Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 148098 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »

I used to be a hardcore computer geek, but I've never dabbled in radio (even though I may have the face for it, I have the voice for text only).

I ran programming groups / little dot-com start-up attempts (which I took way, way too seriously) when I was in high school, dabbled in some game programming, etc.

Not any more.  I haven't even worked full time with computers since like 5 years ago... 

I totally feel you on this one.  Burnout is one of the biggest problems in the IT world.  I knew this computer programmer who just up and quit his job one day and went on to become a house painter.  He said he never wanted to deal with IT ever again.  I too felt some burn out on IT and threw off the shackles of a desk for an outside physical labor job. 

Now I just do minor stuff like surf the net.  This is why Linux is difficult for me but I do so loath Microsoft and Apple.  If there really was a reasonable alternative which worked right out of the box I would be all over it.  This is why I keep pulling for Linux to get it together.  Keeping my fingers crossed that some bright developer out there will put together a functional Linux package at a reasonable price.   Maybe they need some sort of easy to follow guide.  Maybe I should run down to the bookstore and purchase a copy of Linux for Dummies. 

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »

Burnout is one of the biggest problems in the IT world.

Agreed. It's intense, hard intellectual work. And no matter how good a job one does, it's never "done". Someone always comes up with something they want changed, or added, or whatever.

My field is networking. "Router Guru", as it were. On-call SUCKS. Years of having to get up in the middle of the night, or spending weekends doing overnight migrations, really takes it out of a body. If I were any good at house painting, I'd prefer that too. At least when you leave a painting job and go home, you know you can get a good night's sleep.

Now I just do minor stuff like surf the net.  This is why Linux is difficult for me but I do so loath Microsoft and Apple.  If there really was a reasonable alternative which worked right out of the box I would be all over it.  This is why I keep pulling for Linux to get it together.

When I set up a Windows system for someone, it takes me quite a while to get all drivers loaded, the 3rd party applications together, lock down the network (getting better, at least Microsoft has learned to turn some few things OFF by default), make sure their anti-virus isn't going to be the source of their problems, etc. Then I just make sure that FireFox sets itself as the default browser and there is no Internet Explorer icon on the desktop. That solves quite a number of problems all by itself.

Comparing the work of ensuring that Xwindows has the right screen size, that the network interface is correctly being detected, then doing the same basic work of getting the applications together, a Linux install is (for me) far less intensive to get to the same level of usability.

I understand perfectly well that familiarity, technical skill, simple preference, all make one or the other work better for a person, but the impression that it just doesn't work is a constant surprise to me.

There's a YouTube of people trying out a GNOME/Linux system after being told it's the next version of Windows. The reactions are all very positive. "Gee, that's easy!"

Keeping my fingers crossed that some bright developer out there will put together a functional Linux package at a reasonable price.   Maybe they need some sort of easy to follow guide.  Maybe I should run down to the bookstore and purchase a copy of Linux for Dummies. 

If you're going to get a Dummies book, see if there is one for the distribution you want to try. RedHat, for instance, has their own installer that has some WONDERFUL options I've never needed to use.

Descriptions, sources and languages: Distrowatch.com: $0
Install disk: $0.10 to burn, $1.75 finished from LinuxCD.org
Linux.org HowTo guides: $0
LXer.com, LinuxQuestions.org, DebianPlanet or hundreds of other forums: $0

Heck, send me a personal message with a mailing address, I'll mail you a liveCD to see if your hardware is all correctly detected. Do you like GNOME or KDE or XFCE as a desktop?

So what's the price you call "reasonable"?  :lol:
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

blackie

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »

I have an old Red Hat distro, (maybe 6.2) and the paper case was signed by Linus Torvalds at Linux World 2000. Wanna buy it? I've been wondering how much a linux fanboy would pay for it.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »

I have an old Red Hat distro, (maybe 6.2) and the paper case was signed by Linus Torvalds at Linux World 2000. Wanna buy it? I've been wondering how much a linux fanboy would pay for it.

Many people would pay good money for relics of the prophet of the penguin god.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

eBay it, and buy Vista for all the $

Jetfire

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »

If you know what your doing..... then vista is free. Not that I would know anything about that....

blackie

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »

If you know what your doing..... then vista is free. Not that I would know anything about that....
I haven't used any warez in years. I have had legal access to the entire MS software library for the last 9 years.

Jetfire

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »

warez? never used that before

http://tinyurl.com/mxchcl
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:17:22 PM by Dave »

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »

Run Windows 7 RC 1. It's free.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »

Many people would pay good money for relics of the prophet of the penguin god.

Don't diss the penguin god lest your ballsack be frozen to your inner thigh. :x

Sadly at this point my collection of stuffed penguin toys seems more useful. :(  Hey but I will continue to work on learning Linux because I am so sick of Windows pushing out yet another bloat ware version making all my very expensive programs useless.  It isn't the cost of Vista but the cost of all the programs which I purchased and use that now have to be repurchased to function that makes me angry.  And I do think I am making an effort to transition because I already use firefox and open office.  I am getting ready to start using nue and gimp.  It might take some time but I have told myself even if I have to buy an Apple I will be done with Microsoft.

Jetfire

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2009, 07:23:17 PM »

Run Windows 7 RC 1. It's free.

for what like a year?

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »

I re-install my operating system every few months, mainly because I get bored with it, regardless of which one I'm using. By the time the Windows 7 RC expires, the full version will be out and I can install that one as a trial too. :P
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

Jetfire

« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »

yea too much trouble to go through. when its fully available and cracked then i'm good to go.

BonerJoe

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »

I'm installing Windows 7 on a fresh 320 gig drive on my laptop. We'll see how it goes.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »

I re-install my operating system every few months, mainly because I get bored with it, regardless of which one I'm using.

Heck, I don't even REBOOT every couple of months.  :P

I had one server loop the old Linux uptime counter...twice.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 46 queries.