Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147302 times)

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2010, 07:39:46 AM »

They could have the balls to innovate? Maybe like add new shit that people may or may not want? You know the market process? I'm not against closed source, but I'm against lazy bums that don't pay for what they use. Like welfare queens with six thousand babies hanging off their coochie flaps and shit. Or so-called war vets getting housing assistance when the worse thing that happened to them in war time was catching syphilis from a pre-teen whore while on duty.

Anyways, it's still shitting, I don't care what the letter of law says as I care about its spirit more so.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2010, 08:00:02 AM »

Innovation is nice.  Low prices are nice.  Doubling programmer salaries is also nice.  But Microsoft isn't a charity, it's a for-profit corporation.  Its goals are to maximize profits (within the confines of the law, of course, unless it can influence the law legally, which is also legal).  The benefits to consumers, employees, etc come as the result of competition.  And at the time there was no market pressure to invest into inventing, implementing, testing, documenting, deploying, etc a better TCP/IP stack.  When there was, they did.

And at least the welfare queens are reproducing, heroically keeping America's fertility rate hanging on the edge of a cliff at just above 2.05...  :roll:

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:01 AM »

I suggest you listen to the latest episode of EconTalk where the whole idea that you need more workers (thus more babies) to keep productivity up. Guess what? We're more productive today in this recession than we have been in all previous recessions. Gee I wonder why... *cough* processes don't need more workers once started *coughs*
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #393 on: February 24, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »

That's stupid.  More brains => more economic value.  Always.  It doesn't just mean more workers but also more property owners, more consumers, greater economy of scale, more variety, more subjects for statistical analysis (which is very important for medical discoveries), greater probability of more super-geniuses that create unique ideas, etc.

And people need to learn to think in terms of expected growth.  People see 3% growth and they think "yaay", but what they don't see is that it could have been 6% if not for some major stupidity getting in the way, and that difference could be a matter of life and death for some people - literally.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:55:09 AM by Alex Libman »

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »

That's stupid.  More brains => more economic value. Always.
Um no. Value comes from individual subjectivity. It's intensity is ordinal, not cardinal. *smacks you with a Scholar's Edition of Human Action*
Much like Boolean values or enum scales are ordinal in use, thus cannot be computed by mere summation or other arithmic operators.

It doesn't just mean more workers but also more property owners, more consumers, greater economy of scale, more variety, more subjects for statistical analysis (which is very important for medical discoveries), greater probability of more super-geniuses that create unique ideas, etc.
You're confusing economic value for economy of scale, please get that straightened out.

And people need to learn to think in terms of expected growth.  People see 3% growth and they think "yaay", but what they don't see is that it could have been 6% if not for some major stupidity getting in the way, and that difference could be a matter of life and death for some people - literally.
Expected grow doesn't do much for the actual process of optimization and/or operation of a firm. These two concerns pre-exist as a given for any firm, it doesn't necessarily need inputs from total population of the Earth. A bigger market in terms of more customers is just nice, but growth can be had other ways (hint: read the previous two sentences as to where to find it.).

The fact you can't grasp the basics of economics makes me wonder how the fuck you can even code. Software architecture and development follow from the same basic principles of praxeology (more so than not). I suggest boning on it so you can do better for yourself than spew more illiterate nonsense.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #395 on: February 24, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »

That explains a lot about you...

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Linux Works
« Reply #396 on: February 24, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »

That's stupid.  More brains => more economic value. Always.
Um no. Value comes from individual subjectivity. It's intensity is ordinal, not cardinal. *smacks you with a Scholar's Edition of Human Action*

If I may point out how both of you are right, more brains => greater potential economic value.

Great essay on the differences that arise from two different ways of looking at human nature, the "constrained" vs. "unconstrained" vision of humanity:

http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-we-got-here-is-failure-to.html
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:56 AM »

That explains a lot about you...

Like what? For me, I'm just a nerd for emergent order, then again Life is emergent order so I could say that I'm the child of such. If that's a problem with you then you can pray to Plato for the Ideal Realm of perfect forms and some such. Here in the real world, we deal with emergent order as it's the only real order. *shrugs*

It doesn't mean there won't be people having babies, families, and the like, but it does mean that all assumptions that emergent order is something exclusive to them is idiotic. Stop trying to fit everything into a single form of action as there is no such thing. There is only water and song, things that can take any form, but have no form for themselves. They come, they go, they merge, and divide. Is it hard for you to imagine this? Doesn't Nature's own menagerie hint at it for you? If not, I can't help you.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #398 on: February 24, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »

Um, this is a Microsoft thread.  I have a number of other threads for debunking extinctionist propaganda elsewhere.

Alex Libman

« Reply #399 on: July 06, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »

So I went through another one of my "Ayn Rand wants me to use proprietary software because all FLOSS is tainted by commie moocher ideology and methods" phases last month - and luckily such mentality does not also include Ayn Rand's opinion on intellectual property laws.  ;)

I've done and pirated myself up a new Microsoft setup, and things seem to have improved a bit since the last time I've tried it.

Visual Studio 2010 / .NET 4 are even awesomer than when they were in beta!  (Though abandoning my beloved Ultimate++ would have been tough.)  Robotics Developer Studio is the awesomest thing evah!  SQL Server 2008 R2 is very good too, and I took more time to play around with a fully loaded version of it.  Office 2010 didn't seem to change much since beta, and it's not really something I'd use every day so I didn't spend much time on it.  Zune also seems to have improved quite a bit, and it's almost good enough to be the only audio / video player you need.

Graphics and video are immediately better / faster than I was ever able to get them in Gentoo Linux after much tweaking - this seems to be the case on other distros / hardware as well [2].  All browsers also benchmark a bit better on Windows than in Linux (and don't even get me started on *BSD) - and I can't wait for IE9!

Installing all this software is still a pain (unless you have a prior partition image of course), but every time I try it I find some little way of making it easier (ex. Utilu Mozilla Firefox Collection). Interix still sucks, but you can only blame the FLOSS community for not supporting it.

During this "I'm gonna marry Microsoft" phase I've considered what it would take to make Windows a better overall experience than Linux (ex. Ubuntu), and I've put together an idea for a freeware package I'd call...  Pirate Utilities!

It would include:

• pirate-get and other command line utilities (similar to Debian's apt-get or even more so BSD's pkg_*) for creating, installing, and uninstalling individual binary software packages as easily and almost as quickly as on modern UNIX-like operating systems, without any EULA screens or other interactive portions to worry about.  Instead of ye olde MSI's or other setup methods, it would use specially-created self-installing .ppi.exe (Pirate Package Installer executable) files.  Microsoft still uses a CD-oriented distribution mentality, where one product CD contains dozens, in some cases hundreds of components that can be installed or uninstalled individually, as they are in Linux.  This set of tools would automatically download requested packages (which would also be split by language and 32 vs 64-bit) and all their dependencies from P2P, then run a virus / security scan and install them once downloaded.  There are some registry locking and other tricks that can make installing Windows packages a lot faster than it currently is.  An existing BT tracker like The Pirate Bay (or list of many trackers, or eDonkey, etc) can be used to share packages, but only packages verified as safely cracked and virus / nag / spyware free would be added to the main index.  There could potentially be like ~20,000 packages "stolen" from Microsoft alone, and probably over ~500,000 if you were to package all existing third party freeware (for easier nag-free installation and update tracking), games, commercial software, console games and old DOS software to be played via emulation, Interix packages, etc, etc, etc - compared to the Debian record of ~40,000 packages!

• Pirate Commander - a GUI for the above command line utilities / services, similar to Synaptic (or USC / etc, which I like a lot less), to simplify installing / uninstalling / seeding packages.  It would feature download time estimates, system requirements evaluation, "pirate karma" (based on seeding ratio, contributed new packages, metadata / comments contribution, and penalties for uploading bad / infected packages), wizards for helping n00bs figure out complex dependencies (ex. choosing / configuring an emulator to play specific PlayStation games), and an embedded IRC client where people can chat about different software package categories and get support.  A component of this can run as a service and notify you of available updates or new packages fitting certain criteria, so you could use it instead of Windows Update, Symantec LiveUpdate, etc.  A gag feature would calculate the total cost of all the software you are pirating, and tell you how much stock in those companies you'd have to own for the past X years to break even.   :lol:

• Pirate Organizer - a multi-tab set of small utilities to help reorganize the bullshit defaults Windows initially leads you into.  For example, it could automatically reorganize your Start Menu programs by category, like in GNOME / KDE, or restore them to the original condition, or add missing shortcuts for existing programs, or set some programs to be automatically excluded from the menu both now and in the future, etc.  It could recommend which crappy / redundant programs can be removed or replaced with better ones.  It could recommend installing certain utilities that make Windows a lot more bearable (integrated with the aforementioned package management components of course).  It could scan your system and recommend which services can be disabled to make it faster.  It could help you migrate all non-essential crap from your system partition and advise you on shrinking the system partition as small as possible so you could use partition-based backup / restore.  Etc, etc, etc.  The various components of this could also features names that reference the classic Norton Utilities, except for us pirates - ARRRRR!

• Pirate Terminal - finally a decent native full-featured multi-tab terminal program for Windows comparable to GNOME Terminal or Konsole but with many added features like HTML command output rendering.  It would use a shell that glues together all features of ye olde Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, Interix (through some bash / python features and an ssh client should probably be built-in), and some additional features as well, with tab / auto-completion for everything imaginable.  One of those features would be automatic executable indexing, so you no longer have to worry about including a dozen of directories under "Program Files" in your PATH.  It can also feature a "command not found" helper that can install the missing software by just saying (Y)es.

Alas, it was not to be...  I've decided not to marry myself to Microsoft...  Some other pirate / cracker / WaReZ group will have to implement those ideas, because I sure as hell won't, at least not for free...

Goodbye, Microsoft...  I love you...  Goodbye...   :?

:lol:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:27:52 PM by Alex Libman »

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 08, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »

This reminds me, I got into a manic state and installed Linux, fucked around with partitions, then went back to XP and I realized that I must have accidentally deleted a few hundred hours worth of recorded TV along the line.

Feels bad man. :sadface:
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Alex Libman

« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2010, 02:32:33 AM »

In theory you no longer need to modify your partitions to try new operating systems - just use emulation, a loopmounted disk image, (in compatible cases) a chrooted environment / jail / container, etc, etc, etc.

The problem with my "life-altering" "final" "decisions" about which "software philosophy" I'm "marrying" is that I wanted to "scrape myself clean" of the "former way of doing things", which even involved throwing away all related CD/DVD media (good thing I've donated all my books before leaving NJ).  The number of times I've re-downloaded / re-burned certain ISO images is simply comedic!  :lol:

I never lose my actual work though, at least not recently - I'm fanatical about backups (and so are most of my clients, who usually host the source code repositories).  I've lost plenty of my early creative writing in my teens, but mostly because I didn't really care all that much about saving it.  Things you can get from BitTorrent (ex. TV shows) aren't worth burning anymore (unless it's something rare), because nowadays you can download it faster than the time it takes to flip through a DVD folder.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:34:53 AM by Alex Libman »

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 08, 2010, 03:42:24 AM »

I should have emulated Ubuntu then :(

The TV shows I recorded I recorded because I couldn't find them anywhere to download and plus I'm on a very shitty wifi connection that is supposedly connected from 5 miles away. So yeah.

SADFACE

DOT

GIF

(should have backed it up on DVDs!)
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Alex Libman

« Reply #403 on: July 08, 2010, 05:42:59 AM »

Ubuntu is for commies.  Real Unix is the way to go, and Unix's not GNU.  I've been looking at ways to reduce the copyleftiness of my Unix stack, like compiling with Clang (still doesn't work for many things though).  The need for things like FFMPEG will definitely not go away any time soon...  :cry:

Or you can stick it to the commies by simply staying with Microsoft, and you'll never have to edit a .conf or a Makefile to get anything to work, ever!  (Except possibly hosts.)

Alex Libman

« Reply #404 on: July 11, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »

From the "Best Unix OS / BSD / Linux distro" thread:

[Post Subject Edited to "Windows is your Friend!!"]

What is wrong with Windows? I mean, it's not like Bill's dad was a CIA operative who arranged to have Windows be adopted by Government agencies, thereby making it the standard for worldwide use, or that it has intentional "backdoors" built into it to ensure that everything you do can be secretly monitored or that Black Ops can be funded by stealing from thousands of different accounts because they have all online bank passwords. Maybe Bill gets a bad Rap- it's not like he uses his ill gotten wealth to institute Eugenics programs in Africa, which are experiments for use on us or anything....

I know.  But I get Ayn Rand flashbacks sometimes...  :lol:

You can make up all the conspiracy theories you want, and they might be true, but the factual evidence that I can see is that the government has always been biased against Microsoft, and it was the private sector choices that resulted it in its current market share.  Sure, Microsoft depends on IP laws, but so do all of its competitors, and, as pointed out above, it was the least Washington-lobbying company out there until it paid the price through DOJ bullying as the result.

FLOSS is just too featha-teathn' for my tastes.  Voluntary communism is still communism - an inferior economic model that produces inferior results and leaves everyone dependent.

I understand how hyper-competition in the free market would quickly drive basic software costs to 0, but there will always be room for innovation and hardware / service bundling through which companies can make a profit.  FLOSS puritanism, which doesn't only apply to copyleft, wants to put an end to that and encourages people to only use free software, even if it sucks and the total cost of ownership is much higher.  A policy of paying a little bit more in software licensing could mean higher software quality, greater productivity, and better career potential for all (except Linux's #1 fan Hugo Chavez perhaps).

FLOSS is inseparable from government force, not just in its culture (most GNU zealots also want "net neutrality", etc), but in its basic economic model as well.  A huge fraction of it is written by government-supported students and organizations.  When you download Windows software you are downloading from a voluntary entity, when you download FLOSS software the bandwidth most likely comes from the tax victims in one way or another.  Government control over the Internet is the GNU commies' ultimate goal...  :x

Perhaps the best solution is a pragmatic mixture of UNIX software, both permissively licensed FLOSS and proprietary, that can run on all UNIX(like) operating systems / environments: Microsoft Interix, MacOS X, AIX, *BSD, MINIX, HP-UX, Tru64, SCO UnixWare / OpenServer, etc, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:22:52 PM by Alex Libman »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.