Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Laugh? Cry? I dunno. Bill to ban salt in restaraunts in NY.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laugh? Cry? I dunno. Bill to ban salt in restaraunts in NY.  (Read 3764 times)

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: Laugh? Cry? I dunno. Bill to ban salt in restaraunts in NY.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:10:08 PM »

Did I read you right?

You rather have the government directly intrude into your life than the lives of others? Government healthcare would affect you more than a war in a foreign country.

Every government already directly intrudes on the life of its citizens by its very existence.   If I'm going to have money taken from me against my will, then I'd rather have it spent on my own healthcare than on controlling the inhabitants of an entirely different country.

Riddler

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »

Did I read you right?

You rather have the government directly intrude into your life than the lives of others? Government healthcare would affect you more than a war in a foreign country.

Every government already directly intrudes on the life of its citizens by its very existence.   If I'm going to have money taken from me against my will, then I'd rather have it spent on my own healthcare than on controlling the inhabitants of an entirely different country.

where do you want it to stop?
cigarettes, or alcohol, real butter, salt, sugary treats, or swearing in front of your kids in your home?
foot-in-the-door, bitch.....foot-in-the-door...

ForumTroll

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »

Did I read you right?

Except they're gonna do both. There is no choice.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »

Did I read you right?

Oh, I know.   But is it really so bizarre to say that you'd rather have government do some things than others?  If some guy is going to accost me in an alley and take my wallet, am I allowed to prefer that he use the money to buy me a Diet Coke rather than somebody else?  Or worse, spend it on bullets to shoot that person in the ass?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »

Did I read you right?

Every government already directly intrudes on the life of its citizens by its very existence.   If I'm going to have money taken from me against my will, then I'd rather have it spent on my own healthcare than on controlling the inhabitants of an entirely different country.

Oh, I know.   But is it really so bizarre to say that you'd rather have government do some things than others?  If some guy is going to accost me in an alley and take my wallet, am I allowed to prefer that he use the money to buy me a Diet Coke rather than somebody else?  Or worse, spend it on bullets to shoot that person in the ass?

Freedom people have issues delineating degrees of evil. It's all evil, and it all sucks, or as Bitchy Old Rand put it: "In any compromise between food and poison, only death wins."

Not disagreeing with your sentiment, just pointing out that yeah, in this crowd, your opinion might be looked at as bizarre.

Of course, I'd never answer the question with anything other than "I don't agree with anything the gooberment does, and if forced to make a choice, I'd refuse to because that would give them a feeling of legitimacy."

But you know me, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:33 AM »

Did I read you right?

I see your point.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

NotYourSlave

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »

That's the single biggest argument against socialized healthcare-- when individual health is a social responsibility, then society has an interest in forcing individuals to be "healthy," whether they want to be or not.  

I'd rather have government healthcare than occupy Iraq, or maintain a ridiculous war on recreational drugs, but.....that's the bottom line, and I don't know any way to avoid it. 

Did I read you right?

You believe its okay to intrude on sovereign governments?  If so, my first vote goes toward crafting Israeli diplomatic relations with its neighbors. 

No, but if its between tyranny here or there I vote for there.

Tyranny over there is much less moral, though.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Laugh? Cry? I dunno. Bill to ban salt in restaraunts in NY.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.