Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Modem Router
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Modem Router  (Read 5392 times)

eukreign

• View Profile
Modem Router
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »

Anyone have advice on a router with built in modem functionality? I currently have cable internet but will be moving to a place with dialup and would like to just swap out the router without changing my internal network much.

eukreign

• View Profile
Re: Modem Router
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »

Just to clarify, that's a regular modem for dialup, NOT a DSL modem.

Paul-ish

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Free Market
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:23:40 PM »

Dial up? Dial up is a joke of the 90's. I have only seen very few of these dial up modem-routers, and they were all in magazines. Why? because LAN and dial up internet are not good friends whether for office or games. I would just suggest getting DSL or cable again but that is expensive.

eukreign

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 07:27:28 PM »

Dial up? Dial up is a joke of the 90's. I have only seen very few of these dial up modem-routers, and they were all in magazines. Why? because LAN and dial up internet are not good friends whether for office or games. I would just suggest getting DSL or cable again but that is expensive.

DSL and cable is not available everywhere.

Paul-ish

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Free Market
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 07:32:39 PM »

Oh yea i know that, which is really to bad, i don't know what i would do without it... i guess that's kinda sad on my part eh?

eukreign

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »

Oh yea i know that, which is really to bad, i don't know what i would do without it... i guess that's kinda sad on my part eh?

I haven't used dialup in 6 years so it will be a shock for me but it's worth it. I'm going to try to get satellite internet though.

eukreign

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 07:41:04 PM »

Note: when two or more people are going to be online on this thing, your internet experience is not going to be very pleasant. But you probably already realised that.

We used to have a Netgear RM356

Reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z8PW/103-3337732-4071041?v=glance&n=172282

Release info:
http://www.netgear.com/pressroom/press_releasesdetail.php?id=27

eBay has them very cheap. I took out the rest of the crap that was coming up on the eBay search so the DSL shat is excluded on that link.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=netgear+modem+router+-dsl+-adsl+-cable+-wireless

Hmm... after looking at the price I think it would be easier and cheaper to just setup my workstation as a gateway, it already has a modem and two NICs.

fisher

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »

Hmm... after looking at the price I think it would be easier and cheaper to just setup my workstation as a gateway, it already has a modem and two NICs.

That is what I do, and what I used to do back in the day. But I usually only need to connect with one system at a time, because it is painful. Sometimes I use the modem on my laptop, but if I want a wireless internet connection while taking a shit, I need the gateway system on.

eukreign

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 10:11:53 PM »

That is what I do, and what I used to do back in the day. But I usually only need to connect with one system at a time, because it is painful. Sometimes I use the modem on my laptop, but if I want a wireless internet connection while taking a shit, I need the gateway system on.

You read my mind!

AngelReign

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »

The first step to attach a modem to a router is to install the hardware. The main concerns are which cables to use and why or why not to use... If you have multiple computers around the home or office and want to network them together to share an ADSL Internet connection then this guide is for you. by: IP PBX

NHArticleTen

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »

dial-up=fail

just checking email via dial-up is enough to cause one to drink heavily...

argh

antijingoist

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:32:17 PM »

I like email through dailup... :)

Only good router for dialup that I know of is the original airport extreme. You get a wireless g router with a usb port and built in modem. There is also the original airport with wireless b and modem. if you get the extreme, make sure it has the modem; some later models did not.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 07:35:41 PM »

The first step to attach a modem to a router is to install the hardware. The main concerns are which cables to use and why or why not to use... If you have multiple computers around the home or office and want to network them together to share an ADSL Internet connection then this guide is for you. by: IP PBX

... why did you bump a three-year old thread?
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

rabidfurby

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »

... why did you bump a three-year old thread?

Spambot. A fairly smart one, but still a spammer.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »

Satellite.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Modem Router

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.