Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Microsoft

Poll

How do you feel about Microsoft?

It's my bread and butter - I own stock and have all the certifications!!!
- 0 (0%)
I use Microsoft software and I *love* it!
- 4 (22.2%)
I use it and I like it.
- 4 (22.2%)
I use it and I feel neutral.
- 3 (16.7%)
I use it because I have to, but I wish I didn't.
- 5 (27.8%)
I use it, but I'm thinking of faking my own death to escape it.
- 0 (0%)
I don't use it - it just isn't for me, and those who use it are OK people.
- 0 (0%)
I don't use it - and those who use it are retarded monkey abortions.
- 1 (5.6%)
All Microsoft users should be put in concentration camps where a big Start button clicks them on the head every 30 seconds.
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft  (Read 22870 times)

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
Re: Microsoft
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2011, 06:21:54 AM »

Fine, enjoy playing with tmux - I won't.

I agree about BSD being "less polished" and "a weird little sect" compared to Linux, but there is an absolutely crucial difference - Linux is not free software, while FreeBSD is closer, and OpenBSD is getting pretty close...  It's like the American Revolution - sure, the colonies were less civilized than London, but it was all about freedom, and in the end London had to reform as well.

None of this applies to KDE!  They now use the same legal restrictions, and the technical differences between the two are not very significant.  And it has even less coherence than a pure Gnome desktop because of all the apps for which there are no KDE equivalents.  But the only GUI app you really need is the browser.

Pointless reminder: this used to be a Microsoft thread...  With Interix + X, Windows makes a darn good UNIX workstation also...  but without any nvidia or flash crashes, and a lot more apps to choose from...   :lol:

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »

KDE is good for reasons that don't apply to your needs. That doesn't make it less good for others. It being weird does not make it inferior. There aren't any apps that I need that don't have KDE equivalents except for apps that don't usually have GTK versions either. I don't need anything very weird...a browser, a multimessenger, an IRC client, a mail client, skype, a music player, and a terminal are the most common applications I use. KOffice isn't amazing but it's good enough for what little I do that I can't use a browser WYSIWYG editor for and Krita's interface was much much better than GIMP's last I used it.

Also, I've never had problems using nVidia's binary driver for FreeBSD.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2011, 08:42:46 PM »

Microsoft To Open Source Windows...  as GPL!

That does it, I'm switching back to Linux, which was just BSD'ed!

:lol:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:59:29 AM by /sbin/libmand »

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 08:22:29 AM »

I just came across an open source project that hits the communist quadfecta: it's GPL, it's Lispy, it's written at a "public" university, and it wastes lots of resources for a foolish goal.   Also, IT'S NAMED AFTER JOSEPH STALIN!  Though, to be fair, there also was a Microsoft Stalin project back in the 1990s, but eventually they changed the name to Bob.  :lol:

Positive Microsoft Headline RoundUp:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Microsoft

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.