Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147400 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »

An experienced user restricting himself to Ubuntu is a silly thing to do.

My favourite Linux distro a while back has been Gentoo, but it no longer has the momentum it once had.  Debian and Ubuntu seem to be the way to go in terms of pre-compiled performance, and I also wanted to pick the most popular one.  If you count all the forks, Ubuntu's is definitely growing into the dominant distro in the desktop Linux world.

Picking a fight on someone else's turf sounds like a good reason for banning to me.

That whole distro brands itself around a particular philosophy, and they do have plenty of political discussions there - the mods only get involved when the touchy-feely "GNU/Linux will liberate the world from evil corporations" mentality is ever brought to serious scrutiny.  I have defeated their arguments, and forced them to show their true colours by resorting to public censorship.

You really aught to stop blaming others for your choices.

I never do that.  I rant about other people's stupidity, especially when it involves encouraging government force and then calling it "freedom"!  :x

[Microsoft] might very well be what works for YOU  [...]  it doesn't work for everyone.

No, Microsoft doesn't work for me either (unless they've thrown an extra R&D billion at Interix since the last time I checked), but it does provide the best desktop experience for a non-technical user who actually wants to get shit done.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:26:59 PM by Alex Libman »

ElGuapo

• View Profile
Re: Linux is just fine.
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2009, 01:50:40 PM »

Firefox had 44% of the discovered vulnerabilities, Safari had 35%, Internet Explorer 15%, and Opera had 6%.

Ah, "discovered" vulnerabilities.

It would be interesting if the "discovered" problems within Internet Explorer that are discovered internally were added, not just the ones publicly reported. One of the negatives of "open" development is that problems are easily seen.

To pick on your statement; if a "vulnerability" has not been "discovered" then it is not a vulnerability because nobody discovered it and the likelihood of exploitation remains at precisely 0.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »

Debian and Ubuntu seem to be the way to go in terms of pre-compiled performance, and I also wanted to pick the most popular one.

That's why I run Debian. Or something like that, anyway.

The reason I don't run Ubuntu is two-fold. 1, they depend upon a snapshot of Debian Unstable, which as its name implies is NOT STABLE. 2, it's absolutely loaded with people who have no idea what they're doing, and have software confused with politics, exactly as you experienced.

If you count all the forks, Ubuntu's is definitely growing into the dominant distro in the desktop Linux world.

I don't back the US Government because it's dominant, either.

I rant about other people's stupidity, especially when it involves encouraging government force and then calling it "freedom"!  :x

In their forums, where they are well within their rights to banish you.

And they did.

No, Microsoft doesn't work for me either (unless they've thrown an extra R&D billion at Interix since the last time I checked),

I'll give them credit where credit is due, the install of 7 is much simpler and less visually "noisy" and preachy than prior versions. Still doesn't recognize much hardware, but that's to be expected.

but it does provide the best desktop experience for a non-technical user who actually wants to get shit done.

No it doesn't. The applications are what are or are not going to "get shit done" with a non-technical user, the OS is irrelevant. For getting the OS out of the way so the applications can run Windows _sucks_.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 15, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »

"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2010, 03:39:03 AM »

A few choice quotes from an Ubuntu Forums thread about Cuba's Nova Linux:

Go Communism!  Things change a bit faster with such a government, for the better.

"The free software movement is closer to the ideology of the Cuban people, above all for the independence and sovereignty."

Cuba is the most free nation in the world, they give their citizens health care free of charge and they let everyone go to universities without having to pay money. Before the revolution most Cuban people wouldn't even be able to tell you what a university is! In Cuba the people get payed well and Fidel Castro is payed in the same manner as everyone else, unlike the Bush family of millionaires

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2010, 03:52:03 AM »

So, not counting the previous post, I've neglected this thread for a few months while I was trying to spark up a libertarian BSD-over-GPL free software (sub)movement that I can live with.  That showed no promise of any light at the end of the tunnel...  :cry:

I'm now back to the question that plagued the hell out of me for the past year (ever since I got the first Windows 7 alpha and opened my mind to Microsoft just a little bit) - which path shall I marry my career to.  The LAMP stack is definitely the path of least resistance at this point, but I'm not sure I can live with myself after the ideological rift that was exposed between that world and myself...

I'd like to to emphasize just the first few paragraphs from this 3-year-old Washington Post article -- Learning From Microsoft's Error, Google Builds a Lobbying Engine --

When it comes to lobbying, Google does not intend to repeat the mistake that its rival Microsoft made a decade ago.

Microsoft was so disdainful of the federal government back then that it had almost no presence in Washington.  Largely because of that neglect, the company was blindsided by a government antitrust lawsuit that cost it dearly.

Mindful of that history, Google is rapidly building a substantial presence in Washington and using that firepower against Microsoft, among others.

[...]

The Feds struck the first blow!

Microsoft didn't jump in bed with the government, it was raped first!!!

Does that legitimize some of Microsoft's government butt-kissing?  I think it does.  Heck, even Hank Rearden had his Washington men to cover his butt from government aggression (at least before a serious Gulching opportunity presented itself)...

If I could climb down from my Anarcho-Capitalist ivory tower at least to the Objectivist / Randroid level, which would suit me quite well, then I can certainly live with Microsoft.

What do y'all think?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:24:32 AM by Alex Libman »

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2010, 08:08:19 AM »

It's not a good idea to pretend the state doesn't exist, or to ignore it entirely; they may not return the favor. The ivory tower has a nice view, until the government bombs it.

So I have no problem with taking action to protect yourself from the state. I do have a problem with using the state to protect yourself from competitors.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »

Bureaucratic self-defense aside, Microsoft's biggest flaw is their reliance on intellectual property law - probably more so than any other major software company, because it would be easier to build a business model around products like Oracle's based on contracts alone.  Objectivists and most other capitalist libertarians wouldn't have a problem with this, only radical AnCaps like me...

But, excluding the aforementioned, how else is Microsoft benefiting from government force more than any other large corporation?  I don't get what you mean by "using the state to protect yourself from competitors"...  Microsoft fought an uphill battle against the patents of other corporations until they got to the top, which they mostly did by their own merits (in their consumers' minds, of course, not necessarily yours or mine).  I saw the so-called Halloween Documents, but I don't see anything in them that would constitute additional initiation of force.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:44:37 PM by Alex Libman »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2010, 09:25:16 PM »

What freeware should I use to open Windows 7 iso directly from my hd instead of burning it on a disc? 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #384 on: February 23, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »

Previously on this thread I've recommended Virtual CloneDrive (FreeWare), but I think just about any virtual drive program will work.  I believe you can even just extract the ISO (via WinZIP, WinRAR, 7zip, etc) and run "setup.exe".

Bill Brasky

« Reply #385 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »

Cool.

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »

AAARGH, take the tech support somewhere else!

As for Microsoft, apparently they thought what's good for cooking their goose is good for them to cook everyone else's gander. Or did you forget what they tried to do with claiming patents on Linux? Most everyone called bullshit. Then there was the MS-Novell deal which pretty much made SuSE "Microsoft Linux" and represented the beginning of MS's attempt to "embrace, extend and extinguish." Fortunately it didn't really work, but MS still came out ahead with the free money they extorted from various companies by "licensing" "their" "intellectual property" "rights" in Linux.

As for me, I won't ever buy SuSE or Novell products. (Or MS, but that was a given...)

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:35 AM »

As noted above, Microsoft is not the first software company to use government force in their favor, and it wouldn't have done much good for them to be a hero and refuse to play the patent game - they'd be eaten alive by patent trolls and less benevolent corporation(s) would fill their market share pretty darn fast.

And, once again, I'm calling hypocrisy - you put "intellectual property" in scare quotes (as do I), but you sneer at my "BSD over GPL" arguments, and you still use CC-NC on your (otherwise wonderful) site.  You can't have your cake and eat it too...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:08:19 AM by Alex Libman »

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2010, 07:21:52 AM »

I'm still laughing at the fact that MS still has to raid BSD code to fix its shit (e.g. network stack).
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:59 AM »

That was a long time ago.  And the word "raid" implies some sort of aggression, which isn't the case as the BSD license deliberately allows proprietary reuse.  Most people contributing BSD code understand that they help lift all ships - for the greater good of the whole marketplace, as well as its consumers / users.  Why would you expect Microsoft (or Apple, or Google, or anyone else) to reinvent the wheel when a sufficient solution is already available to them?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.