Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147407 times)

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 06:15:55 AM »

Thanks, I'll try that. I recon this installer will not keep my existing Windoze partition?

Never mind, I wrote that before I bothered to actually check for myself :P

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 06:20:31 AM »

I'm actually gonna spend a little time this easter getting an ubuntu partition up and running. Anyone with any experience sharing media ubuntu -> xbox 360?

Try Wubi first, you wont have to partition

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Ubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!
Download Now

http://wubi-installer.org/

And for those who may want to listen to how and why, heres a podcast with the developer of wubi and the man ian credits with inspiring the AMP program leo laporte, which is how i heard about it

http://twit.tv/floss63

Thanks, I'll try that. I recon this installer will not keep my existing Windoze partition?

Actually, it puts linux into a single file on the windows partition, and gives an option at boot to load the file
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »

I'm actually gonna spend a little time this easter getting an ubuntu partition up and running. Anyone with any experience sharing media ubuntu -> xbox 360?

Try Wubi first, you wont have to partition

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Ubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!
Download Now

http://wubi-installer.org/

And for those who may want to listen to how and why, heres a podcast with the developer of wubi and the man ian credits with inspiring the AMP program leo laporte, which is how i heard about it

http://twit.tv/floss63

Actually, it puts linux into a single file on the windows partition, and gives an option at boot to load the file

n/m i wrote that before i finnished reading the posts
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

Alex Libman

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 06:30:40 AM »

Wubi is very convenient at first, but performance suffers if your host disk gets fragmented.  I've never resized an NTFS partition during Linux / BSD / Solaris install, I've always used something like the EaseUs Partition Master (Windows freeware) beforehand.

Icculi

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »

I've usually been pretty happy with Microsoft products, but after having Vista on my laptop I'm at my wits end.  Vista is the biggest piece of shiat OS I've ever used... Well maybe Me was worse, but it's a close call.  And top off that I can't downgrade to XP Pro I'm (for the first time ever) considering Ubuntu or some other distro.  Any recommendations for someone who's never used Linux for a laptop/media center type computer?  I'm actually pretty good with computers, can do a bit of coding, etc.  But, I've never used Linux.  Worked a bit with Unix for a programming class back in college, but that's about it.

How's compatibility with Windows apps and games?  Is there any?  Or do you need applications and games that are built for Linux?  Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm new to this whole thing...

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »

I've usually been pretty happy with Microsoft products, but after having Vista on my laptop I'm at my wits end.  Vista is the biggest piece of shiat OS I've ever used... Well maybe Me was worse, but it's a close call.  And top off that I can't downgrade to XP Pro I'm (for the first time ever) considering Ubuntu or some other distro.  Any recommendations for someone who's never used Linux for a laptop/media center type computer?  I'm actually pretty good with computers, can do a bit of coding, etc.  But, I've never used Linux.  Worked a bit with Unix for a programming class back in college, but that's about it.

How's compatibility with Windows apps and games?  Is there any?  Or do you need applications and games that are built for Linux?  Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm new to this whole thing...
Get more ram.  They really should have said 2 gigs as the minimum for Vista.  I run 6 gigs and have zero complaints about Vista at all.  It runs faster with 6 gigs of ram than XP did, has more features, and looks prettier.  My laptop thats running vista has 4 gigs of ram, and while its not a speed demon (I never expected it to be in the first place), I don't think it would perform any better on XP.

The biggest differences between the two OS's is the way they manage your memory.  Vista takes advatange of having a lot of it far better than XP did.

If you still want to go to linux, check out kubuntu, but again if you want to enable all the pretty stuff, you'll need ram to do it.  If you don't care about the pretty stuff, then you might prefer the gnome environment over KDE, so just check out ubuntu.

"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »

Any recommendations for someone who's never used Linux for a laptop/media center type computer?  I'm actually pretty good with computers, can do a bit of coding, etc.  But, I've never used Linux.

IMO, sometimes it's the people who "are good with computers" who have the most trouble adjusting. A lot of easy with computers comes from familiarity and not logic. Be prepared to be frustrating doing "simple" things for the first little bit and you'll really begin seeing improvements to how you work.

I'm recommend just using Ubuntu. I'd REALLY recommend you download, burn and try a LiveCD. It lets you use Linux without having to install it. Performance kind of sucks compared to a real install because it reads from a CD and not a much faster hard drive. I've heard people remark that a LiveCD session is almost as slow as running Vista with an underpowered laptop.

If you wanna try the LiveCD, download http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-beta-desktop-i386.iso

Burn it with whatever burning app you use.

Put the CD in your PC, reboot. You might have to press F12 at the bootup, select boot from CD.

Have fun.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 02:40:36 PM »

Any recommendations for someone who's never used Linux for a laptop/media center type computer?  I'm actually pretty good with computers, can do a bit of coding, etc.  But, I've never used Linux.

IMO, sometimes it's the people who "are good with computers" who have the most trouble adjusting. A lot of easy with computers comes from familiarity and not logic. Be prepared to be frustrating doing "simple" things for the first little bit and you'll really begin seeing improvements to how you work.

I'm recommend just using Ubuntu. I'd REALLY recommend you download, burn and try a LiveCD. It lets you use Linux without having to install it. Performance kind of sucks compared to a real install because it reads from a CD and not a much faster hard drive. I've heard people remark that a LiveCD session is almost as slow as running Vista with an underpowered laptop.

If you wanna try the LiveCD, download http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-beta-desktop-i386.iso

Burn it with whatever burning app you use.

Put the CD in your PC, reboot. You might have to press F12 at the bootup, select boot from CD.

Have fun.
I agree, but I'd like to add one suggestion: install VMware if you want to try it out, it will run much faster than a livecd and you can do it from within windows. 
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »

Vista can run very well on lower-end computers if you disable the crap you don't need, and Windows 7 (get x86 / x64 beta via BT) actually runs a bit faster / lighter / smarter than its predecessor!

Go Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings, and set it for "best performance".  Make sure you have enough virtual memory.  Go Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Services and set the ones you don't need to manual (Google ones you don't understand).  Get rid of startup items you don't need.  Don't run many different "check for update" services, use one that checks many programs at the same time (i.e. appupdater, FileHippo, etc). Uninstall unneeded programs.  Pay attention to the task manager (or use procexp.exe from sysinternals) and look which processes use the most total memory and CPU time.  Use lighter programs whenever possible (i.e. VLC instead of DirectShow based players, μTorrent instead of Vuze, etc).  If your virus scanner is wasting too much CPU, consider changing its settings.  Defrag.  Use a registry cleaner / optimizer.  And so on.

If you want to use VMware - their free player is missing a lot of good features, but here's a good link to pirate VMware Workstation.  You can download lots of pre-installed Linux images from thoughtpolice.co.uk.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:43:03 PM by Alex Libman »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 06:19:33 PM »

Added note:  If you want to use linux as your media center check out MythTV, also Mythbuntu.  Personally I thought that while Myth had a lot of great features, it was crap compared to Windows Media Center.  I have a TV Tuner card that I use in my Media Center desktop and experimented with both.

Icculi

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »

First, this laptop is fairly decent.  HP dv9700 w/ 4GB of dual channel RAM, core duo 2.5Ghz, dual 120GB HD's (no RAID though), 17" w/ HDMI, Blu-ray player, Nvidia 8800 512MB, blah blah...  Not top of the line, but it should be enough to handle Vista.  Overall Vista isn't bad, when it works.  But certain apps will just hang for apparently no reason and when I try to kill them through Task Manager they won't go away and start messing up everything else.  Also, I have a Windows Home Server box set up and my XP computer gives me no problems.  Vista on the other hand will loose connection to the server after a while and I have to reboot the laptop to fix it.  Vista just doesn't seem to play well with XP and Windows Server...

Anyways, thanks for the info.  I'll follow the links and give it a try.  Also, I've heard about VMWare from my friend, I may go that route until I get a good OS setup I like.  I have multiple backups of the laptop on my server so I'm not really afraid to go screwing around.  I just don't want to waste too much time with it.

Icculi

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »

Vista can run very well on lower-end computers if you disable the crap you don't need, and Windows 7 (get x86 / x64 beta via BT) actually runs a bit faster / lighter / smarter than its predecessor!

Go Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings, and set it for "best performance".  Make sure you have enough virtual memory.  Go Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Services and set the ones you don't need to manual (Google ones you don't understand).  Get rid of startup items you don't need.  Don't run many different "check for update" services, use one that checks many programs at the same time (i.e. appupdater, FileHippo, etc). Uninstall unneeded programs.  Pay attention to the task manager (or use procexp.exe from sysinternals) and look which processes use the most total memory and CPU time.  Use lighter programs whenever possible (i.e. VLC instead of DirectShow based players, μTorrent instead of Vuze, etc).  If your virus scanner is wasting too much CPU, consider changing its settings.  Defrag.  Use a registry cleaner / optimizer.  And so on.

If you want to use VMware - their free player is missing a lot of good features, but here's a good link to pirate VMware Workstation.  You can download lots of pre-installed Linux images from thoughtpolice.co.uk.

Yeah I know how to manage windows...  But those are some good links there, will look into some of the lighter app recommendations.

Will definitely be looking into VMWare too.  A while ago I was considering throwing a basic Linux kernel on and then having it immediately VMWare my OS...   But then I decided to give Vista a fair shake.  At home I use this primarily for media streaming and web browsing.  However, when I'm away from home I play some games on it, as well as Visual Studio, SQL Server, AutoCAD and some other work related apps.  I figured I could set up a few different OS's - one strictly for media playback/web browsing, one for gaming, and one for work...  But again, I'm clueless when it comes to Linux.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »

Wubi is very convenient at first, but performance suffers if your host disk gets fragmented.  I've never resized an NTFS partition during Linux / BSD / Solaris install, I've always used something like the EaseUs Partition Master (Windows freeware) beforehand.

I've used Gparted in Puppy Linux(live run CD) to "take away" almost all of an NTFS partition containing XP with repeated success.  Then the reclaimed area can be partitioned and used in any way desired.

I've also used Clonezilla to create exact duplicates of drives/contents before sending in the artillery...

Icculi

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 07:48:13 PM »

Hey, since all the computer guru's are here.  Do any of you know of a good HTTP/FTP download program that has a web/remote interface that I can install on my Windows Server box?  I currently have uTorrent for torrents, eMule for direct p2p, and FileZilla for FTP serving.  But, I don't have anything good for direct HTTP or FTP downloads.  Currently I just Remote Desktop in and start the download, but it would be nice to have a web interface like uTorrent and eMule have...

Alex Libman

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »

If command line control would be good enough, I'd use Cygwin's ssh server to connect to the other box and control it via command line.  You could ssh in using PuTTY or TeraTerm (or Cygwin shell on the client PC as well) and issue commands like wget, aria2c, and so on.  There also are multi-protocol P2P programs like MLDonkey that can be controlled via command line (or Web, or client apps).  You could also map a drive to an ssh server (or use something like WinSCP) to save torrent / metalink files to a folder on the other computer where a download program auto-imports them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:23:40 PM by Alex Libman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 46 queries.