Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147332 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »

I just installed Ubuntu on my box. Unfortunately, this box was excavated by archeologists and dated to about 2.000BC, so it's running really sluggish. I'm downloading Kubuntu and will try that, would you über nerds agree that that's a good call, or are there any other distros that a hopeless n00b like should try in such a circumstance?
The KDE environment (kubuntu) has more "pretty" features and will run slower than Gnome (ubuntu).  Easiest thing to do is add more ram, if you're running under 1 gig of it all of the "pretty" things are just gonna lag your box.

Yeah, I most definitely found out. And it's an ugly little bastard as well. I tried it out for five minutes and downloaded Xubuntu. So now I've been through three versions of Ubuntu in one day. I think I should get a life.
It looks more barebones so it should run faster, although I have no experience with it.  Keep us updated!
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Icculi

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »

Ok, another app just crashed and won't be killed.

FreeDownloadManager - fdm.exe

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »

Yeah, don't use that junk.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Icculi

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »

Ok, so I installed MLDonkey on my WHS box last night.  Two problems were encountered.  First, I couldn't figure out how to set up the torrent folders into a different path.  They seemed to be fixed under the program directory.  The OS partition is only 20gb.  I guess I could move the entire directory to my shared drive pool (ugly solution but hey), but that leads to the next problem.  The second problem I encountered was when I set up the Incoming_Files and Incoming_Directories folders onto the Drive Extender partition it was giving me a large negative number like -123143458234  or something like that for the amount of free space.  But the drive pool has around 1.8TB free.  Now when I would start a download it would report that the drive is full and it's placing it in the queue.  Is there anyway of disabling this feature?  Just write to the disk regardless of how much free space it thinks is left?  It kind of bummed me out because it was looking pretty promising at first.  I'll check out some of the other links provided.

Icculi

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »

Yeah, don't use that junk.

Actually, that's the first time I've ever had problems with the program.   I use it all the time to pull down large (4GB+) GIS files off the web at work.   Works pretty well.  The crash occurred when I clicked the icon to browse to a folder to save to.  It seems a lot of the Vista problems I have are related to the new Common Dialog box (browse for files, folders, etc...).  Is there any way of getting the old one back?  Nonetheless, an application crash is one thing but being unable to kill the crashed process in the Task Manager is something completely different IMO.  Oh, and I've tried other Task Manager type programs like the sysinternals process explorer mentioned above with the same results.

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2009, 09:34:01 AM »

Goddamn, linux is really starting to rule on userfriendliness. I've just gotten my Xubuntu running great straight out of the box, have installed Spotify through Wine easily, have mounted the NTFS partition where I keep my media just by editing fstab a bit, and have just managed to share the media with my 360 without any hassle whatsoever. And on my prehistoric box, the Xubuntu smoothly. Good bye, Windows!

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »

Goddamn, linux is really starting to rule on userfriendliness. I've just gotten my Xubuntu running great straight out of the box, have installed Spotify through Wine easily, have mounted the NTFS partition where I keep my media just by editing fstab a bit, and have just managed to share the media with my 360 without any hassle whatsoever. And on my prehistoric box, the Xubuntu smoothly. Good bye, Windows!

Welcome to the world of linux
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »

just wait til you've tried puppy linux 4.2

Jetfire

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »

puppy linux or any others it doesnt really matter. each person has there own distro they like

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »

I'll definitely try it some time, but now I'm sticking with my wonderful Xubuntu. By the way, what's your part in this puppy linux thing, just a satisfied user or are you involved somehow? ;)

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »

I'll definitely try it some time, but now I'm sticking with my wonderful Xubuntu. By the way, what's your part in this puppy linux thing, just a satisfied user or are you involved somehow? ;)

I just saw there is a puppy linux retro for older machines

Alex Libman

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »

Um, this is a Windows thread.  Please don't get too carried away with the Linux chit-chat, there are plenty of other places for that.

Ok, so I installed MLDonkey on my WHS box last night.  [...]

Sorry, I haven't used MLDonkey extensively, and never with Windows.  I just brought it up as a possible solution.  Hope you can get help with it elsewhere.

If an app crashes - don't use it.  Try different ones to decide which one works best for you.  I use Orbit Downloader when I really need a download manager (i.e. accelerate a large .iso), but Firefox with Download Statusbar gets the job done the vast majority of the time.  Use physical folders for categorization.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:27:01 PM by Alex Libman »

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »

Um, this is a Windows thread.  Please don't get too carried away with the Linux chit-chat, there are plenty of other places for that.

Ok, so I installed MLDonkey on my WHS box last night.  [...]

Sorry, I haven't used MLDonkey extensively, and never with Windows.  I just brought it up as a possible solution.  Hope you can get help with it elsewhere.

If an app crashes - don't use it.  Try different ones to decide which one works best for you.  I use Orbit Downloader when I really need a download manager (i.e. accelerate a large .iso), but Firefox with Download Statusbar gets the job done the vast majority of the time.  Use physical folders for categorization.

Yes a windows thread saying something sucks. As such, said "suckish item" is open to defense

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »

And while we are on it, windows since NT 3.51 has been a "closed" version of a unix kernel, so now its just a matter of you're love of a particular window manager.

Alex Libman

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »

Window manager, virtual machine (CLR), application stack, business solutions, and so on.  Microsoft Office and Visual Studio are still tops, and I expect Silverlight to give Flash a serious run for its money a couple of years from now.

Microsoft has been investing tens of billions into R&D all over the world lately, and it's finally starting to pay off.  You should check out some Microsoft propaganda feeds:  ch9, ch10, OnMicrosoft, WindowsClient.net, etc (especially the first two).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.