Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Major computer problem
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Major computer problem  (Read 4125 times)

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
Major computer problem
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »

I can only go online in safe mode-not regular mode with my piece of shit Dell desktop.  Just to note I have Microsoft Vista.  I have tried everything under the sun including trying different anti-malware and anti-viruses in safe mode and regular mode after several system restores, googled the question to find a response, and tried to look for any root cause on my computer but I guess the idiots at Dell expect all of their customers to have Masters degrees and multiple computer certifications under their belt before they buy one of their pieces of shit computers.  Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,

Mark

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Major computer problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »

open inernet explorer

click tools

then internet options

go to connections tab

click the LAN settings button at the bottom

uncheck the "use a proxy server for your LAN" box

hit ok

done
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »

I went to that and it was already unchecked. 

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »

maybe a corrupt winsock

open command line prompt

type  - netsh winsock reset

other than that, yer fucked .......... it could be anything

almost sounds like some kind of virus since it doesnt happen in safe mode. services are loading in normal mode preventing access. all i can say is go through task manager and randomly shut down services and try each time, narrowing it down.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:21:05 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:31:50 PM »

It could be a hundred different things.  You could try using something like CCleaner or (better yet) Autoruns to disable various startup components / drivers / services / hooks / etc to see what's causing the problem, but there's no guarantee.

Windows is easy to use, but difficult to use right.  You have to know how NOT to end up with a cluttered out-of-control pile of conflicting crud.  Keep things simple, be careful what you install (and where you download it), uninstall what you don't need, clean your registry, etc.  Even then, sometimes you need to rebuild the whole system from scratch - and, while you're at it, upgrading to Windows 7 might speed things up.  (I never had any problems pirating it.)

This might also be a good time to try a more libertarian operating system, like PC-BSD [WP] (stable version, not beta).  Just stay away from Loonix - or the commies win!  :roll:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:37:33 PM by Alex Libman »

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:18 PM »

As others have said, it could be anything.  I'd recommend finding someone who knows their way around computers and having them look at it if you can't get it fixed.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »

Open a command prompt (start, type "CMD" hit enter)

type "ping 127.0.0.1". If this works, your TCP/IP stack is probably okay.
type "ipconfig" and check for an IP address (called ipv4 address probably). Check the value of "default gateway".
type "ping", then space, then the IP address of the default gateway. If this works, your computer is fine at a hardware level.
type "ping 8.8.8.8". If this works, your router and computer are working.
type "ping google.com". If this does not work, you have a DNS issue. Try setting you DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and retry pinging google.com.

Let me know what the results are.

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:15:18 AM »

Okay 127.0.0.1 was not recognized as in internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Default Gateway on ipconfig: 71.228.8.1

8.8.8.8 was not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »

you could reformat your computer use Ctrl + F11 at start up move your important stuff to a external or something if nothing else works.

if you think your virus detector is corrupt u can make a live disc for anti virus and boot off of it
http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-rescue-cd-9

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 01:57:26 AM »

Okay 127.0.0.1 was not recognized as in internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Default Gateway on ipconfig: 71.228.8.1

8.8.8.8 was not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

No, you type in "ping 127.0.0.1". Then you hit enter. See if it gets replies.
Then "ping 71.228.8.1". Then you hit enter. See if it gets replies.
Then "ping 8.8.8.8". Then you hit enter. See if it gets replies.
Then "ping google.com". Then you hit enter. See if it gets replies.

If you just put in an IP address, it won't recognize it, you need to tell it to ping something, you cannot just give it an address.

Also I'd like to comment on how nobody else here seems to have any idea how to troubleshoot network issues, or at least is not showing it if they do.

By the way, I'm Dell tech support for servers.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:13:18 AM by Zhwazi »

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »

Well thanks everyone for the suggestions and I'll see what I can do on that last one Zhwazi.  I'm still in safe mode and tried to install Kaspersky but it told me to go to its removal tool before I did this because their were core problems so Im doing that.  Its at about 11% now and Ive scanned too much shit over this weekend to continue staring at the screen for hours so Im off to bed.  Ill find out what Kaspersky found out when I get up.  

Regardless what happens Michael Dell will be receiving a 6-7 page letter explaining why his company and supply chain suck and possible recommendations for improvement.  

blackie

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »

Wired or wireless?

What was the last change you made before you noticed this issue? Things like installing software or hardware, or a config change.

I'be never used Vista, bit have you looked in the system/event log for clues?

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:31:15 PM »

Well thanks everyone for the suggestions and I'll see what I can do on that last one Zhwazi.  I'm still in safe mode and tried to install Kaspersky but it told me to go to its removal tool before I did this because their were core problems so Im doing that.  Its at about 11% now and Ive scanned too much shit over this weekend to continue staring at the screen for hours so Im off to bed.  Ill find out what Kaspersky found out when I get up. 

Regardless what happens Michael Dell will be receiving a 6-7 page letter explaining why his company and supply chain suck and possible recommendations for improvement.   
It's probably not a hardware issue. You'd be more correct in writing Steve Ballmer. Honestly neither one is going to care. You don't even know what the cause of the problem is yet, or who is to blame.

Doing virus scans won't help if you don't have a virus. Vista is pretty secure, it's not invincible but you probably don't need to continue doing virus scans, and installing multiple antiviruses at the same time can cause its own problems, bluescreens, crashes, hangs, etc.

If you have other signs of a virus than the internet connection issue, then there may be some merit to doing so. If not, look into other things.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Major computer problem

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.