Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  mobile site
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mobile site  (Read 2121 times)

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
mobile site
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »

Why can't I access page 2 on any topics or pages on the mobile site? The 'next page' link simply acts as a refresh button. I'm on a Blackberry Tour.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: mobile site
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »

Why can't I access page 2 on any topics or pages on the mobile site? The 'next page' link simply acts as a refresh button. I'm on a Blackberry Tour.

Blackberry's are weird like that sometimes. I had one for 4 yrs before going to Android 4 months ago. Something to do with the way RIM phones render webpages to save processing power. I'm not sure exactly, but I always had a weird web experience with mine.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »

Wiki's Blackberry Tour article says the browser supports HTML, and doesn't specify anything further.  I would suspect the mobile site uses something more sophisticated, in some way.  

I really don't know anything about code, other than theres some PHP/SMF stuff going on here, which I believe is an overlay built upon HTML, to make it extra fancy.  So, we can use HTML to write the image tags, and so forth, but when it comes to the dynamic buttons for navigation, there may be some code involved in the design of the buttons that your phone is unable to read or interact with.  

Thats just completely winging it, and I'm sure to be half-wrong, at the bare minimum.  But you deserve an answer, so until a better geek pipes up with actual knowledge, that'll have to serve as a basic answer.  

What I can say is, theres probably no fix forthcoming.  Like, I doubt theres any simple check-box one of the guys can enable to resolve your incompatibility.  Although, Blackberry may solve it, if they release a push.  But I also doubt the likelihood of that, because they're working on newer phone and tablet technology, with hotter processors and all that jazz.  (again, conversational speculation)

Anyway, hope that helps.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:57:59 PM »

Wiki's Blackberry Tour article says the browser supports HTML, and doesn't specify anything further.  I would suspect the mobile site uses something more sophisticated, in some way.  

I really don't know anything about code, other than theres some PHP/SMF stuff going on here, which I believe is an overlay built upon HTML, to make it extra fancy.  So, we can use HTML to write the image tags, and so forth, but when it comes to the dynamic buttons for navigation, there may be some code involved in the design of the buttons that your phone is unable to read or interact with.  

Thats just completely winging it, and I'm sure to be half-wrong, at the bare minimum.  But you deserve an answer, so until a better geek pipes up with actual knowledge, that'll have to serve as a basic answer.  

What I can say is, theres probably no fix forthcoming.  Like, I doubt theres any simple check-box one of the guys can enable to resolve your incompatibility.  Although, Blackberry may solve it, if they release a push.  But I also doubt the likelihood of that, because they're working on newer phone and tablet technology, with hotter processors and all that jazz.  (again, conversational speculation)

Anyway, hope that helps.

I figured it was some coding mixup, but the strange this is that all of the other buttons work. I can go to the last page of a thread and then work my way back page by page, but that sucks for the longer threads. I just figured someone at HHQ would be interested.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »

I donno.  It is interesting.  The first page is a hyperlink, so I can see how that would display easily.  The last, might not be much different, as in, code ref "last" or whatever.

But when you do pages 2,3,4, etc, it might aggregate the data differently, batching the posts in an order that is numerically assembled by post number, and not page number. 

*still talking out my ass here*

I donno.  I do know reading the BBS on a phone sucks ass.  I do it occasionally, if I'm stuck somewhere and bored silly. 

Any problems on Facebook?

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »

I donno.  It is interesting.  The first page is a hyperlink, so I can see how that would display easily.  The last, might not be much different, as in, code ref "last" or whatever.

But when you do pages 2,3,4, etc, it might aggregate the data differently, batching the posts in an order that is numerically assembled by post number, and not page number. 

*still talking out my ass here*

I donno.  I do know reading the BBS on a phone sucks ass.  I do it occasionally, if I'm stuck somewhere and bored silly. 

Any problems on Facebook?

no? the facebook app works just fine...The myspace one is killing me, though. It keeps giving me notifications when there's nothing there. Just another reason I don't use MySpace.  Also, going back one page works well, but going forward doesn't. Finally, the mobile site isn't too bad for shorter threads and I often check it when I'm at places like the inlaws, drill, or ...work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  mobile site

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.