Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Microsoft

Poll

How do you feel about Microsoft?

It's my bread and butter - I own stock and have all the certifications!!!
- 0 (0%)
I use Microsoft software and I *love* it!
- 4 (22.2%)
I use it and I like it.
- 4 (22.2%)
I use it and I feel neutral.
- 3 (16.7%)
I use it because I have to, but I wish I didn't.
- 5 (27.8%)
I use it, but I'm thinking of faking my own death to escape it.
- 0 (0%)
I don't use it - it just isn't for me, and those who use it are OK people.
- 0 (0%)
I don't use it - and those who use it are retarded monkey abortions.
- 1 (5.6%)
All Microsoft users should be put in concentration camps where a big Start button clicks them on the head every 30 seconds.
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft  (Read 22782 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: Microsoft
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »

How about I merge it with all your other threads?

Cobble up some script to untangle that, fuckface. 

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »

Thats not very nice Drifter.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »

Back on topic...

I like Microsoft because it came on my computer I bought at Walmart when they rolled back prices.

It's great.  I buy a new one every year when it breaks down.

Its good for the economy.  Like when you break windows and shit...I mean stuff. (de-shitifying poopifying)

I also like xbox.  I can shoot things on it.  Bam-Bam, you're dead.

Amazing Richard

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 12:25:51 AM »

Finally there are some Linux distributions which more than satisfy my simply computing needs.  
So Gates can kiss my ass for now.  If I do win the lottery or some other source of funding becomes available my preference would be to get an Apple.

I am very grateful for Linux as it has saved my laptop from the junk heap.   Just as age of xp ends for this laptop a new age of Linux begins.

You might even want to consider buying a used Mac. I purchased my used mac (eMac) for $200, about a couple years ago, and this machine is still going good. Last PC I bought was a Dell, and although I bought it second hand, it was actually never used, and that piece of crap gave me trouble from day 1, and then died in about a year and a half.

I'll prolly end up buying another used Mac. However, when I look at the prices, even the god damn used laptop Macs are expensive! Maybe I'll have to stay old school and get me a used desktop Mac. Anything to stay away from Bill Gates' evil Windows is better. Just the thought of using Bill Gates' Windows as my main computing device makes me squirm.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 12:42:07 AM »

Thats not very nice Drifter.

Ms Blankenship, does anarchir have an appointment? 

No.

Then please tell him I've left for the day.     

Okay.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »

Back on topic...

I also like xbox.  I can shoot things on it.  Bam-Bam, you're dead.

You can shoot more things on the PS3. I was talking to a professional expert and he said that you can shoot about 99 times more stuff on it than you can on a xbox. Plus Japan needs all the help they can get right now.

So buy a PS3
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:45:10 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54:02 AM »

Whats the matter with Japan?

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 12:55:19 AM »

Whats the matter with Japan?

Nothing, cept they're stoopid.......... they built a nooklear plant right next to an earthquake. DUH
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:59:12 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Amazing Richard

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 01:54:06 AM »

Be sure to check out my "Do You Play Video Games???" thread in the polling pit.

xBox is related, so therefore, this post is NOT SPAM.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »

I use, and like, Microsoft products. Oh, I'm sure Apple is SO much better. But, it also costs SO much more.

It's like someone saying, "You know, instead of a Toyota you should drive a Lexus. It's much better." Perhaps. But, I can actually afford a Toyota.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »

(Note that I haven't deleted any spam posts from here (yet), some people must have deleted their own.)

Latest positive news on Microsoft:

• IE9 Offers AMD Hardware Acceleration - I think IE9's performance accomplishments are just the beginning.  Microsoft can cooperate with hardware manufacturers like no other company can, taking hardware acceleration to new heights.

[...]  for fuck's sake it's 2011 and they still don't have multiple workspaces?!  [...]

That simply isn't true.  If you Google "multiple workspaces windows" (w/o quotes) and spend an hour looking into this, you'll find multiple different solutions you can try.  I think there was a third party shell that did this for Windows 3.1!

You need to remember that Microsoft isn't in the business of including every possible feature for free.  About 95% of people don't need multiple desktops, and that feature will only confuse them.  I'm not an idiot, but I remember I was using Gnome once, and I used a wrong key combo, and it took me a whole minute to figure out where my window went (I removed the switcher from the panel, but forgot to set it to 1 desktop first).  Can you imagine how many grandmas would call tech support with issues like that?!  Microsoft wants to be the easy-to-use OS for the masses.

Furthermore, Microsoft is in the business of giving its partners a chance to make money - in part because it's good for Microsoft, and in part because the government bullies them to.  Every time it bundles new functionality into Windows, a dozen small shareware companies are itching for a lawsuit...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:53:14 PM by /sbin/libmand »

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »

(Note that I haven't deleted any spam posts from here (yet), some people must have deleted their own.)

Latest positive news on Microsoft:

• IE9 Offers AMD Hardware Acceleration - I think IE9's performance accomplishments are just the beginning.  Microsoft can cooperate with hardware manufacturers like no other company can, taking hardware acceleration to new heights.

[...]  for fuck's sake it's 2011 and they still don't have multiple workspaces?!  [...]

That simply isn't true.  If you Google "multiple workspaces windows" (w/o quotes) and spend an hour looking into this, you'll find multiple different solutions you can try.  I think there was a third party shell that did this for Windows 3.1!

You need to remember that Microsoft isn't in the business of including every possible feature for free.  About 95% of people don't need multiple desktops, and that feature will only confuse them.  I'm not an idiot, but I remember I was using Gnome once, and I used a wrong key combo, and it took me a whole minute to figure out where my window went (I removed the switcher from the panel, but forgot to set it to 1 desktop first).  Can you imagine how many grandmas would call tech support with issues like that?!  Microsoft wants to be the easy-to-use OS for the masses.

Furthermore, Microsoft is in the business of giving its partners a chance to make money - in part because it's good for Microsoft, and in part because the government bullies them to.  Every time it bundles new functionality into Windows, a dozen small shareware companies are itching for a lawsuit...

Hmmmmm, about cloud computing. Libman you would know more about this than me.

Would a person be able to decrypt something in 128-bit encryption very quickly with the almost infinite resources of a cloud?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »

(1)  Please don't over-quote.  It wastes space and causes confusion if I edit something.

(2)  I used the term "infinitely-scalable" in a poetic human-scale sense, not the objective mathematical one - and it's a separate argument whether concepts like "infinity" are ever really applicable in the real world.  :twisted:

(3)  Yes, as basic math will tell you, the amount of time and/or computing resources needed to crack a 128-bit key by brute force is (by our present-day standards) astronomical - billions of top-notch CPU's for billions of years.  Unfortunately future technology can make what's astronomically complex today child's play in the future, and some entities may have access to future tech breakthroughs sooner than others.  The commercial cloud computers would be very expensive for that sort of thing - but if NSA really does have its own underground semiconductor manufacturing and secret atomic-powered supercomputer mega-labs, all bets are off.

(4)  Cracking estimates will depend not just on the size of the key, but the encryption algorithms used, whether there are any shortcuts to using brute force, and the computational complexity of recognizing a success case (i.e. how certain are you that you have a decrypted file and not gibberish).  There's always an unknown risk factor that the governments, which recruit many of the world's top mathematicians, know a shortcut to cracking a particular algorithm but are keeping it secret.

(5)  If you can recognize the success case then you can crack anything - it's just a matter of time and money.  Today it might not be worth-while to spend the CPU power to decrypt something, but after many years of exponential growth in (post)quantum computing - who knows.  (And don't even get me started on them stellar-scale computing.)  So don't trust any kind of encryption for things you don't want your great-grandkids to know about.   :lol:

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:04 AM »

I've tried them all. They ALL suck. They are either severely limited in number of desktops available (I use 9 to 16 depending on the machine), integrate poorly with the taskbar (e.g. if I click on the Chrome button it will launch a new Chrome window rather than taking me back to my already-open with 32 tabs instance), have absolutely shitty controls (some require using a small window or a tray icon for switching) or more than one of these. The most basic X11 WM provides more elegant multi-workspace solutions than the most advanced grafted-on Windows application. The ones included with Compiz, Kwin, Metacity, and OS X are done in a way that actually has the ability to improve your workflow rather than impede it.

Absolute shit. The least Microsoft could do is provide some way for such applications to be written that can more intelligently switch desktops based on open windows, even a half-assed reference implementation for demonstration purposes only would be better than the obnoxious workarounds that all virtual-desktop applications for Windows need to employ to even come close to imitating a feature that's been around for decades.

Amazing Richard

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 01:59:34 AM »

I use, and like, Microsoft products. Oh, I'm sure Apple is SO much better. But, it also costs SO much more.

It's like someone saying, "You know, instead of a Toyota you should drive a Lexus. It's much better." Perhaps. But, I can actually afford a Toyota.

Like I said....you may want to consider purchasing a used Lexus, instead of a new Toyota. But, I think It is wrong for you to compare a PC to a new Toyota, cuz them cars are pretty reliable. Maybe it's more accurate to compare a new PC to a new Ford.

My used mac has outperformed a my dead Dell (that I bought new). I'm wondering how long this used mac is gonna last, and I'm thinking that I should get a new computer soon. But, you know what, I have a feeling that this used mac is gonna last a lot longer than I expect it to.

Maybe a mac is worth the money.

As an average computer user, and if you take the price difference away, and just deal with quality, I really cannot think of any reason why I would choose a PC over a Mac. Having worked with both PCs and Macs over the years, I have no doubt that Apple makes a much better product (in general), and you might save yerself some money in the long run by going with a Mac, instead of a PC.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Microsoft

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 37 queries.