Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147299 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »

First, this laptop is fairly decent.  HP dv9700 w/ 4GB of dual channel RAM, core duo 2.5Ghz, dual 120GB HD's (no RAID though), 17" w/ HDMI, Blu-ray player, Nvidia 8800 512MB, blah blah...  Not top of the line, but it should be enough to handle Vista.  Overall Vista isn't bad, when it works.  But certain apps will just hang for apparently no reason and when I try to kill them through Task Manager they won't go away and start messing up everything else.  Also, I have a Windows Home Server box set up and my XP computer gives me no problems.  Vista on the other hand will loose connection to the server after a while and I have to reboot the laptop to fix it.  Vista just doesn't seem to play well with XP and Windows Server...

Anyways, thanks for the info.  I'll follow the links and give it a try.  Also, I've heard about VMWare from my friend, I may go that route until I get a good OS setup I like.  I have multiple backups of the laptop on my server so I'm not really afraid to go screwing around.  I just don't want to waste too much time with it.
I honestly do not think that Vista's the issue here.  I'm thinking its some of the HP software that came installed on your laptop.  I have an HP laptop that runs vista and its got a slower cpu in it than yours (the DV4 64-bit w/Core 2 Duo 2.0 & 4 gigs RAM), yet I don't have any of the issues on it that you describe.  Of course I uninstalled a large portion of the software that came installed on it when I purchased it.

What apps are we talking about when you say that "certain apps will just hang for apparently no reason"  and refuse to be killed in Taskman?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 01:35:18 AM »

Hey, since all the computer guru's are here.  Do any of you know of a good HTTP/FTP download program that has a web/remote interface that I can install on my Windows Server box?  I currently have uTorrent for torrents, eMule for direct p2p, and FileZilla for FTP serving.  But, I don't have anything good for direct HTTP or FTP downloads.  Currently I just Remote Desktop in and start the download, but it would be nice to have a web interface like uTorrent and eMule have...

for command line
wget or curl
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 01:40:58 AM »

I've usually been pretty happy with Microsoft products, but after having Vista on my laptop I'm at my wits end.  Vista is the biggest piece of shiat OS I've ever used... Well maybe Me was worse, but it's a close call.  And top off that I can't downgrade to XP Pro I'm (for the first time ever) considering Ubuntu or some other distro.  Any recommendations for someone who's never used Linux for a laptop/media center type computer?  I'm actually pretty good with computers, can do a bit of coding, etc.  But, I've never used Linux.  Worked a bit with Unix for a programming class back in college, but that's about it.

How's compatibility with Windows apps and games?  Is there any?  Or do you need applications and games that are built for Linux?  Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm new to this whole thing...

wine works pretty well for windows apps under linux, i run a number of windows ham radio apps using it.

games are another issue.
http://www.linuxgames.com/
http://www.happypenguin.org/
http://whdb.com/2008/top-25-linux-games-for-2008/
http://rangit.com/software/top-8-linux-games-of-2007/
http://games.linux.sk/

Office is replaced by openoffice

IE by firefox
outlook by thunderbird

Jetfire

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 02:41:38 AM »

I personally had a bit of trouble when I first used linux. I work with programmers though and they helped me a lot.  Before I used vista with 8gigs of ram but overtime even with spy ware and anti virus software issues I had compatibility issues and slow functions despite having 64bit vista. Kubuntu has been awesome to use although slightly troublesome at first. I wished I used it a long time ago.

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 03:07:46 AM »

Some open source books for free download

worth looking at if youre new to linux/open source
one of my favs is the cathedral and the bazzar

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=4491

Icculi

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »

If command line control would be good enough, I'd use Cygwin's ssh server to connect to the other box and control it via command line.  You could ssh in using PuTTY or TeraTerm (or Cygwin shell on the client PC as well) and issue commands like wget, aria2c, and so on.  There also are multi-protocol P2P programs like MLDonkey that can be controlled via command line (or Web, or client apps).  You could also map a drive to an ssh server (or use something like WinSCP) to save torrent / metalink files to a folder on the other computer where a download program auto-imports them.

Thanks Alex.  I currently have uTorrent setup with both web UI and monitored folders.  If every program worked as nicely as uTorrent does I'd be a happy camper.   I did try installing MLDonkey a few weeks ago, but I didn't notice the FTP/HTTP transfer capability.  I'll definitely be checking it out again...  And hell if it handles Torrents well, I may just rid of uTorrent - one less service to load up.

Now when you map a drive to a SSH server and say you initiate a download from the web.  Does this download go from Web -> Client -> Server.  Or from Web -> Server?  Cuz, I really want the server to handle all the downloading.  The client would just tell the server what to get.  Thanks.

Icculi

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »

I honestly do not think that Vista's the issue here.  I'm thinking its some of the HP software that came installed on your laptop.  I have an HP laptop that runs vista and its got a slower cpu in it than yours (the DV4 64-bit w/Core 2 Duo 2.0 & 4 gigs RAM), yet I don't have any of the issues on it that you describe.  Of course I uninstalled a large portion of the software that came installed on it when I purchased it.

What apps are we talking about when you say that "certain apps will just hang for apparently no reason"  and refuse to be killed in Taskman?

I think your right about the HP bloatware that comes installed.  I've been slowly disabling/uninstalling the HP crap and things seem to be working a little better.  One thing that happens regularly is that when I'm streaming music from my server to the laptop using Winamp and for some reason the laptop looses connection to the server.  Winamp will freeze up and refuse to be killed in the Task Manager.  I must reboot to use Winamp again.  Another issue is that the laptop sometimes just looses connection to the internet and the local server (through my router both wireless and wired - although it seems to happen mostly when wireless).  It's not my ISP, because I can go to my XP box and everything works fine.  I have to reboot the laptop to get it working again.  The Cyberlink DVD player that came with it has crashed/refused to be killed a few times.  Now, I just use windows media player for DVD playing - works way better anyways.

Alex Libman

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »

Now when you map a drive to a SSH server and say you initiate a download from the web.  Does this download go from Web -> Client -> Server.  Or from Web -> Server?  Cuz, I really want the server to handle all the downloading.  The client would just tell the server what to get.  Thanks.

If you're using SftpDrive [SITE] [WP] [BT] (now called ExpanDrive on PC as well) then it creates a new virtual drive (ex Z:) that is accessible from any Windows program (including Cygwin-based program as /cygdrive/z).  If for example you have your Web browser save a .torrent file to a directory on such a drive, that file is saved there as if it was on your own computer, though your browser might create / delete a local temp file transparently to the user.  It's a very useful program, one of the very few ShareWare apps I've actually legally registered.  (And I still pirate VisualStudio!)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:01:52 AM by Alex Libman »

NHArticleTen

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 01:51:47 PM »

Puppy Linux 4.2 is out and looking good

wouldn't hurt to burn a copy for the glovebox, briefcase, or backpack...

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/official-releases/puppy-linux-42-deep-thought

enjoy!

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »

I just installed Ubuntu on my box. Unfortunately, this box was excavated by archeologists and dated to about 2.000BC, so it's running really sluggish. I'm downloading Kubuntu and will try that, would you über nerds agree that that's a good call, or are there any other distros that a hopeless n00b like should try in such a circumstance?

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »

I prefer Linux as a development platform as all the core languages (C, C++, C#/Mono, Java (admit it, it's good for some crap!), Python, and etc) pretty much run well on it compared to having to supplicate to the assholes from Redmond. Windows is good for one thing and only one thing: Games.

End of line.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

NHArticleTen

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »

I just installed Ubuntu on my box. Unfortunately, this box was excavated by archeologists and dated to about 2.000BC, so it's running really sluggish. I'm downloading Kubuntu and will try that, would you über nerds agree that that's a good call, or are there any other distros that a hopeless n00b like should try in such a circumstance?

what did you think of puppy linux?

I've looked at well over a dozen different distros and still like the puppy!

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »

what did you think of puppy linux?

I've looked at well over a dozen different distros and still like the puppy!

Crunchbang > Puppy, nuff said.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »

The KDE environment (kubuntu) has more "pretty" features and will run slower than Gnome (ubuntu).  Easiest thing to do is add more ram, if you're running under 1 gig of it all of the "pretty" things are just gonna lag your box.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »

The KDE environment (kubuntu) has more "pretty" features and will run slower than Gnome (ubuntu).  Easiest thing to do is add more ram, if you're running under 1 gig of it all of the "pretty" things are just gonna lag your box.

Yeah, I most definitely found out. And it's an ugly little bastard as well. I tried it out for five minutes and downloaded Xubuntu. So now I've been through three versions of Ubuntu in one day. I think I should get a life.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 33 queries.