Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147295 times)

Alex Libman 14

Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »

From Slashdot -- Microsoft To Offer Windows 7 On USB Thumb Drives? --

Microsoft is reportedly considering offering Windows 7 on USB thumb drives to allow netbook owners to upgrade their machines.  Windows has, until now, only been distributed on DVDs or via download.  However, netbooks don't have optical drives and the Windows 7 ISO weighs in at 2.3GB, which would take several hours to download on an average broadband connection and potentially do serious damage to a customer's broadband data cap.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »

Windows 7 still sucks on the UI. I prefer Gnome or XFCE; clean, simple and easy to configure.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »

The Windows Start menu still sucks, I agree, but you can make it suck a lot less with a program that re-organizes your Programs into a Gnome/KDE-like hierarchy by category (ex Internet, MultiMedia, Developer, Utilities, etc), and there are many other third party tweaks as well.  That's the only Windows UI downside I can think of, it wins in every other category.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »

The Windows Start menu still sucks, I agree, but...

Nothing is perfect for everyone. I find the "Kicker" of KDE4 to be utterly ugly and insane. However, it's easy enough to toggle back to a regular menu style with a right-click.

That's the only Windows UI downside I can think of, it wins in every other category.

Bleh! Utter disagreement. And, in a free market, it's not a place for battle but an opportunity to have both our desires met.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Russell Griswold

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »

I've been very happy with Windows 7's stability and interface.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »

The Windows Start menu still sucks, I agree, but you can make it suck a lot less with a program that re-organizes your Programs into a Gnome/KDE-like hierarchy by category (ex Internet, MultiMedia, Developer, Utilities, etc), and there are many other third party tweaks as well.  That's the only Windows UI downside I can think of, it wins in every other category.

That's the one thing that I'm glad the M$ folks took on and actually improved through their search integration and favorites main menu on the start menu now. I think it's suppose to cover even documents as well.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »

From Slashydotty --  New Firefox Vulnerability Revealed --

Not long after Firefox 3.5.1 was released to address a security issue, a new exploit has been found and a proof of concept has been posted.

"The vulnerability is a remote stack-based buffer-overflow, triggered by sending an overly long string of Unicode data to the document.write method. If exploited, the resulting overflow could lead to code execution, or if the exploit attempts fail, a denial-of-service scenario."

It's recommended that Firefox users disable Javascript until the issue is patched, though addons like NoScript should do the trick as well (unless a site on your whitelist becomes compromised).

As Microsoft alternatives gain market share (from a pathetic 1% to a respectable 15%), it becomes ever-more apparent that Microsoft's security wasn't so bad after all when you consider that's what everyone has been targeting - for reasons pragmatic (more users to exploit) as well as ideological.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2009, 03:25:56 AM »

Say what you will about Ubuntu, but I've convinced 2 people already to move from Windows to Linux Mint.  Yes, the base is Ubuntu, but it is so polished and just works, even wireless.  It saved both these people from having to buy new computers, and it's safer for them.  They still have antivirus software and a firewall of course, but they say their systems are running much faster.

For the average computer user who just surfs the net and plays online flash-based games, answers email, IM's, Linux will work fine for these people, especially Linux Mint.  For us "geeks" who think Linux Mint is too user-friendly and hand-holding, then there are alternatives.  I agree Ubuntu is getting to be utter crap lately, but I'm impressed with Linux Mint and some of the other forks of ubuntu that haven't been eaten by Canonical.

My wife had an eeepc that windows died on and I couldnt reload windows on.....I used linux mint to bring it back from the dead.....you can even get a version of it called...wait for it....Minteee  lol
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:16 AM »

Once again, a reminder: this is a general Microsoft business desktop thread.

I have another active thread here about Linux distros.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »

Once again, a reminder: this is a general Microsoft business desktop thread.

Awwwww. You should have put it in Hyjack Free.

Funny how I don't see "general" or "business" anywhere in the subject.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »

Meh...

Anywhoo, from Slashdot -- Microsoft Releases Linux Device Drivers As GPL --

Microsoft used to call the GPL "anti-American".  Now, as Microsoft releases Hyper-V Linux Integration Components (LinuxIC) under the GPL (version 2), apparently Microsoft calls the GPL "ally".

Of course, there was little chance the device drivers would be accepted into the Linux kernel base unless open source, but the news suggests a shift for Microsoft.  It also reflects Microsoft's continued interest in undermining its virtualization competition through low prices, and may suggests concern that it must open up if it wants to fend off insurgent virtualization strategies from Red Hat (KVM), Novell (XEN), and others in the open-source camp.

Microsoft said the move demonstrates its interest in using open source in three key areas: 1) Make its software development processes more efficient, 2) product evangelism, and 3) using open source to reduce marketing and sales costs or to try out new features that highlight parts of the platform customers haven't seen before.

Sellouts!  :lol:

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »

poasting love for Win98SE here

it might not be supported anymore, but it will always be the OS of my heart :3
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »

:|
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BonerJoe

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »

It ran sexy on my Pentium Pro 200.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »

For me it was Win95.

However, one never forgets their first, so it's no surprise that I get a tang of familiarity when using a tty console or bring up a command line BASIC interpreter.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.