Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147385 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »

poasting love for Win98SE here

it might not be supported anymore, but it will always be the OS of my heart :3

For me it was Win95.

However, one never forgets their first, so it's no surprise that I get a tang of familiarity when using a tty console or bring up a command line BASIC interpreter.
My first was MS-DOSSHELL.  I still miss it <3.  Not really though, I'm just kidding.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »

My first was either whatever came with Apple IIes or Win 3.11 on school computers.

It sucked ass.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »

My first PC was an old, used (my family was dirt-ass poor) Packard Bell 386SX 20 MHz, with 2 MB RAM (which I upgraded to 4 MB), ~80 MB hard drive (later upgraded too), and a VGA monitor, running MS-DOS v5.00.  And my parents refused to pay for Internet access, or even Prodigy for like the first couple of years...

blackie

« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2009, 01:27:34 PM »

TRS-80, bitches.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »

My first PC was an old, used (my family was dirt-ass poor) Packard Bell 386SX 20 MHz, with 2 MB RAM (which I upgraded to 4 MB), ~80 MB hard drive (later upgraded too), and a VGA monitor, running MS-DOS v5.00.  And my parents refused to pay for Internet access, or even Prodigy for like the first couple of years...

now we have advanced to the point where you can have free internets off your neighbor

you pretty much NEED linux to crack the secured internets when you find them, though

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »

now we have advanced to the point where you can have free internets off your neighbor

you pretty much NEED linux to crack the secured internets when you find them, though
Not quite though.  wardrive.net I believe
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »

Depends on where you are.  This applies to most urban areas already, and will probably apply to most of suburbia in a few years too, but I prefer to live in the boondocks, with no neighbors in close proximity.  What's more significant in my opinion is that cellular / 4G-like service will continue to get faster, cheaper, and available in more areas, with limited free (ad-injecting) services appearing as well.

No, if you can get your wireless card working you can do it on any OS.  Except of course some wireless cards aren't fully supported by Linux, or require a lot of kernel / module tinkering... 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:47:43 PM by Alex Libman 2012 »

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »

I've never seen an easy to use program to crack WEP in Windows, every tutorial I've read says that you have to d/l a certain distro of Linux and use it to do that.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »

TRS-80, bitches.

Mod-1, 16K.

I would run a nickel across the card-bus to send the machine into caniptions, to watch the screen go crazy. I have no idea how it survived me owning it.

Lots of friends thought it was named CLOAD.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »

I've never seen an easy to use program to crack WEP in Windows, every tutorial I've read says that you have to d/l a certain distro of Linux and use it to do that.

Between Inssider [DL], WebLab [DL] + OmniPeek [BT] + Cygwin [DL] + winpcap [DL], Aircrack-NG [DL], Cain [DL], Wireshark [DL], Kismet [DL], etc - it ought to be doable.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2009, 06:13:22 PM »

Between Inssider [DL], WebLab [DL] + OmniPeek [BT] + Cygwin [DL] + winpcap [DL], Aircrack-NG [DL], Cain [DL], Wireshark [DL], Kismet [DL], etc - it ought to be doable.

Holy crap, you know your stuff Libman.

Have my babies. Or let's abduct a bunch of White American children and use them as slave labor to power a Beowulf cluster that can crack the Pentagon and shut it down for good.

BonerJoe

« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »

Have my babies. Or let's abduct a bunch of White American children and use them as slave labor to power a Beowulf cluster that can crack the Pentagon and shut it down for good.

You just gave Uwe Boll an idea for a movie.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2009, 06:16:40 PM »

You just gave Uwe Boll an idea for a movie.

It had better be as good as Bloodrayne II.

rabidfurby

« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »

The reason is that most Windows drivers don't support packet injection. Most Linux ones don't either out of the box (because it's only useful if you want to do evil shit), but the Linux drivers that are open-source can be patched much more easily.

Cracking WEP doesn't strictly require injection, but all the recent advances that reduce it to ~1 minute do. They rely on being able to broadcast malformed packets and observing the response, and using information leaked through that to narrow the keyspace that needs to be brute-forced.

Security Now episodes 11, 89, and 170 cover the technical aspects in more detail than you probably want, but they're interesting nonetheless: http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »

Holy crap, you know your stuff Libman.  [...]

Actually, I don't - WEP's too old for me.

I only crack preteens.

:lol:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.