Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Moderator Changes  (Read 56270 times)

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Moderator Changes
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:02:22 PM »

Thanks to Shaw and Brasky for moderating the BBS for so long. 

It is time to change things up a bit and Aunt Bee and Laetitia have been selected by a consultant.  Of course, they did not ask for it, so guys, if you don't want it, please let me know and feel free to nominate additional mods.

Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Fred

• View Profile
Re: Moderator Changes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »

I think I'm gonna miss John and Brasky,  but I guess change is the only constant in life...

Hope you guys stay around and make posts!

Is this connected to bitcoins?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:21:42 PM by Fred »

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »

Oh, come now. Everyone knows Brasky is the One True God.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »

Roycerson is also now a mod.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:29 AM »

Roycerson is also now a mod.
Seriously?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

One two three

• View Profile
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »

It is time to change things up a bit and Aunt Bee and Laetitia have been selected by a consultant.  Of course, they did not ask for it, so guys, if you don't want it, please let me know and feel free to nominate additional mods.

What exactly would my moderator duties be?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:26:47 AM »

I would say "You're welcome", but you're actually not.  I reserve that sentiment for people who appreciate my efforts, it's not something I just say automatically.

You were welcome, up until the moment you "consulted" some magpies who reiterate whatever you wanted to hear in a closed-door situation rather than having a discussion with the actual involved participants. 

So, you go ahead and install some new blood, which is actually irrelevant to my commentary, I wanted to be out of this nonsense about a year ago, but since I like John I didn't want to see him have to deal with idiots all by himself. 

Inevitably, your new "mods" will have to make the same decisions I had to.  Which is to protect your property from illegal data, and discourage hate speech.  The people who you've selected to perform those duties are incapable of that, as they have resolutely and adamantly defended the so-called "rights" of people to post those statements.  They fail to understand the ultimate outcome of defending those actions endangers the owner (you) at the whims and follies of defacing private property (yours), as they push the envelope with zero risk to themselves.

So, good luck with the assholes.  If anything it'll be interesting to watch. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »

You will have to ban people who like to say bad things to arouse conflict, determine the legality things posted, and be on the lookout for illegal images of several kinds.  

People like to post that stuff specifically for the purposes of fighting with you, as they see it as a soapbox and/or extension of their "rights to free speech".

You'll also have to beware of sockpuppet trolling, (IE, two or more accounts to arouse conflict from numerous positions and/or stalking and baiting).

You'll notice there has been a decline of that behavior, which I attribute directly to a policy of unpredictable behavior on my part.  Most people behave normally, a few people don't.  It is the few that will challenge you on the "boilerplate" of the TOS for enjoyment on their part.  That gets old fast, and which is why I eventually morphed into a more distant policy-maker who doesn't engage in the detail-heavy discussions of what's acceptable.  

Most people inherently know what's acceptable.  The few also know, and prefer to stray to the unacceptable and then twist around in the gray area for the sake of argument.  

Inevitably the politeness will erode, and you'll have to spend hours arguing with assholes who insist on being assholes, since you, personally, are unlikely to embrace the full range of mod's abilities.  

Good luck.  

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »

Have I mentioned lately how much I admire and revere women?

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »

I would say "You're welcome", but you're actually not.  I reserve that sentiment for people who appreciate my efforts, it's not something I just say automatically.

I appreciate the efforts of the mods, for what it's worth. I'm not sure exactly what all it is you did, but I'm pretty sure I'd have been seeing a hell of a lot more spam without you. Plus, I don't think I've had to hit the Ignore button on anyone in quite some time.

So, you go ahead and install some new blood, which is actually irrelevant to my commentary, I wanted to be out of this nonsense about a year ago, but since I like John I didn't want to see him have to deal with idiots all by himself. 

Inevitably, your new "mods" will have to make the same decisions I had to.  Which is to protect your property from illegal data, and discourage hate speech.  The people who you've selected to perform those duties are incapable of that, as they have resolutely and adamantly defended the so-called "rights" of people to post those statements.  They fail to understand the ultimate outcome of defending those actions endangers the owner (you) at the whims and follies of defacing private property (yours), as they push the envelope with zero risk to themselves.

So, good luck with the assholes.  If anything it'll be interesting to watch. 

It's possible you weren't referring to me, BUT...

I will defend the right of an asshole to voice his opinion on any topic, even if I strongly disagree and it's something I find offensive, but that doesn't mean I'd let somebody plaster the boards with it. There's a huge difference between making an unpopular statement on a topic and running around the bbs, throwing shit on everyone's conversations just for the sake of throwing shit.

----------edit---------
Just saw your list of mod duties, Brasky. More appreciation for the new 'former mods', as it sounds like you do have to deal with a lot of shit thrown just for the sake of throwing shit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:59:20 AM by Laetitia »
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Moderator Changes

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.