Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147327 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »

From Slashdot -- Windows 7 On Multicore - How Much Faster? --

InfoWorld's Andrew Binstock tests whether Windows 7's threading advances fulfil the promise of improved performance and energy reduction.  He runs Windows XP Professional, Vista Ultimate, and Windows 7 Ultimate against Viewperf and Cinebench benchmarks using a Dell Precision T3500 workstation, the price-performance winner of an earlier roundup of Nehalem-based workstations.

"What might be surprising is that Windows 7's multithreading changes did not deliver more of a performance punch", Binstock writes of the benchmarks, adding that the principal changes to Windows 7 multithreading consist of increased processor affinity, "a wholly new mechanism that gets rid of the global locking concept and pushes the management of lock access down to the locked resources", permitting Windows 7 to scale up to 256 processors without performance penalty, but delivering little performance gains for systems with only a few processors.  "Windows 7 performs several tricks to keep threads running on the same execution pipelines so that the underlying Nehalem processor can turn off transistors on lesser-used or inactive pipelines", Binstock writes.  "The primary benefit of this feature is reduced energy consumption", with Windows 7 requiring 17 percent less power to run than Windows XP or Vista.

Notice how the Marxist GNU crusaders are trying to spin a positive story into a negative one, but they're not fooling anyone except themselves.  As one commenter put it:

It's not surprising because the OS really can't do that much to improve (or mess up) the performance of user-mode code that isn't making many OS calls anyways.

What is surprising is that power consumption could be so significantly reduced.  This story could have come out with an entirely different spin if the headline were simply, "Windows 7 Reduces Power Consumption by 17%."

The word is that Microsoft is reacting to the first-world recession by focusing on optimisation, and a 17% power reduction is a huge accomplishment.  The blow-you-away GIGApixel-twirling innovations will have to wait for Windows 8.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:17:18 PM by Alex Libman »

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »

From Slashdot --

Bleh.

The word is that Microsoft is reacting to the first-world recession by focusing on optimisation

About bloody time.

After 15 years of continually loading on un-removable bloat and useless eye-candy, some "optimization" would be a welcome change. I'm not holding my breath.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

All that "useless eye-candy" has always been possible to disable if you knew what you're doing, but those visual effects are now an industry standard for most desktop operating systems.  Microsoft makes an OS for the broad market, not just people who couldn't afford a new computer for the past five years.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »

All that "useless eye-candy" has always been possible to disable if you knew what you're doing

Big "if". Of course, people in the Microsoft Astroturf program have access to that sort of information.

but those visual effects are now an industry standard for most desktop operating systems.

Luckily, in all but two of the "desktop" OSs that I know of, such eye-candy is not merely optional, but of a variety and quality that blows those two "broad market desktops" away. If, of course, that's what you want to spend your CPU cycles on.

Because, in all but two of the "desktop" OSs that I know of, the graphical user interface is just another application. Not part of the core OS at all. That provides a realm of variety, stability and security that Microsoft users cannot even imagine, as they reboot because Internet Explorer has gone unstable again.

Microsoft built its eye-candy into the OS directly, wasting my time disabling what they turn on by default, and making it impossible to optimize my system as anything other than a "broad market desktop".

I am not a "broad market". My system is not a "broad market desktop", neither is yours. Defaults are sometimes a good place to start, what sucks is getting stuck with someone else's defaults.

My preference is choice. I like very much having the choice of what style of "desktop" to use today. Full featured with eye-candy, clean and square (yes, in fact I do like my applications to have square corners), minimalistic without even desktop icons or polling of removable storage. Can't do all that on a "broad market desktop".

Microsoft makes an OS for the broad market, not just people who couldn't afford a new computer for the past five years.

Microsoft deliberately makes an OS that requires near state-of-the-art hardware just to run their eye-candy. If that's what you want to spend your money on, you are more than welcome. 3-D effects work just fine on my ca. 2003 laptop, just not Microsoft's versions of those effects.

It has nothing to do with "couldn't afford", and I find your insulting people who don't have as much money as you do rather typical of what I've read of your opinions.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »

Due to recent BT site outages there's some confusion over which torrent is the actual retail version.  I took a leap of faith on the most popular one -- Windows 7 Ultimate AIO Activated -- and it worked perfectly.  The dates in the setup are older, but it is build 7600 with no expiration.  I guess I could have upgraded from RC sooner, but, like most people, I wanted to wait and see if it was really the final retail build.

I was also able to upgrade all my Windows boxes (one 7 RC and two XP) without a DVD/USB.  No activation nags so far, and if I ever get any there's a crack out already.  Oh, and the release version feels even faster than the RC!  :D

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:36:49 PM by Alex Libman »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »

Due to recent BT site outages there's some confusion over which torrent is the actual retail version.  I took a leap of faith on the most popular one -- Windows 7 Ultimate AIO Activated -- and it worked perfectly.  The dates in the setup are older, but it is build 7600 with no expiration.  I guess I could have upgraded from RC sooner, but, like most people, I wanted to wait and see if it was really the final retail build.

I was also able to upgrade all my Windows boxes (one 7 RC and two XP) without a DVD/USB.  No activation nags so far, and if I ever get any there's a crack out already.  Oh, and the release version feels even faster than the RC!  :D

Please update if you end up getting activation nags.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »

It never asked me for activation or serial, and Windows Genuine Advantage worked w/o any problems.  I tried several anti-virus / anti-spyware progs - they didn't find anything wrong.  I'll keep this thread updated if any problems come up.

It recognized most of my hardware right off the bat, and the rest of it after just one Windows Update reboot.  All software I regularly install (much of which is from Microsoft, some free and some pirated) installed & fully updated without any complaints.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »

It never asked me for activation or serial, and Windows Genuine Advantage worked w/o any problems.  I tried several anti-virus / anti-spyware progs - they didn't find anything wrong.  I'll keep this thread updated if any problems come up.

It recognized most of my hardware right off the bat, and the rest of it after just one Windows Update reboot.  All software I regularly install (much of which is from Microsoft, some free and some pirated) installed & fully updated without any complaints.

So it actually did the Windows Update?  Seriously?

Sounds good.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »

If you want your machine to be faster, you could always pour your valuable time and resources into learning to configure some hackazoid bullshit OS for a few extra nanoseconds of performance.  Its like a rechargeable battery, except you recharge it with your own time and energy.  You pour several hundred hours into it, and reclaim a nanosecond here and a nanosecond there. Perhaps in four thousand years, you will be on the plus side of the umpteen hundred hours.  Or you could simply not really give a fuck, and operate something that is adequate 99% of the time - and be pretty happy when something better is packaged in cellophane, which you already know the basics of its operation. 

I think I'll opt for the latter, and entertain myself by reading the faux-elitist mind-droppings of the people who are avid believers in the former. 

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to master the particulars of an open-source OS, to be able to considerably outperform an off-the-shelf system?  Five to ten years, I expect.  Is all that brain crunching really worth being able to open one more window, or the extra micro-second that your program will be up and running while mine grinds to life?  Because I'm not really ripping my hair out while the hour-glass spins twice, after clicking on something.  That half-second doesn't amount to shit, after the two hour movie starts to roll, I don't watch it in double-speed.  Nor would I condense my several hours of browsing time into fifteen minutes of efficient speed-webbing.  I'll be here several hours, no matter what I'm running.  I'm just thrilled as a motherfucker that I have a pretty decent device that's not running on dial-up. 

As technology advances for all of us, I'm sure a few years out things will be slicker than gooseshit on ice.  Just like they are now, compared to the clunky piece of garbage you were running in Y2K.  Its amazing how in nine short years, they packed a machine fifty times faster into a box 1/10th the size, and I didn't have to read a dozen laborious manuals to reap the rewards.  Just trot my fat ass out to Best Buy and get a new machine every once in a while, when the old one is obsolete. 

Thats not to say I don't appreciate the deep-geeks who blaze into the frontier of the cutting edge.  The true advancements are largely due to the guys and girls who speak those obscure languages.  And I'm genuinely thankful for their efforts.  But just like we who browse and jerk around on Windoze who make no effect on the brilliant future of technology, the same can be said for the others who flail away at home on strange exotic OS's, who never contribute one damn thing to the universe.  It doesn't matter what you're driving if the car never leaves the yard.  Speaking and dreaming in foreign languages is a great accomplishment, but it doesn't have any bragging rights unto itself.  Its just your personal method. 

blackie

« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2009, 08:56:10 PM »

There are good places for Linux stuff, but it isn't the desktop.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »

So it actually did the Windows Update?  Seriously?

Sure, and I've installed the 2010 previews for Visual Studio / Office / Project / SharePoint / Visio.  Some of the best minds in the world love to get cracking on the latest DRM schemes, and they usually have it smashed to pieces by morning after it's released.  Microsoft didn't even bother trying anything particularly fancy this time.  I've pirated every Microsoft OS since DOS 5.00.  ;)

The only people who get nailed are those who download stuff from untrustworthy sources.  On a BitTorrent site, know who the uploader, his long-term reputation, and let a few (thousand) people try it before you, and read their comments.

There are good places for Linux stuff, but it isn't the desktop.

Linux is never the best choice for anything...

• Best all-around desktop - Windows 7.

• Best way to do some light UNIX scripting - Cygwin or Interix.

• Best O.S. for stupid 9-year-old girls - Mac.

• Best server platform - FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or NetBSD.

• Easiest to install UNIX desktop - PC-BSD.

• Best Java platform - Solaris.

Yes, linux 2.6 did pass FreeBSD in some benchmarks a few years ago, but only because it was getting like 100x more attention from the GPL crybabies and the corporations that try to appease them...

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:36:23 PM by Alex Libman »

BonerJoe

« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2009, 09:28:52 PM »

What can Linux do that OS X can't do?

blackie

« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »

I've got a bunch of Ethernet and Fibre Channel switches that run Linux. I've never had a problem with them.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

If you want your machine to be faster  [...]

Good points, but it can be a great learning experience as well.  I'm still a C programmer at heart, and I've learned a lot about optimization from messing with Gentoo Portage and then LFS.  Compiling with pentium4m, -O3, and other optimizations always gets me a 5-15% boost right off the bat, getting rid of the libs I don't need goes further, and then there's prelinking, etc.  Of course most Linux users don't do that, while most BSD users do.

What can Linux do that OS X can't do?

Make smoke come out of your desktop when you modprobe the wrong video card driver...  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:48:12 PM by Alex Libman »

blackie

« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »

If you want your machine to be faster  [...]

Good points, but it can be a great learning experience as well.
It'd also be a great learning experience to rebuild the engine in your car. But most people just want to drive the car. They could care less what is under the hood.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:26:13 PM by blackie »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.