Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 148277 times)

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2009, 04:55:19 AM »

KDE is available in a third-party repository, and is quite heavily still in the process of porting, so it's not 100% stable and functional yet, but it is usable for me. Only major components I'm missing is an IRC client and an MSN/WLM client, pretty much everything else is there.

What was yer preferred IRC client?
I myself perfer console clients - bitchx and irssi (current client)
but I know that mirc will run under wine as im sure most M$ Platform clients will

I have never liked windows irc clients and I hate to say it, the worst are on GNU/OS at least since I last looked at them

With a small amount of effort irssi will also allow most if not all IM protocols to be used

Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #256 on: October 08, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »

Pidgin, irssi, Chatzilla, Trillian, etc.

From Slashdot -- Microsoft Leaks Details of 128-bit Windows 8 --

Microsoft is planning to make Windows 8 a 128-bit operating system, according to details leaked from the software giant's Research department. The discovery came to light after Microsoft Research employee Robert Morgan carelessly left details of his work on the social-networking site LinkedIn.

His page read: "Working in high-security department for research and development involving strategic planning for medium and long-term projects. Research & Development projects including 128-bit architecture compatibility with the Windows 8 kernel and Windows 9 project plan. Forming relationships with major partners: Intel, AMD, HP and IBM." It has since been removed.

It's about time someone started thinking about 128-bit mainstream computing!  Why wait for those slow-poke hardware manufacturers to release 64-bit drivers - in fact, why not just jump straight into 256 bits?!  I mean, given the hyperinflation we're about to have, I'm not even sure UINT_MAX of 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 will be enough a decade from now!  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:09:00 PM by Alex Libman »

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #257 on: October 09, 2009, 01:54:15 AM »

KDE is available in a third-party repository, and is quite heavily still in the process of porting, so it's not 100% stable and functional yet, but it is usable for me. Only major components I'm missing is an IRC client and an MSN/WLM client, pretty much everything else is there.

What was yer preferred IRC client?
I myself perfer console clients - bitchx and irssi (current client)
but I know that mirc will run under wine as im sure most M$ Platform clients will

I have never liked windows irc clients and I hate to say it, the worst are on GNU/OS at least since I last looked at them

With a small amount of effort irssi will also allow most if not all IM protocols to be used
I've tried Irssi and generally liked it, but I mostly use Xchat. Lately it's been freezing on me (it only happens in the one configuration of user list and room list that I like, major PITA) so I've been using Pidgin's IRC functionality. My favorite overall is Quassel.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2009, 07:28:49 AM »

Pidgin, irssi, Chatzilla, Trillian, etc.

From Slashdot -- Microsoft Leaks Details of 128-bit Windows 8 --

Microsoft is planning to make Windows 8 a 128-bit operating system, according to details leaked from the software giant's Research department. The discovery came to light after Microsoft Research employee Robert Morgan carelessly left details of his work on the social-networking site LinkedIn.

His page read: "Working in high-security department for research and development involving strategic planning for medium and long-term projects. Research & Development projects including 128-bit architecture compatibility with the Windows 8 kernel and Windows 9 project plan. Forming relationships with major partners: Intel, AMD, HP and IBM." It has since been removed.

It's about time someone started thinking about 128-bit mainstream computing!  Why wait for those slow-poke hardware manufacturers to release 64-bit drivers - in fact, why not just jump straight into 256 bits?!  I mean, given the hyperinflation we're about to have, I'm not even sure UINT_MAX of 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 will be enough a decade from now!  :lol:

I hate myself for understanding every single bit of that post

pun, as always, intended
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »

I hate myself for understanding every single bit of that post

pun, as always, intended

Ha!  I deliberately made the mistake of putting 2**128 as UINT_MAX instead of 2**128-1 (to adjust for 0), thus entrapping you into claiming to understand "every single bit", thereby proving that you don't.

And if all your puns are always intended, does that mean you were standing under a post?

:lol:

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »

Microsoft's marketing department strikes again.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2009, 09:36:32 AM »

From Slashdot -- Michael Dell Says Windows 7 Will Make You Love PCs --

In a recent talk at the Churchill Club, Michael Dell addressed several topics, including the fact that Windows 7 is poised to take advantage of the upgrade cycle.  Dell has always been a strong MS OEM ally and it is now hoping to cash in again from the impending upgrades.

From the post, "Dell made plain several times that he sees the installed base of technology as very old, and sees a coming 'refresh cycle', for which he has high hopes. 'The latest generation of chips from Intel is strong, particularly Nehalem', he said, adding, 'and Windows 7 is on its way'.  (The operating system arrives Oct. 22nd, although Microsoft's large-volume licensees are already getting it.)  He pointed out that many business are running Windows XP, which is eight years old. "I've been using Windows 7 for a long time now," he said, "and if you get the latest processor technology and Office 2010 with it, you will love your PC again.  It's a dramatic improvement'."

Dell is currently in the process of swallowing Perot Systems for $3.9 billion.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2009, 05:36:23 AM »

Windows 7 sucks less, I must admit. Though I make it no secret to my customers at work who say they want to skip Vista to get something better, Windows 7 is pretty much Vista, but boots a lot faster, runs a little faster, and has little improvements here and there. They don't seem to mind, because it's not Vista, it's 7.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2009, 05:53:46 AM »

The final version of 7 is actually even faster than the Release Candidate, and on latest hardware - ZOOOM!

Unfortunately the slowest part of the OS is the one that gets the most CPU usage for the vast majority of users - Internet Explorer.  But it's easy enough to replace...

Anyways, here's a Windows 8 concept video:

[youtube=425,350]G0r6tINInrw[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:00:40 AM by Alex Libman »

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Linux is just fine.
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2009, 08:20:55 AM »

I'll just wait for that one, then.

In the mean time, the latest Debian on 5 year old hardware, ZOOOOM!
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »

I'm busy playing the latest bleeding-edge Direct3D game.

Can you e-mail me a PowerPoint presentation about it?

:lol:

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »

The final version of 7 is actually even faster than the Release Candidate, and on latest hardware - ZOOOM!

Unfortunately the slowest part of the OS is the one that gets the most CPU usage for the vast majority of users - Internet Explorer.  But it's easy enough to replace...

[youtube=425,350]G0r6tINInrw[/youtube]
Anyone else notice the uTorrent logo on the taskbar?

Is that an official video?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »

That's like asking Tyler Durden if Flight Club is real.  ;)

[youtube=425,350]s9UKl199tsU[/youtube]

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »

What I need to know is - will there be a new driver for my Radeon 9250? I can't use aero or RD to my vista box without crashing it.  :x
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »

Ew, that is so 6 years ago.  :lol:

And have you tried Google?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 33 queries.