Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468083 times)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #1770 on: August 10, 2011, 12:53:09 AM »

I so want to see it in theaters (as opposed to online like usual) but nobody here seems to have any interest in going with me.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1771 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:49 PM »

Saw Planet of the Apes.       Awesome. Epic.   Very much glad I saw it in theaters. Also, if you've seen the original, there are so many homages to it I'm sure I missed some, but they werent distracting. Absolutely a good standalone film, doesnt need any of the other films.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1772 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »

The Good, The Bad, and the Weird.     Like the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, only better.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 16, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »

I'ma sit in the back row during a weekday matinee after it's been out a while for Captain America so I can fap to Chris Evans' waxed chest, all glistening with fresh sweat...

Don't Pee-Wee Herman on us Dale.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 20, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »

In the last two weeks...
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Canterville Ghost*
Arsenic & Old Lace*
Burke & Hare

Enjoyed all of them, but the best movie of bunch was my old favorite with Cary Grant, followed by Canterville Ghost.

*We're subjecting the kids to old movies. They usually complain for the first 10 minutes, then get over the "but it's not even in color" and start to enjoy themselves.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #1775 on: August 20, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »

Arsenic & Old Lace

We watched it a few weeks ago. (Again - We watch it a couple times a year.) Inspired the name of our new kitty. (Mortimer Brewster Shaw)
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #1776 on: August 20, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »

Oh, and last movie watched was Hobo With a Shotgun, which was hilarious.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #1777 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »

Martyrs is... fucked... up

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1778 on: August 21, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »

Oh, and last movie watched was Hobo With a Shotgun, which was hilarious.

Yes it was. They need to do a sequel with the two armored dudes. They stole the show.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 21, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »

Enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes. 

I'm a huge PotA fan, and it surprised me how different the movie was.  I knew it wouldn't be the same story, but it pretty much totally doesn't fit into the PotA universe, as far as storyline.  That's okay, but it's not what I expected.  I counted eight homages to the original series.  A couple of them were iffy.  The most obvious were a couple direct quotes and a few names (one which wasn't exactly the same.)  Watched it twice, back-to-back, and picked the eighth up that the second time.  I'll avoid spoilers, so I won't say much about it, but the ending was an interesting twist, however passe and unbelievably ironic--can't explain, though.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1780 on: August 22, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »

I'm a huge PotA fan, and it surprised me how different the movie was.  I knew it wouldn't be the same story, but it pretty much totally doesn't fit into the PotA universe, as far as storyline.  That's okay, but it's not what I expected.  I counted eight homages to the original series.  A couple of them were iffy.  The most obvious were a couple direct quotes and a few names (one which wasn't exactly the same.)  Watched it twice, back-to-back, and picked the eighth up that the second time.  I'll avoid spoilers, so I won't say much about it, but the ending was an interesting twist, however passe and unbelievably ironic--can't explain, though.

In what way doesnt it fit into the original universe? I saw the first two original movies, and it fit just fine with those IIRC. Now the other one where the apes actually rise up I dont think it probably matched perfect. They had to change to fit the times, we are more afraid of viruses and such these days.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »

I'm a huge PotA fan, and it surprised me how different the movie was.  I knew it wouldn't be the same story, but it pretty much totally doesn't fit into the PotA universe, as far as storyline.  That's okay, but it's not what I expected.  I counted eight homages to the original series.  A couple of them were iffy.  The most obvious were a couple direct quotes and a few names (one which wasn't exactly the same.)  Watched it twice, back-to-back, and picked the eighth up that the second time.  I'll avoid spoilers, so I won't say much about it, but the ending was an interesting twist, however passe and unbelievably ironic--can't explain, though.

In what way doesnt it fit into the original universe? I saw the first two original movies, and it fit just fine with those IIRC. Now the other one where the apes actually rise up I dont think it probably matched perfect. They had to change to fit the times, we are more afraid of viruses and such these days.

First off, there was yet another movie after the movie this one more or less completely rewrites.  It would be fully orphaned by this story.  Secondly, however, the first three in the series are also chronologically after it too.

In the original universe, most humans were wiped out by atomic war (assumption stated in the first, and heavily reinforced in the second), and pets were wiped out by a virus (stated in Conquest, AND Battle, if I recall correctly.)  There are no pets in the original canon (with the possible exception of Escape, which would make sense, but I don't recall any), and the surviving humans are mutants.  Surviving ape and humankind seem centered around New York in the original...Muir woods is pretty far from that.  Clearly, in the original series, the talking apes came from the future, not from some science program.

They've rewritten the story.  Again, that's fine, but it's not consistent with the original universe, for those who expected it to be.  

FWIW, I'm still trying not to spoil it.  Oh, and they didn't "have to change it to fit the times."  There are still plenty of nuclear warheads to fully scorch the earth's surface, and politicians stupid enough to order them used.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1782 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:04 PM »

I'm a huge PotA fan, and it surprised me how different the movie was.  I knew it wouldn't be the same story, but it pretty much totally doesn't fit into the PotA universe, as far as storyline.  That's okay, but it's not what I expected.  I counted eight homages to the original series.  A couple of them were iffy.  The most obvious were a couple direct quotes and a few names (one which wasn't exactly the same.)  Watched it twice, back-to-back, and picked the eighth up that the second time.  I'll avoid spoilers, so I won't say much about it, but the ending was an interesting twist, however passe and unbelievably ironic--can't explain, though.

First off, there was yet another movie after the movie this one more or less completely rewrites.  It would be fully orphaned by this story.  Secondly, however, the first three in the series are also chronologically after it too.

In the original universe, most humans were wiped out by atomic war (assumption stated in the first, and heavily reinforced in the second), and pets were wiped out by a virus (stated in Conquest, AND Battle, if I recall correctly.)  There are no pets in the original canon (with the possible exception of Escape, which would make sense, but I don't recall any), and the surviving humans are mutants.  Surviving ape and humankind seem centered around New York in the original...Muir woods is pretty far from that.  Clearly, in the original series, the talking apes came from the future, not from some science program.

They've rewritten the story.  Again, that's fine, but it's not consistent with the original universe, for those who expected it to be.  

FWIW, I'm still trying not to spoil it.  Oh, and they didn't "have to change it to fit the times."  There are still plenty of nuclear warheads to fully scorch the earth's surface, and politicians stupid enough to order them used.

Guess I need to go back and watch the movies of old that I havent seen yet.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 24, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »

Priest.

It was a little cheesy and predictable, but since I went into it with very low expectations, I had a lot of fun watching it.

Paying comcast $5 for it instead of $10/person probably helped my satisfaction with the movie, as did having good old-fashioned evil vampires. There have been far too many 'vampires in love' stories out there lately, IMO.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 24, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »

Just saw Duck Soup with a few friends.

Its a Marx brothers flick that has no discernible plot, a few musical numbers in it, and stuff. It wasn't their best work, but still funny.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.