Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147331 times)

blackie

Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »

I re-install my operating system every few months, mainly because I get bored with it, regardless of which one I'm using.

Heck, I don't even REBOOT every couple of months.  :P

I had one server loop the old Linux uptime counter...twice.
Do you turn the lights off when you leave a room?

NHArticleTen

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »

I re-install my operating system every few months, mainly because I get bored with it, regardless of which one I'm using.

Heck, I don't even REBOOT every couple of months.  :P

Do you turn the lights off when you leave a room?

who needs lights, the screen saver is bright enough to illuminate the whole room...

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »

From Slashdot -- EU Wants Multiple Browser Bundling On New PCs --

The EU is considering forcing Windows users to choose a browser to download and install before they can first browse the Internet, according to The Wall Street Journal  (subscription required).

While the latest Windows 7 builds let you uninstall IE8, "third-party browser makers like Opera, Mozilla and Google are pushing for tough sanctions against Microsoft.  The EU would rather have a 'ballot screen' for users to choose which browsers to download and install as well as which one to set as default.  The bundling requirement might end up becoming a responsibility for manufacturers."

Fuckin' commies!  :x

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »

Regardless of the disagreement over OS, that is one thing we can completely agree upon.

Any legislation specifying what a private company may or may not do with their own product is reprehensible.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

NHArticleTen

« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »

From Slashdot -- EU Wants Multiple Browser Bundling On New PCs --

The EU is considering forcing Windows users to choose a browser to download and install before they can first browse the Internet, according to The Wall Street Journal  (subscription required).

While the latest Windows 7 builds let you uninstall IE8, "third-party browser makers like Opera, Mozilla and Google are pushing for tough sanctions against Microsoft.  The EU would rather have a 'ballot screen' for users to choose which browsers to download and install as well as which one to set as default.  The bundling requirement might end up becoming a responsibility for manufacturers."

and the insane insanity continues unabated...

ugh...

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2009, 12:03:27 AM »

Heck, I don't even REBOOT every couple of months.  Razz

I have a laptop. If we were talking servers, I wouldn't suggest Windows or Linux. I install my OS because I find it fun. I happen to avoid the activation by doing that, but I do it when I'm running my legit copies of Vista or Linux, so it has very little to do with the fact that I CAN avoid the license thing. I'd just crack it if that was my aim.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2009, 07:28:02 AM »

From Slashdot -- Ballmer Threatens To Pull Out of the US --

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is threatening to move Microsoft employees offshore if Congress enacts President Obama's plans to curb tax avoidance by US corporations.

"It makes US jobs more expensive," complained billionaire Ballmer.  "We're better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the US as opposed to keeping them inside the US."

According to 2006 reports, Microsoft transferred $16 billion in assets to secretive Dublin subsidiaries to shave billions off its US tax bill.

"Corporate tax is part of the overall advantage of doing business in Ireland," acknowledged Ballmer in 2005. "It would be disingenuous to say otherwise."

NHArticleTen

« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2009, 08:43:58 AM »

From Slashdot -- Ballmer Threatens To Pull Out of the US --

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is threatening to move Microsoft employees offshore if Congress enacts President Obama's plans to curb tax avoidance by US corporations.

"It makes US jobs more expensive," complained billionaire Ballmer.  "We're better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the US as opposed to keeping them inside the US."

According to 2006 reports, Microsoft transferred $16 billion in assets to secretive Dublin subsidiaries to shave billions off its US tax bill.

"Corporate tax is part of the overall advantage of doing business in Ireland," acknowledged Ballmer in 2005. "It would be disingenuous to say otherwise."

I fully support Ballmer closing up shop here and moving away from the people's failed republic of Amerika...

Personal and professional secession starts with the mindset to refuse to be a victim, and then to implement that throughout your life and your businesses...

Of course, if he would attempt to do that then the Obamanator would nationalize Microsoft in the interest of national security...

Same with Google when they try to pack up and leave for better pastures...

I'm sure the Chinese(or the Russians...or the Swiss) would love to have Microsoft and Google!

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »

He's probably bluffing, the U.S. government is Microsoft's #1 supporter.

Intellectual property laws don't just come about naturally, some corrupt government thugs have to be bribed first...

Um, did I just flip-flop back to Linux?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:52:37 PM by Alex Libman 2012 »

NHArticleTen

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2009, 01:56:45 PM »

Intellectual property laws don't just come about naturally, some corrupt government thugs have to be bribed first...

Um, did I just flip-flop back to Linux?

your animations crack me up

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2009, 09:41:25 AM »

On the topic of the thread this article, and especially the posted responses, are wonderfully insightful:

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/06/linux-sucks-as.html

Does that make Mr. Libman a paid shill of Microsoft? No, I would not make such an assertion. He's just repeating the talking points, directly or by osmosis, or even because that has actually been his experience by some astounding coincidence, from the present Microsoft astroturf play-book.

Heck, I don't even disagree with him on most things, as we can see here:

And one of their biggest customers. Who knows what backdoors the Fed.Gov has inserted into Windows?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=us+government+backdoor+windows

Which reminds me of one of the strangest "services" the US Government ever provided: Security Enhanced Linux:

http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/

...for Solaris and BSD, too.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2009, 02:17:56 PM »

This thread is about the quality of Microsoft products, particularly from a business-oriented developer point of view.  Obviously Microsoft is in bed with the government, as all corporations are obligated to be as the result of government violence.  They're not the problem, the government is!

Now, the next "talking point", from Slashdot -- First Look At Microsoft Silverlight 3 --

InfoWorld's Martin Heller finds Silverlight 3 gaining ground on Adobe Flash, Flex, and AIR in all the areas where Silverlight 2 had lagged.

No longer do developers need to build desktop WPF apps based loosely on corresponding Silverlight RIAs, as Silverlight 3 adds the ability to install Silverlight apps on the desktop, update them in place, detect Net connectivity state changes, and store data locally and securely. Moreover, solid Expression Blend 3 and Visual Studio 2010 betas [WP] provide developers with much improved tools to create Silverlight RIAs.

"'I do not expect many Adobe shops to give up their Flash, Flex, and AIR for Silverlight 3.  I do expect many Microsoft shops to do more RIAs with Silverlight now that it's more capable and to create lightweight browser / desktop Silverlight 3 applications where they might have fashioned heavier-weight Windows Forms or WPF client applications', Heller says."

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »

Alex, no one has yet shown any valid use of those fucking 'widgets' on Linux, Mac, or Windows desktops. They're the new Bonzi Buddy of this (and probably the next) decade! Or in simpler terms: they're SHIT! GIMME MAH NATIVE ENVIRONMENT BACK!
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »

Oh heck, no one has yet shown any valid use for resizable windows - I always keep one window maximized and hardly ever see my desktop, which is blank.  The operating system could have been called Tabs for all I care!

But it seems to entertain some people, so, well, who cares.  n00btards are people too - especially if they have money to pay for for the next release of Windows. 

So anyways, I don't see what this has to do with Silverlight, which brings about many improvements over Java(FX) or Flash...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:13:06 PM by Alex Libman 2012 »

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »

The operating system could have been called Tabs for all I care!

Cute. One of the lightweight "desktops" I keep on hand is twm, the "Tab Window Manager" http://xwinman.org/vtwm.php

I notice that OLWM is on their list too, I also keep that on hand just in case I want to party like it's 1992!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 47 queries.