Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147294 times)

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2009, 06:35:45 AM »

I just ended my last Linux experiment, and have gone back to Windoze. Fucking Linux sucks like nothing has ever sucked before. Windows XP works out of the box, and runs smoothly on my crap ass 256MB SDRAM box. Linux, on the other hand, is slow, needs to be tinkered with to get every day shit to work, and is piss poor when it comes to stuff like Java and Flash. I tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Puppy and Mint, and neither of them even came close to working like Windows. Fuck that Linux shit, it's not worth the hassle.

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »

Ubuntu is like un-upgradeable. I've upgraded in the past and ran into all kinds of problems.
You have to just install clean and transfer information its a pain in the ass and useless.

To be fair...

Yeah, package manager problems are a fact of life, but Ubuntu does a better job than most.  I had that problem upgrading Fedora, which indeed is un-upgradable.  I didn't have major problems upgrading Ubuntu, but I did apt-get myself into trouble on a couple of occasions - and I'm not a n00b, so that just goes to show you that viruses and other n00b mistakes that happen on Windows do have their Linux analogues.

And it's easier to rebuild the OS with UNIX - just keep /home on a separate partition and have script to backup /etc, /var/www, and whatever else you need.  It's also very simple to generate a script to install or remove the packages you like or dislike, etc.  It takes a whole day to break in a Windows system - service packs / updates, drivers, all the apps you gotta download from separate places, Office, Visual Studio and MSDN take particularly long to install, etc.  There's no excuse for Windows not having decent package management system, even if it would have to be a third party product for antitrust reasons.  With Windows you should do the same thing - keep the OS on a separate partition (just Windows, Program Files, and user settings), and put all the documents, downloads, temp files, etc on other partitions.  Then simply use something like Norton Ghost for regular differential backups.

I just ended my last Linux experiment, and have gone back to Windoze.
[...]  Fuck that Linux shit, it's not worth the hassle.

I'd bet that at least 80% of people who try Linux as a desktop OS come to the same conclusion.

It's better when you ease into it.  For the first few years of my experience, UNIX was something I connected to from an ANSI terminal (via a dial-up BBS gateway) to unzip my Web pages and chmod my CGI scripts.  Then I switched to ssh'ing to a remote box, and learned quite a bit about the command line before I ever installed a Linux / BSD partition myself.  (I actually don't remember which one I succeeded in installing first, I didn't keep it long.)  For a long time my Gentoo partition (also accessible via VMware) became more of a game, and a good way to waste CPU cycles...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:21:50 AM by Alex Libman 17 »

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »

Linux reminds me of the guy who proudly shows his friend the TV he brought home from the city dump. When his friend points out that the thing doesn't work, he replies, "You're right--it doesn't work. But, you have to balance that out with the fact that it was free."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

NHArticleTen

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »

we must not lose sight of the fact that many people only use a computer for email and general web surfing/research/blogging and thus DO NOT REQUIRE bloatware...

windoze AND osx AND ubuntu/other *nixware...ARE fucking bloatware...

to wit:

I just grabbed a 2004 dell laptop off the storage shelf and slapped a Puppy Linux(100mb) Live-Run CD in it...

Whatdidiget?

I got a full system WITH fucking wifi support, cabled lan support, and dial-up support...

all without even needing to install...or even without having a hard drive in the box...

If you need/want bloatware...fine, but millions don't need it and there are millions of "not-brand-new" and legacy units out there for free or little money that will work for email and light-interwebbing...

no offense either way...

just sayin'

amirite?

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

Yeah, and IIRC the 100MB version of PuppyLinux includes Mozilla SeaMonkey (similar to Firefox), stripped-down OpenOffice.org, etc.  I'm sure Microsoft could build a comparable compilation from Windows 95 / Office 95 if it really wanted to.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:53:06 AM by Alex Libman 17 »

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »

amirite?

I think you are, since you found something that works for you.

It's the "what works for me is right for everyone" crowd who would object.

I'm also quite pleased with what works for me, and I am very glad to have the ability to choose.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

LordMarius

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »

we must not lose sight of the fact that many people only use a computer for email and general web surfing/research/blogging and thus DO NOT REQUIRE bloatware...

windoze AND osx AND ubuntu/other *nixware...ARE fucking bloatware...

to wit:

I just grabbed a 2004 dell laptop off the storage shelf and slapped a Puppy Linux(100mb) Live-Run CD in it...

Whatdidiget?

I got a full system WITH fucking wifi support, cabled lan support, and dial-up support...

all without even needing to install...or even without having a hard drive in the box...

If you need/want bloatware...fine, but millions don't need it and there are millions of "not-brand-new" and legacy units out there for free or little money that will work for email and light-interwebbing...

no offense either way...

just sayin'

amirite?

I'm so addicted to bloatware that I want an OS and browser that allow me to download torrents, watch funny vids at Break.com and use my online bank without my computer acting like it's been kicked in the balls. Neither Puppy nor Mint or any of the other Ubuntu distributions could do that, Windoze does it right out of the box. Linux sucks.

LordMarius

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »

Yeah, and IIRC the 100MB version of PuppyLinux includes Mozilla SeaMonkey (similar to Firefox), stripped-down OpenOffice.org, etc.  I'm sure Microsoft could build a comparable compilation from Windows 95 / Office 95 if it really wanted to.  :lol:

Why not just get an OLPC? :P

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

Perhaps off topic, but I just downloaded openoffice last night. I didnt need anything but I really wanted to get my hands on the replacement for powerpoint. I made a nice slide show, and I'd say it works quite well.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »

That is exactly it.  My husband has an older laptop and honest to god the only thing he does is a little web surfing and checks his email.  He isn't into gaming, watching youtube or anything else.  So I have been playing around with Linux on that computer. 

Now me on the other hand I have use for loads of programs and need to do more.  I use XP and will be very mightily pissed when that is obsolete.  It does something Vista can't it works and helps me accomplish my projects.  But I do plan to learn more about Linux and I use Open Office now it works fine for what I do.  But I am using it on a xp system.  I would like nothing better than to find a Linux system which will do the things that xp can do.  Maybe Red Hat which does cost some money.  It is possible the free Linux stuff isn't worth the time. 

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »

I'm so addicted to bloatware that I want an OS and browser that allow me to download torrents, watch funny vids at Break.com and use my online bank without my computer acting like it's been kicked in the balls. Neither Puppy nor Mint or any of the other Ubuntu distributions could do that, Windoze does it right out of the box.

Couldn't agree more.

Linux sucks.

What amazes me is that Linux did all that "out of the box" for me, too. So, for me, Windows sucks.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »

I'm so addicted to bloatware that I want an OS and browser that allow me to download torrents, watch funny vids at Break.com and use my online bank without my computer acting like it's been kicked in the balls. Neither Puppy nor Mint or any of the other Ubuntu distributions could do that, Windoze does it right out of the box.

Couldn't agree more.

Linux sucks.

What amazes me is that Linux did all that "out of the box" for me, too. So, for me, Windows sucks.

Please I would love to use Linux which version are you using that it worked so well right out of the gate.  My friend that loaded Linux on the laptop partitioned the drive and left windows on there.  I didn't want any windows to occupy one bite of that hard drive.   She used Linux Foresight which is used on some out of the box shuttle computers.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »

Please I would love to use Linux which version are you using that it worked so well right out of the gate.  My friend that loaded Linux on the laptop partitioned the drive and left windows on there.  I didn't want any windows to occupy one bite of that hard drive.   She used Linux Foresight which is used on some out of the box shuttle computers.

One thing about banks and YouTube, I find that FireFox usually works better than Safari or whatever else to render their scripting. So although I use Konqueror by default, for those sites utterly over-burdened with scripting I use FireFox. In Debian it's called "IceWeasel" because of licensing issues.

While I've also had people around me crowing about Ubuntu, my personal favorite is Debian.

I've been using Debian since 1995, and since 2000 I've used the "Unstable" set. I found the continuous evolution worked better for me than trying to make large changes all at once with "Stable" releases.

However, I've put Lenny, the Debian "Stable" release this year on three laptops including my primary, and have been very happy with it. So is my mother. So much for "unready for grandma's desktop".

Anyway, here are the sources:

http://www.debian.org/CD/
If you like KDE like I do, make sure to use the "minimal net install" and select "install alternative desktop", or get the KDE CD#1, otherwise it will install GNOME.

http://www.debian-multimedia.org/
for Mplayer, transcode and other such. It does require editing one file as root, /etc/apt/sources.list, in order to have that archive automatically available. So all those configuration horror stories about Debian are true to as great a degree as pasting one line of text into one plain text file make them.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
I have found WICD to be the best of the Wifi managers.

As mentioned in http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=29270.0 I do use VirtualBox for that one Windows-only application.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

It's better when you ease into it.  For the first few years of my experience, UNIX was something I connected to from an ANSI terminal (via a dial-up BBS gateway) to unzip my Web pages and chmod my CGI scripts.  Then I switched to ssh'ing to a remote box, and learned quite a bit about the command line before I ever installed a Linux / BSD partition myself.  (I actually don't remember which one I succeeded in installing first, I didn't keep it long.)  For a long time my Gentoo partition (also accessible via VMware) became more of a game, and a good way to waste CPU cycles...

Libman, you're hardcore.

Ever thought of setting up a hamgate, or, better yet, a pirate hamgate?
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »

I used to be a hardcore computer geek, but I've never dabbled in radio (even though I may have the face for it, I have the voice for text only).

I ran programming groups / little dot-com start-up attempts (which I took way, way too seriously) when I was in high school, dabbled in some game programming, etc.

Not any more.  I haven't even worked full time with computers since like 5 years ago... 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 32 queries.