Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!  (Read 147388 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!
« Reply #300 on: October 24, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »

I keep OS + Programs on a separate partition from the rest of the data, and I backup that partition daily.  If it gets un-cracked, I'll restore it, immediately disable updates, and wait for an updated crack to appear on BitTorrent - or ask some of my friends, they might have that crack a day before BT sites get it right.

Good call, just too much work for me.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

blackie

« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

I bought a $350 disposable Acer laptop with Windows 7. I think that is the only way I will be buying it, bundled with new hardware.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Linux works just fine.
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »

What I mean is, all the little tweaks that must be performed when you have conflicts.  That seems to be the thing I see the most:  "I had to blabedy-blah the such-n-such to get it to recognize [whatever]"  

True, to a lesser extent all the time. I've had the same experience with MS-Win, chasing down drivers and making registry edits. I don't think any system can support everything just the way you want it without going through some effort.

I plug in my camera, it reads the card.  I plug in my printer, it says Hello Printer!  I haven't installed a driver in a long time.  Everything reads, everything works.

That's how Linux works for me. I didn't install any drivers for the three cameras I plugged in this morning (vacation trip yesterday, lots of pictures) and pulled the pictures from. My printer worked first time, etc.

I did have to tell the printing subsystem what printer it was, and name it for the network printing service. That's not what I would call a difficult install.

This may seem lazy, but I don't even have to read the stuff carefully on the box if I buy hardware or software.  I buy what I need, what I like best.  I don't have to wonder if it'll work, or fuck with it to get it working.  Even if I went beyond what I'm comfortable with, like buying a new hard drive or video card, I'm fairly sure I could just buy a good one and pop the fucker in.  (I'd read some forums first, of course, in case there was some tricky trick)

And that's what I do, too. With pretty much the same level of "checking", that is reading some forums and doing a google-search in case there is some trick needed.

However, you do check to see if it's Win, Mac, any of numerous game consoles, hardware minimums, etc. I've always wondered why compatibility checking before buying is no big deal to the point of not mentioning it if it's between all those different systems, but add Linux to the mix and suddenly it's a huge effort.

The pre-packaged software for Linux that I've gotten has all "just worked" too. Sadly, most of the kids games that I have that worked just fine up through Win2K are now failing to run on XP, Vista and Win7. And not esoteric games either, Disney Interactive, Thomas the Tank Engine, things like that.

I agree that bleeding-edge hardware might not be supported, but let's also stipulate that many hardware makers don't take any time to do anything but write Windows drivers. A friend of mine tried to use Win2K back when WinXP was all the rage, and I don't think he was ever able to find all the drivers for his hardware to work 100% under Win2K. So he found himself in the same position as some Linux users, with hardware from OEMs that didn't care to support his OS of choice.

The reverse is also true, however. Once hardware is supported in Linux, it remains supported. While many Windows users upgrade the OS and find themselves with hardware that no longer works or is no longer fast enough to do what it did before, once something works under Linux it keeps on working as the kernel evolves.

I understand and respect the fact there is a hobbyist aspect to geeking, like Furb so eloquently stated.

That's what I see in Windows and Mac fan-boys, too. I think it's a geek thing, not a Linux thing. Of course there are Windows geeks, there are as many deep wells of tricks and tweaks in Windows as there are in Linux or any other OS.

OSs are complex systems.

Now, get ready for a laugh.  In my little universe, I'm the resident geek.  Parents, kids, friends, I'm the one they come to when their stuff is fucked up.  I can usually get it goin', and if it wasn't for M$, I'd never be able to help them if everyone was running a different OS.

I should have read ahead and used this as my example of Windows geeks. I, also, spend almost all of my family/friends support time getting Windows working for them. I know enough to make things work pretty well, but I'd never call myself an expert.

The few I've converted to Linux don't ask for support. They just work.

They used to pull that shit at work, custom device bullshit which they'd have to configure, conflicts out the ass.  Probly why I'm so resistant to stuff like that.  I like simplicity, having been trapped and tortured out of workplace necessity, having to stick with it, and put up with crap.  Calling out techs at 2am to fix their own mistakes.  Fucking around in little dossy dialogue boxes with improperly trained support fucks over the phone who had no clue what they were actually doing.  That shit is torture.  

One of the benefits of free software is that code is vetted by more than one person on an ongoing basis. This makes for very stable code.

Microsoft is a godsend, as far as I'm concerned.  If it wasn't for them, there'd be another widely utilized "industry standard" OS, I'm sure.  And I'd use that.

Of course there would, for all the good reasons of common experience and common formats. All the reasons that Win95 took the world by storm. I used Win95, too.

My beef isn't with "free software", it's with fanatical devotion to clearly inferior technologies just because they're "free", and the violence inherent in copyleft licensing.

They're not inferior, AL, just because you don't perfer them.

And as for the violence inherent in copyleft, how about the fact that you're under dire violent threat for stealing your Win7?

Somehow copyright is violent if it is used to enforce a software license you don't like, but copyright is magically not violent when it is used to enforce a software license you publicly violate and urge others to violate on a program you like?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:03:42 PM by BobRobertson »
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »

I got Windows 7 on my computer now and it works great.  Linux sucks.  It is nothing but hours and hours of headache. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »

From Slashdot -- Microsoft Opening Outlook's PST Format --

Microsoft Interoperability is working towards opening up Outlook's .pst format under their Open Specification Promise.  This should "allow anyone to implement the .pst file format on any platform and in any tool, without concerns about patents, and without the need to contact Microsoft in any way."

"In order to facilitate interoperability and enable customers and vendors to access the data in .pst files on a variety of platforms, we will be releasing documentation for the .pst file format. This will allow developers to read, create, and interoperate with the data in .pst files in server and client scenarios using the programming language and platform of their choice. The technical documentation will detail how the data is stored, along with guidance for accessing that data from other software applications. It also will highlight the structure of the .pst file, provide details like how to navigate the folder hierarchy, and explain how to access the individual data objects and properties.

Another small step in the right direction.

The "Personal Storage Table" file format is also used with Windows Messaging and Exchange Client.  It was already possible to convert PST files to some degree via libpst.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:56:10 PM by Alex Libman »

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »

Somehow copyright is violent if it is used to enforce a software license you don't like, but copyright is magically not violent when it is used to enforce a software license you publicly violate and urge others to violate on a program you like?
I say this as a BSD user in the kindest and least condescendingly arrogant of ways, but GPL is a contradictory ambiguous clusterfuck, popular not for reasons of technical or legal superiority but merely due to it being an accepted default (like Windows), deliberately incompatible with other licenses not blessed by that idiot RMS, it's a poorly-thought-out attempt to work within a fundamentally wrong system to subvert it (a mistake libertarians everywhere keep making).

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »

I say this as a BSD user in the kindest and least condescendingly arrogant of ways, but GPL is a contradictory ambiguous clusterfuck...

I'm just trying to point out the hypocrisy inherent in A.L.'s Microsoft Astroturfers Handbook.

I don't disagree with your position on the GPL, since it's your position and you're welcome to it.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #307 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »

From Slashdot -- uTorrent To Build In Transfer-Throttling Ability --

TorrentFreak reports that a redesign of the popular BitTorrent client uTorrent allows clients to detect network congestion and automatically adjust the transfer rates, eliminating the interference with other Internet-enabled applications' traffic.

In theory, the protocol senses congestion based on the time it takes for a packet to reach its destination, and by intelligent adjustments, should reduce network traffic without causing a major impact on download speeds and times.  As said by Simon Morris (from TFA), "The throttling that matters most is actually not so much the download but rather the upload - as bandwidth is normally much lower UP than DOWN, the up-link will almost always get congested before the down-link does."  Furthermore, the revision is designed to eliminate the need for ISP's to deal with problems caused by excessive BitTorrent traffic on their networks, thereby saving them money and support costs.  Apparently, the v2.0b client using this protocol is already being used widely, and no major problems have been reported.

It's quality software like μTorrent that makes Windows desktop unbeatable.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:10:01 PM by Alex Libman »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 02, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »

utorrent is and always has been the best torrent software out there.  Too bad they never ported it to mac   :?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »

Deluge is good.  8)
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #310 on: November 03, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »

Deluge is something any Python script kiddy could write with libtorrent and PyGTK.  It's even slower than Azureus / Vuze, but has far fewer features!  KTorrent is better, but not by much.  μTorrent is so fast and light it just boggles my mind!

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 03, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »

Yet it works fine under most environments and isn't that bloated (save for the Windows version, blame the fags behind GTK for that one).
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #312 on: November 04, 2009, 05:31:31 AM »

I'd rather blame them for their copyleft license, which restricts so many possibilities...

Lukey

« Reply #313 on: November 04, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »

You have got to be joking Linix Rocks! it never breaks, its free, it has more features, it has no built in spyware, its easy to set up, the internet runs on it, its secure, there are many-many different types -- you would not have a lot of electronic devices without it -- . Maybe you never made the small learning curve or had the wrong type of linux, try linux mint if you cant use that then you should rap youself in the microsoft blanket and and continue dishing out piles of money for you virus infected broken before you start software : )

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #314 on: November 04, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »

I have many years of Linux experience as a developer, and I know its kernel like the back of my hand, so believe me - it's not the learning curve.  But if the Linux ports of the Nvidia / ATI drivers suck on my computers, then there's nothing one can do.

I never had any virus do me any damage in my 17+ years of hands-on computing, and I never had any problems with Windows from 2000 onwards.  Ran some very complicated server deployments without reboot for months.  Sure, Linux is better on servers and embedded devices, but this thread is purely about the desktop experience.  Sure, Linux is free, but in any real-world situation the cost of Microsoft licensing pales in comparison to the benefits of running their products.

Linux just won't run Office 2010, Visual Studio 2010, and other best-of-the-breed software, much less games.  Even Firefox runs better on Windows!  And any Linux program can run on Windows just fine - either directly, through Cygwin / Interix / CoLinux, or from a remote / VM UNIX box via an X server.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Linux Sucks. Java sucks. I'm a Microsoft guy again!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.