Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147328 times)

Alex Libman 15

Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2009, 10:19:06 PM »

A Linux LiveCD is indeed a very useful tool, but there are some things that it can't do to save a corrupt Windows partition that a proprietary tool can.  Sure, the latter costs money, but...  arrr....  ;)

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2009, 05:43:07 AM »

Just for you AL
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »

Not that is an irrefutable argument...

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »

Not that is an irrefutable argument...

I know right
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »

That abused swastika. It was funny to still see them used in Japan for maps, to show the locations of temples and shrines.

Argumentation by graphic is an old and venerable tradition amongst those who would appeal to emotions rather than intellect, right brain rather than left brain.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:51:19 PM by BobRobertson »
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »

From Slashdot -- Microsoft Tax Dodge At Issue In Washington State --

With Washington State facing a billion-dollar biennial budget deficit, the spotlight again shifts to Microsoft's software licensing office in Reno, Nevada.

"Although the majority of its software development is performed in Washington State, Microsoft records its estimated $18 billion in licensing revenue per year through a corporate office in Reno, Nevada where there is no licensing tax. Just by enforcing the state's existing tax law from 2008 onwards, we could reduce Washington's revenue shortfall by more than 70 percent. Alternately, we could pursue the entire $707 million from Microsoft's thirteen years of tax dodging and cover most of the expected deficit going forward."

We have discussed Microsoft's creative capitalism in the past.

The linux commies are out for blood...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:23:10 AM by Alex Libman »

BonerJoe

« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »

It's for the children.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2009, 11:54:24 PM »

From Slashdot -- Firefox To Replace Menus With Office Ribbon --

Mozilla has announced that its plans to bring Office 2007's Ribbon interface to Firefox, as it looks to tidy up its "dated" browser.  "Starting with Vista, and continuing with Windows 7, the menu bar is going away", notes Mozilla in its plans for revamping the Firefox user interface.  "[It will] be replaced with things like the Windows Explorer contextual strip, or the Office Ribbon, [which is] now in Paint and WordPad, too."  The change will also bring Windows' Aero Glass effects to the browser.

Firefox, indisputably the most successful open source user app in history, runs faster and looks better on Microsoft Windows.  :D

The aforementioned interface changes are slated for version 3.7 scheduled for around May-June 2010.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:01:36 AM by Alex Libman »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »

Opera > Mozilla
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

PlainShane

« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2009, 01:48:56 AM »

Opera was good back in dial-up days. Wait a hot second... That quote says that they are bringing the glass aero effect to firefox, yet it has always been there. I can wave my firefox browser around and see through the transluscent borders.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2009, 04:11:15 AM »

Opera was good back in dial-up days. Wait a hot second... That quote says that they are bringing the glass aero effect to firefox, yet it has always been there. I can wave my firefox browser around and see through the transluscent borders.
Opera is far better now.  In every way.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2009, 07:38:44 AM »

Here's my problem.  I have an Acer Power 1000 (piece of crap) that keeps shutting down for no known reason (blogs claim it's overheating, but I installed speedfan and watched the temps and that's not it) but I discovered it will run for days in safe mode without crashing.  I figured this was a good candidate for my return to Linux so I installed Ubuntu 9.x and it was working great.  Then I wanted to play a .flv file that I downloaded so I used the movie player and requested the correct plugin to run .flv files.  It went through the search and download and now my movie player is "dedicated" to playing this same video clip of a girl with a laptop (never downloaded it) and I cannot use it to stream GCN anymore.  Malware for Linux??  I thought this kind of hijacking is a windows exclusive...

Any ideas or do I just need to re-install Ubuntu?

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »

Are you sure you were watching the right temps?  (CPU and not the HD.)  I'm not saying you're stupid, but there things happen.

Also, which Linux player were you using?  Ubuntu typically makes non-kosher codecs fairly easy (sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras w32codecs mozilla-plugin-vlc etc).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:38:16 AM by Alex Libman »

BonerJoe

« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »

Here's my problem.  I have an Acer Power 1000 (piece of crap) that keeps shutting down for no known reason (blogs claim it's overheating, but I installed speedfan and watched the temps and that's not it) but I discovered it will run for days in safe mode without crashing. 

Probably bad video memory.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »

It went through the search and download and now my movie player is "dedicated" to playing this same video clip of a girl with a laptop (never downloaded it) and I cannot use it to stream GCN anymore.  Malware for Linux??  I thought this kind of hijacking is a windows exclusive...

I have to agree and wonder just what player has been "hijacked", xine?  vlc? mplayer? Aviplayer? Noatune? Dragonplayer?

If one is having trouble, does another work?

Any ideas or do I just need to re-install Ubuntu?

The Linux distribution environment is far more modular than Windows. It's very, very rarely required to "reinstall" when what you're having trouble with is an application. First I'd say see if another player is also effected, before we go getting extreme.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.