Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Loud sounds and annoyances.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Loud sounds and annoyances.  (Read 3479 times)

Mixand

• View Profile
Loud sounds and annoyances.
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »

Do you consider somebody repeatedly saying the same word over and over again, or playing loud music constantly 24/7 on their property to be considered coercion/force againsts a person or a persons property? It could drive away there business and disrupt/annoy the person.

Do you think it would be still considered victimless since no real physical assault as taken place?

Curious.

(unrelated)
Took this with my webcam  :)
Government: Organized crime with a flag.

BonerJoe

Re: Loud sounds and annoyances.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:18:09 AM »

Yes.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:41 AM »

We have these Armenian neighbors.  They have some sort of Toyota vehicle.  When you lock and unlock the vehicle it beeps twice.  Their car is constantly beeping.  We see them walking their wiener dog, and just swinging the keys...beeping the car.  I'm pretty sure it's an initiation of force on my ears.  You can't concentrate on anything with incessant fucking beeping. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 02:36:50 AM »

I hate the sound of birds chirping.  It goes right through me.  I live in a heavily wooded area.  I can hardly think sometimes it gets so loud.  Are the birds initiating force on me?

You can't control others.

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:14:19 AM »

Only if it's causing some kind of physical harm. Otherwise it's just like they paint their house a bad color, which can also be very annoying. It sounds like they are just bothering you, which is not aggression.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 06:42:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure I could 'bother you' by poking you in the chest without doing you physical harm.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 07:22:46 AM »

People are annoying. You can talk to them about it and that's about it. One should explain that they woke the baby or whatever, most of the time people don't want to annoy their neighbors they try and be neighborly if they are politely asked for reasonable compliance. If they don't, they are assholes who will escalate the situation to something that can be defended against.(this is a sweet little fact that makes the NAP work in any situation)
 I have a tendency to dislike self righteous busybodies that bitch about everything more then people having their stereo up to high. And self righteous assholes are never happy with the compliance they get anyway. Statism gives the busybody the upper hand every time.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »

Only if it's causing some kind of physical harm. Otherwise it's just like they paint their house a bad color, which can also be very annoying. It sounds like they are just bothering you, which is not aggression.

I believe that keeping people awake for sustained periods by playing loud music is considered torture.  You grossly underestimate the amount of damage that "bothering" someone can do.  Sights outside of one's house can be avoided; sounds cannot-- not completely, even if you wore earplugs 24 hours a day which no one should have to do. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »

In a free society, who would retaliate against you if you shot and killed a neighbor that played the Oompa Loompa songs from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory at 110db at your property line at all odd hours?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

It detracts from the value of your property. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 06:15:23 PM »

People are annoying. You can talk to them about it and that's about it. One should explain that they woke the baby or whatever, most of the time people don't want to annoy their neighbors they try and be neighborly if they are politely asked for reasonable compliance. If they don't, they are assholes who will escalate the situation to something that can be defended against.(this is a sweet little fact that makes the NAP work in any situation)
 I have a tendency to dislike self righteous busybodies that bitch about everything more then people having their stereo up to high. And self righteous assholes are never happy with the compliance they get anyway. Statism gives the busybody the upper hand every time.
Pretty much this.

If you don't want to ever hear people playing music in your neighborhood, you should have moved to an HOA with loud noise restrictions.  If you're anything but polite to them about it, then you're probably an asshole busy body.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 06:32:55 PM »

If I could have a minor super power, volume control would be a pretty awesome one.  Suddenly, people who drive down the street with their bass at levels that rattle people's windows would wonder why on earth their stereo won't go as loud as they want it to, no matter how hard they crank it.  They might even push the dial so hard they break the thing. 

The people who used to live across from me who would get home from work at 3am and decided that would be a great time to decompress accompanied by 5,000 decibels of death metal?*  Suddenly it wouldn't go above easy listening levels. 

My current rhythmically-disabled neighbor who has been practicing the same song on his electric bass, badly, at the same times of day every day for the past three weeks, and has now bought himself a drum set?  I'm not sure about that one-- Carpal Tunnel, maybe.   Actually, it's not so bad....he doesn't play for hours and hours, usually, and if I put on music I can drown him out for the most part. 

* Yes, I asked them nicely not to do that.  They accused me of "not respecting their schedule."

Bill Brasky

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 09:29:40 PM »

If I could have a minor super power...

You could, baby.  *wink*

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »

In a free society, who would retaliate against you if you shot and killed a neighbor that played the Oompa Loompa songs from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory at 110db at your property line at all odd hours?

Their family would.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

BonerJoe

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »

Their family would.

*blam*

Problem solved.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Loud sounds and annoyances.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 33 queries.