Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147297 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #345 on: November 08, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »

Hey anti-Microsoft Bob - why are you still in this thread?  You've exhausted your capacity for original counter-arguments 10 pages ago!

Anyway, more good news on Microsoft...  AV-Comparatives.org recently reviewed sixteen different anti-virus solutions [2] [PDF], and Microsoft's fast and free Security Essentials (MSE) component tied with Symantec and eScan for 1st place!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:14:59 PM by Alex Libman »

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Linux is just fine.
« Reply #346 on: November 08, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »

Hey anti-Microsoft Bob - why are you still in this thread?

Providing a rational balance to your irrational hatred.

You've exhausted your capacity for substantive counter-arguments 10 pages ago.

Don't blame me if you keep making the same mistakes.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Lukey

« Reply #347 on: November 09, 2009, 12:15:25 AM »

Hey anti-Microsoft Bob - why are you still in this thread?  You've exhausted your capacity for original counter-arguments 10 pages ago!

Anyway, more good news on Microsoft...  AV-Comparatives.org recently reviewed sixteen different anti-virus solutions [2] [PDF], and Microsoft's fast and free Security Essentials (MSE) component tied with Symantec and eScan for 1st place!

Yes that's good they are STARTING to make it a bit more secure, I don't like seeing most computers running windows infected, and running slow, good people who just want to get on line will have to go and shell out a few hundred bucks for the new version every 2 or 3 years. windows is a amazing product where else can you buy a product that's so broken and not be able to get a refund.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #348 on: November 09, 2009, 07:30:23 AM »

[...]  where else can you buy a product that's so broken and not be able to get a refund.

Anyone in the peanut gallery can say that about any product out there.

Objective facts point to Windows as one of the LEAST broken software products ever created!

Being about 90 times more popular on the desktop than Linux, and being disproportionally more attractive to noobs, and not being able to distribute all software through trusted repositories for legal reasons, and running on more homogeneous types of CPU's, and attracting the wrath of communist hackers for political reasons, Windows gets about 10,000 times more attention from virus / trojan / malware / adware writers than Linux!  In spite of having to walk a legal tightrope for how many new features it can include without being sued, as well as the need to maintain usability and noob-friendliness, Microsoft has done a pretty good job making their OS'es secure.

The overwhelmingly dominant reason why people beat up on Microsoft is their hatred of capitalism, and some people who should know better mindlessly imitate that popular behavior because they think it makes them look "cool" (i.e. more independent and technologically sophisticated).  Reality is often in reverse!  All of the best programmers I know still use Windows in some capacity, while many wannabe's I know install Linux and get an inferior desktop experience, but pretend to like it because they think no one notices that the king is naked but them!

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 09, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

Um, no Windows isn't the least broken OSes on the planet. In fact, no OS is least broken, they're broken in different ways. Windows is broken on vital security points, which is why Windows Server series has never beaten the *nixes on the server market, and probably never will. Linux is broken from a consumer desktop perspective because there's too many cooks in the kitchen deciding what desktop concepts stay, go, and get modified. It's hard to unlearn Gnome when you're forced to play with KDE4 at work and vice versa. Windows is broken from a hardware perspective because many basic integrated motherboard types are often not supported, and even if they're supported the additional features (such as what you get with AC97) have to be setup with vendor drivers to be accessible. Linux from a software perspective is broken in key points of standards between frameworks, whether it's boost for C++ or GObject, some folks never fucking get the agreements between these right (especially if we're talking about bindings between languages). And so on.

At the end of the day, it's not a matter of FOSS folks being against capitalism as many are in the business of support and development of their products. It's about Microsoft wanting to tell what other firms should do and how to do it. This is more the case under Ballmer than it was under Gates as at least Gates knew better than to dick with others agendas (when he had his own to attend). It's not a matter of Microsoft's success that ever irks me it's the ideologues that speak for it that get me riled up, and oddly much in the same fashion as I've been riled up by RMS and other Free Software Foundation dillweeds (and for the same reasons). Let us developers do our thing: develop software. I don't care who's 'king' of the desktop so long as I have the freedom to choose what platform, what framework, and what customer(s) to service. Company of origin be damned!
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

blackie

« Reply #350 on: November 09, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »

Windows Server series has never beaten the *nixes on the server market, and probably never will.
I guess it depends what you are counting...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/28/idc_q12009_server_nums/
In terms of operating system breakdown, IDC reckons that the Windows platform held its lead, with $3.7bn in sales, down 28.9 per cent. Unix server sales accounted for $3.3bn in Q1 2009, falling only 17.5 per cent, and Linux server sales hitting $1.4bn, dropping 24.8 per cent.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 09, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »

In terms of adoption, Linux servers are more or less replacing legacy Unix deployments, so until I see a trend away from Unix derived systems (that include BSD brews) I doubt Microsoft will ever depend on Windows Server as their meat and potatoes revenue.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 09, 2009, 12:38:17 PM »

In terms of adoption, Linux servers are more or less replacing legacy Unix deployments, so until I see a trend away from Unix derived systems (that include BSD brews) I doubt Microsoft will ever depend on Windows Server as their meat and potatoes revenue.
No, but they are still obviously making money with it.  My dad uses it in his office with great success.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 09, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »

No, but they are still obviously making money with it.  My dad uses it in his office with great success.

True, but you'll never see the likes of CCP running Eve Online on a cluster of Windows Servers. Large deployments require operating systems that can handle dynamic changes in their hardware environment like Linux, Solaris, and other HPC compliant OSes.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 09, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »

No, but they are still obviously making money with it.  My dad uses it in his office with great success.

True, but you'll never see the likes of CCP running Eve Online on a cluster of Windows Servers. Large deployments require operating systems that can handle dynamic changes in their hardware environment like Linux, Solaris, and other HPC compliant OSes.
I agree.  EVE is a great game too btw, I used to be a semi-addict.

From what I understand however, Windows Server does allow for dynamic changes, although I'm not entirely certain as that's not near my specialty.  I focus on desktop type stuff, including simple desktop servers.  Nothing too complicated though.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 09, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »

Basically, Windows Server is a general purpose server OS, not something you'd use for HPC clusters. There is a special version of Windows Server that can be used in HPC clusters, but it's prohibitively expensive even compared to a Solaris license (which is a bitch on restricts, especially threads you can run), BSD, or Linux.

blackie

« Reply #356 on: November 09, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »

I doubt Microsoft will ever depend on Windows Server as their meat and potatoes revenue.
It already is.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10294232-56.html

blackie

« Reply #357 on: November 09, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »

Basically, Windows Server is a general purpose server OS, not something you'd use for HPC clusters.
Most server are not used for HPC clusters.

Lots of enterprise businesses use Windows Server for things like Active Directory and Exchange.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Linux is just fine.
« Reply #358 on: November 09, 2009, 01:16:54 PM »

The overwhelmingly dominant reason why people beat up on Microsoft is their hatred of capitalism

You might be interested in the difference between "capitalism" and "merchantilism". That way you won't go throwing economics terms around while obviously not understanding them.

The overwhelming reason that people beat up on Microsoft is because Microsoft are arrogant bullies. Just like the United States government.

Nobody hates Microsoft for Microsoft's "freedom".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:45:20 PM by BobRobertson »
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Lukey

« Reply #359 on: November 09, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »

Look let me be honest I used to use windows for years all the time it would slow down and grind to a halt about every 6 months to a year sometimes even less and I always needed to mess around with it.
I got the Linux desktop made a small learning curve got a compatible graphics card and have never looked back, the upgrades are just a bonus and don't need to be installed, and all the software I could ever want and for free, and as a added bonus it never slows and is always the same as the day I installed it. and thats why I stick up for it, for me it has stopped a lot of stress that I had with windows.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 31 queries.