming names (saying who the assholes are, and includes me amongst them) instead of bashfully hiding behind way too many words.. I don't think Brasky and I had any real disagreements here until the word filter came into play. I don't think anyone can come up with a good argument for why it's wrong to type nigger but OK to type faggot, kyke.. etc. etc. - but no, I wasn't trying to dwell in a gray area, I was making a specific point. One that still hasn't been answered, and can't be in any meaningful way as long as the double standard exists here.

No idea, Brasky, why you're so emotional about this. Dig in the archives, you'll find a post or two from yourself where you rag on ragheads and have typed nigger a few times. No one got hurt, as far as I know. I wasn't offended. Most big boys aren't.

...even I'm tired of this argument by now..

A tip for ya- instead of talking about writing a book, write one. Instead of following the footsteps of drunken (by the way, I haven't been drunk in years - something you alluded to in your post regarding me) beat poets, do something original. You draw inspiration from characters on TV and movies? ("The Dude" was your handle on here for awhile, it's how I've pictured you since) - how about being the guy who creates characters that other people are inspired by? Cryptic sentences in your comments are frequently quotes from movies.. wasted talent. You try too hard to be "deep", "edgy" and "brooding" - it's readily apparent to those of us for whom it comes naturally.

I rarely engage in any sort of flame war on a personal level, you opened the book though. I'm just still kinda surprised by how righteous you're coming off, as if you're somehow a victim of Ian's BBS Mod policies and you were just forced to be noble as a response to such effrontery coming from such a casual browser of the BBS.

You shitheaded me
I expected as much and didn't care
I asked you about the double standard
You change that text to include such a mature response as "cocks"
I asked again about the double standard and honestly don't remember what your reply was but it's still here I think..

test: faggot kyke spic chink nigger redneck honky cracker

The reason is because it went past bullshit.  The owner asked that it stop.  

CAN YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND PRIVATE PROPERTY?

Can you fucking understand people trying to make a living?

Can you understand a request asked a hundred fucking times?

Yes, you can dig up any number of things I've said, I'm as rude as they come.  

But you cannot dig up one fucking thing where someone asked me to stop because it was their property and they requested I wouldn't do that.

You're a fucking asshole, man.  You can argue it as much as you want.  

I don't care how much you try to justify it under the guise of free speech or any nonsense.

I asked you nicely about a dozen times to knock it the fuck off, as a friend.  And you spit in my face.  And for that, I lost whatever respect I had.

So go fuck yourself.  You can't rebuild that.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2011, 12:06:35 AM »

Example:  Dragline was in the #LRN chat and was tossing the n-word around in every 4th or 5th sentence.  He was also throwing in an occasional Jewish insult.  During this time, a new LRN listener was in the room...  from Ghana.  

I don't know if the FTL BBS and the LRN.fm chatroom are exactly the same thing.  Here, conversations can be read from a long time ago...  the crowd also seems to be fairly constant.  In the LRN.fm chat, lots of transients come through.  First impression is an important thing and as LRN.fm is a business (one that wants to sell ads to advertisers) that requires listeners...  I think it is more important to ensure that rules be a little stricter in the chat so that new people who come to listen to the audio have a good taste in their mouth.  Does that make sense?

This is what I have been trying to do there...  and I haven't heard any negative feedback from Ian or Johnson.  I am sure if they disagreed with my direction of moderation, they would say something.

...  and if they did, I would change to what they wanted.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:08:07 AM by Highline »
-/-

Bill Brasky

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2011, 12:11:04 AM »

Example:  Dragline was in the #LRN chat and was tossing the n-word around in every 4th or 5th sentence.  He was also throwing in an occasional Jewish insult.  During this time, a new LRN listener was in the room...  from Ghana.  

I don't know if the FTL BBS and the LRN.fm chatroom are exactly the same thing.  Here, conversations can be read from a long time ago...  the crowd also seems to be fairly constant.  In the LRN.fm chat, lots of transients come through.  First impression is an important thing and as LRN.fm is a business (one that wants to sell ads to advertisers) that requires listeners...  I think it is more important to ensure that rules be a little stricter in the chat so that new people who come to listen to the audio have a good taste in their mouth.  Does that make sense?

This is what I have been trying to do there...  and I haven't heard any negative feedback from Ian or Johnson.  I am sure if they disagreed with my direction of moderation, they would say something.

Here we get a lot of "guests", they can be seen browsing the forum.  Very few join.  And lots of people have left. 

Personally, I believe it's because the most current posts are often heavily argumentative.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:12 AM »

I don't know if the FTL BBS and the LRN.fm chatroom are exactly the same thing.  Here, conversations can be read from a long time ago...  the crowd also seems to be fairly constant.  In the LRN.fm chat, lots of transients come through.  First impression is an important thing and as LRN.fm is a business (one that wants to sell ads to advertisers) that requires listeners...  

All true apart from the fact that the BBS could be used for the same purpose and with similar levels of success if not for the fact of its current reputation, you know?

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »

Example:  Dragline was in the #LRN chat and was tossing the n-word around in every 4th or 5th sentence.  He was also throwing in an occasional Jewish insult.  During this time, a new LRN listener was in the room...  from Ghana. 

I don't know if the FTL BBS and the LRN.fm chatroom are exactly the same thing.  Here, conversations can be read from a long time ago...  the crowd also seems to be fairly constant.  In the LRN.fm chat, lots of transients come through.  First impression is an important thing and as LRN.fm is a business (one that wants to sell ads to advertisers) that requires listeners...  I think it is more important to ensure that rules be a little stricter in the chat so that new people who come to listen to the audio have a good taste in their mouth.  Does that make sense?

This is what I have been trying to do there...  and I haven't heard any negative feedback from Ian or Johnson.  I am sure if they disagreed with my direction of moderation, they would say something.

Here we get a lot of "guests", they can be seen browsing the forum.  Very few join.  And lots of people have left. 

Personally, I believe it's because the most current posts are often heavily argumentative.

I don't know if the FTL BBS and the LRN.fm chatroom are exactly the same thing.  Here, conversations can be read from a long time ago...  the crowd also seems to be fairly constant.  In the LRN.fm chat, lots of transients come through.  First impression is an important thing and as LRN.fm is a business (one that wants to sell ads to advertisers) that requires listeners...  

All true apart from the fact that the BBS could be used for the same purpose and with similar levels of success if not for the fact of its current reputation, you know?

Very good points. 

I just think that racist rhetoric is like violent rhetoric...  something that we who believe in liberty and peace shouldn't want anywhere near us.  Just my .02.

-/-

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2011, 12:16:20 AM »

No, Brasky, you didn't as me. Not once.

The policy was about a day old. I tested it and was Rubber-Roomed by my next visit. It wasn't a big deal then, it isn't now.

And yes, I do understand. Do you recall me saying that I run a BBS myself? I'm the 2nd owner, it's been up since the 90's. It's had seasons of success. It is a model community of like minded people with similar goals. Everyone is polite, there are occasional flare-ups that are dealt with as well as the usual problem of spam and whatnot.

Even considering all of those positives- traffic has dropped drastically. That sucks. But it's more of a personal loss as opposed to a financial one for me, as that BBS has never accepted advertising (I get offers weekly) - not even a loss really as many members have simply rejoined on facebook.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »

Very good points. 

I just think that racist rhetoric is like violent rhetoric...  something that we who believe in liberty and peace shouldn't want anywhere near us.  Just my .02.

Agreed.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2011, 12:22:24 AM »

Whoa!!!

I come back after a few days absence and the whole place and everyone in it has gone apeshit.

Way to shit-stir, Ian!!  :lol:

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2011, 12:25:13 AM »

I don't know if the FTL BBS and the LRN.fm chatroom are exactly the same thing.  Here, conversations can be read from a long time ago...  the crowd also seems to be fairly constant.  In the LRN.fm chat, lots of transients come through.  First impression is an important thing and as LRN.fm is a business (one that wants to sell ads to advertisers) that requires listeners...  I think it is more important to ensure that rules be a little stricter in the chat so that new people who come to listen to the audio have a good taste in their mouth.  Does that make sense?

This is what I have been trying to do there...  and I haven't heard any negative feedback from Ian or Johnson.  I am sure if they disagreed with my direction of moderation, they would say something.

Very good points. 

Highline - how is reverse racism handled at your forum?

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2011, 12:30:45 AM »

Very good points. 

Highline - how is reverse racism handled at your forum?

Well, it isn't my forum, it is Ian's.  I just volunteer my time to help him.

What do you mean by reverse racism?  Like someone calling a white person a cracker?  I would say that qualifies as bigotry.
-/-

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »

Highline is now a moderator.  8)
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.