Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147342 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »

So it actually did the Windows Update?  Seriously?

Sure, and I've installed the 2010 previews for Visual Studio / Office / Project / SharePoint / Visio.  Some of the best minds in the world love to get cracking on the latest DRM schemes, and they usually have it smashed to pieces by morning after it's released.  Microsoft didn't even bother trying anything particularly fancy this time.  I've pirated every Microsoft OS since DOS 5.00.  ;)

The only people who get nailed are those who download stuff from untrustworthy sources.  On a BitTorrent site, know who the uploader, his long-term reputation, and let a few (thousand) people try it before you, and read their comments.

I'm a veteran to bit torrent buddy.

There is some skepticism to this cracked version though it seems.  People seem to believe that this version will update one day and no longer work.  I tend to believe them.  I'm just finishing up the install on VMware, as I don't feel like rebooting to try it out.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm not doing anything missing-critical on it either.  I'll let you know if/when it breaks.  ;)

It'd also be a great learning experience to rebuild the engine in your car. But most people just want to drive the car. The could care less what is under the hood.

Well, we're talking about people who've chosen it as a career path here.  Rebuilding the engine is a must if you're engineering the next generation Corvette.  Rebuilding the kernel is a must if you're engineering an embedded solution that must handle more hits per second than the competition...

blackie

« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »

Yeah, I'm not doing anything missing-critical on it either.  I'll let you know if/when it breaks.  ;)

It'd also be a great learning experience to rebuild the engine in your car. But most people just want to drive the car. The could care less what is under the hood.

Well, we're talking about people who've chosen it as a career path here.  Rebuilding the engine is a must if you're engineering the next generation Corvette.  Rebuilding the kernel is a must if you're engineering an embedded solution that must handle more hits per second than the competition...

I'm talking about most people.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:13 PM »

If you want your machine to be faster  [...]

Good points, but it can be a great learning experience as well.  I'm still a C programmer at heart, and I've learned a lot about optimization from messing with Gentoo Portage and then LFS.  Compiling with pentium4m, -O3, and other optimizations always gets me a 5-15% boost right off the bat, getting rid of the libs I don't need goes further, and then there's prelinking, etc.  Of course most Linux users don't do that, while most BSD users do.

I'm all for learning things.  Its just that some of these guys think because their experience is personally rewarding, it makes my own enjoyment pale, even laughable.  I don't get that part.  I don't really care about the guts.  The stimulation I seek comes from the up-front part of the web.  I gots my tunes, my vids, my webz, my emails, a whole pile of little handy-dandy gizmos and an infinite pile out there in the ethereal to keep me stoked that I haven't even begun to fuck with.  

I see generally good comments coming out about 7, I'm looking fwd to trying it.  But to me its a novelty, and I can almost guarantee I'll like it.  For me, it would be impossible for 7 to be a hateful pile of suck.  

rabidfurby

« Reply #289 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26:14 AM »

If you want your machine to be faster, you could always pour your valuable time and resources into learning to configure some hackazoid bullshit OS for a few extra nanoseconds of performance.  Its like a rechargeable battery, except you recharge it with your own time and energy.  You pour several hundred hours into it, and reclaim a nanosecond here and a nanosecond there. Perhaps in four thousand years, you will be on the plus side of the umpteen hundred hours.  Or you could simply not really give a fuck, and operate something that is adequate 99% of the time - and be pretty happy when something better is packaged in cellophane, which you already know the basics of its operation.

It's a pattern a lot of hobbyist-type activities seem to follow. Some people spend thousands of dollars on an espresso machine so their morning cup of coffee can be just perfect; others drink the caffeinated horse piss from Dunkin' Donuts. Some buy classic cars and rebuild the engine; others just take their Honda to Jiffy Lube every couple months. Some cook five-course meals with wine pairings for each course; others microwave a Hungry-Man dinner and crack open a Bud.

And, some people build their computers from scratch and/or install their own, customizable OSes; others buy whatever at Best Buy is the shiniest.

In every case, the snobs/connoisseurs/hobbyists/whatever don't understand how everyone else can put up with such mediocre crap when there's clearly such a better alternative.

Meanwhile, the average joes don't understand why the snobs make such a fuss about everything. They're happy with what they've got, and don't understand why people waste so much time with the other stuff, when it's pretty much all the same anyway.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #290 on: October 23, 2009, 02:10:04 AM »

Hm.  You excluded my admiration part.   Well played. 

I am duty bound as a member of the Louts to challenge you to a duel.  Razor blades or poison gas grenades.  Your choice.  We shall meet on the field of honor at dawn.  Inform your next of kin. 

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 23, 2009, 03:04:23 AM »

Good points, but it can be a great learning experience as well.  I'm still a C programmer at heart, and I've learned a lot about optimization from messing with Gentoo Portage and then LFS.  Compiling with pentium4m, -O3, and other optimizations always gets me a 5-15% boost right off the bat, getting rid of the libs I don't need goes further, and then there's prelinking, etc.  Of course most Linux users don't do that, while most BSD users do.

I'm all for learning things.  Its just that some of these guys think because their experience is personally rewarding, it makes my own enjoyment pale, even laughable.  I don't get that part.  I don't really care about the guts.  The stimulation I seek comes from the up-front part of the web.  I gots my tunes, my vids, my webz, my emails, a whole pile of little handy-dandy gizmos and an infinite pile out there in the ethereal to keep me stoked that I haven't even begun to fuck with.  

I see generally good comments coming out about 7, I'm looking fwd to trying it.  But to me its a novelty, and I can almost guarantee I'll like it.  For me, it would be impossible for 7 to be a hateful pile of suck.  

I'm happy with it.  I've been running it in VMware for a few hours now alongside my vista install.  It's good.  Just like Vista with a slightly different skin.  Nothing special though, I'm not going to fork out the 100 bucks to purchase a copy.  Not for a while anyways.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Linux works just fine.
« Reply #292 on: October 23, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »

What can Linux do that OS X can't do?

Install on hardware that isn't from Apple, and so costs a fraction of the price.

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to master the particulars of an open-source OS, to be able to considerably outperform an off-the-shelf system?

No "mastery" at all. The core UNIX-style system is inherently more efficient, so it "outperforms" what I must assume you mean to be a store-bought Windows system on the same hardware.

The gist of what I think your question really is, which I have to assume, seems to be "how hard is it to make an alternative (again, assuming Linux since that is common in the thread) work better than Windows for me?"

I can't tell you because I'm not you. I can't say what factors are going to "outperform" one way or the other in your subjective opinion.

What A.L. can't stand is that I'm not telling everyone to use Linux, I'm countering his misinformation. He, rather, is telling everyone just how bad everything but Windows is for everyone.

If Windows is what works best for you, then by all means use it. I suggest not to avoid trying other things, since at the worst doing so will make you appreciate what works for you even more.

In every case, the snobs/connoisseurs/hobbyists/whatever don't understand how everyone else can put up with such mediocre crap when there's clearly such a better alternative.

Beautifully said.

Meanwhile, the average joes don't understand why the snobs make such a fuss about everything.

That's why there are different models of cars, too. And home-builts, kit-cars, etc.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2009, 12:59:54 AM »

That Windows 7 is still working great.  No nags or surprises of any kind.

There's a Slashdot story called "When Libertarians Attack Free Software", but I'm too sleepy right now to even quote it here.

My beef isn't with "free software", it's with fanatical devotion to clearly inferior technologies just because they're "free", and the violence inherent in copyleft licensing.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »

I'm happy with it.  I've been running it in VMware for a few hours now alongside my vista install.  It's good.  Just like Vista with a slightly different skin.  Nothing special though, I'm not going to fork out the 100 bucks to purchase a copy.  Not for a while anyways.

Do you think it would perform better if it was operating by itself? 

Bill Brasky

Re: Linux works just fine.
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2009, 03:06:13 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to master the particulars of an open-source OS, to be able to considerably outperform an off-the-shelf system?

No "mastery" at all. The core UNIX-style system is inherently more efficient, so it "outperforms" what I must assume you mean to be a store-bought Windows system on the same hardware.

The gist of what I think your question really is, which I have to assume, seems to be "how hard is it to make an alternative (again, assuming Linux since that is common in the thread) work better than Windows for me?"

I can't tell you because I'm not you. I can't say what factors are going to "outperform" one way or the other in your subjective opinion.

What A.L. can't stand is that I'm not telling everyone to use Linux, I'm countering his misinformation. He, rather, is telling everyone just how bad everything but Windows is for everyone.

If Windows is what works best for you, then by all means use it. I suggest not to avoid trying other things, since at the worst doing so will make you appreciate what works for you even more.

What I mean is, all the little tweaks that must be performed when you have conflicts.  That seems to be the thing I see the most:  "I had to blabedy-blah the such-n-such to get it to recognize [whatever]" 

I plug in my camera, it reads the card.  I plug in my printer, it says Hello Printer!  I haven't installed a driver in a long time.  Everything reads, everything works.  I used to get very frustrated with Win98, before everything was plug-n-play.  I download a program, click [accept] the terms, and away we go. 

This may seem lazy, but I don't even have to read the stuff carefully on the box if I buy hardware or software.  I buy what I need, what I like best.  I don't have to wonder if it'll work, or fuck with it to get it working.  Even if I went beyond what I'm comfortable with, like buying a new hard drive or video card, I'm fairly sure I could just buy a good one and pop the fucker in.  (I'd read some forums first, of course, in case there was some tricky trick)

I understand and respect the fact there is a hobbyist aspect to geeking, like Furb so eloquently stated.  Thats cool.  My hobbies lie elsewhere.  For many of us, the machine has become the hub of a general entertainment lifestyle.  I turn it on, it makes me happy.  Taking it apart or fiddling with the code does not make me happy. 

Now, get ready for a laugh.  In my little universe, I'm the resident geek.  Parents, kids, friends, I'm the one they come to when their stuff is fucked up.  I can usually get it goin', and if it wasn't for M$, I'd never be able to help them if everyone was running a different OS.  It'd be a huge pain in the balls.  They used to pull that shit at work, custom device bullshit which they'd have to configure, conflicts out the ass.  Probly why I'm so resistant to stuff like that.  I like simplicity, having been trapped and tortured out of workplace necessity, having to stick with it, and put up with crap.  Calling out techs at 2am to fix their own mistakes.  Fucking around in little dossy dialogue boxes with improperly trained support fucks over the phone who had no clue what they were actually doing.  That shit is torture. 

Microsoft is a godsend, as far as I'm concerned.  If it wasn't for them, there'd be another widely utilized "industry standard" OS, I'm sure.  And I'd use that. 

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »

Do you think it would perform better if it was operating by itself? 
Yes.  Then I could give it all 6 gigs of my RAM instead of just 2.5.  And all 4 cores of my cpu instead of just 2.  But VMWare isn't horrible at distributing resources.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »

There is some skepticism to this cracked version though it seems.  People seem to believe that this version will update one day and no longer work.  I tend to believe them.  [...]

Do you have a reasonably coherent source for this?  My installs are still 100% perfect, updates and all.

Oh heck, even Linus gives Windows 7 a big thumbs up:

:lol:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:31:53 PM by Alex Libman »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »

There is some skepticism to this cracked version though it seems.  People seem to believe that this version will update one day and no longer work.  I tend to believe them.  [...]

Do you have a reasonably coherent source for this?  My installs are still 100% perfect, updates and all.

Oh heck, even Linus gives Windows 7 a big thumbs up:

:lol:

No, just "word on the street".  I think the issue is that it updates.  MS will put an update that will undo the crack at some point, forcing you to activate it.  That's the word at least.

It's running perfectly fine in VMware for me, but I'm still afraid to do a full install and set all of my stuff up all over again for it if I'm just going to end up having to buy it before I am ready.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #299 on: October 24, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »

I keep OS + Programs on a separate partition from the rest of the data, and I backup that partition daily.  If it gets un-cracked, I'll restore it, immediately disable updates, and wait for an updated crack to appear on BitTorrent - or ask some of my friends, they might have that crack a day before BT sites get it right.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.