Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468605 times)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #1500 on: January 05, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »

"Moon." Better than average sci-fi, and better than I expected. This one totally fell through the cracks, I think.

Moon was definitely worth it.  

Made for $5M (not a typo), it played like it was made for $100M.  It was an indy film apparently bankrolled by the producer's dad, David Bowie, and by Sting.  Not only did they get 10x the money out of the effects, but they brought a great phildickian story to the screen.

The "special features" on the disc, including the commentary by the producer and director, and the commentary by the crew, describe the challenges of making a contemporary science fiction film on $5M.  A big part of this is to develop a script around a great, heady SF story and make the bulk of your effects incidental to telling the story, while making the rest of the effects with CGI-enhanced models, instead of full-on CGI.

The Heavy was worth the watch, including an ending I guessed, but including bits and pieces that were clever.  Acting was so-so, and I hated the cinematography.  It relied on a clever story, which seemed haunted by some flubs.

Saw "Moon" last week. It was a very good sci-fi. Reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey but with actual plot. It kept me guessing about whether the robot was a good guy or bad, and I was happy with the results.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »

Moon was definitely worth it. 

well worth it!

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: January 05, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »

Knight and Day

Didn't expect to enjoy it, but did.  It was so playfully ridiculous that it was entertaining.  Tom Cruise was actually decent, too.  The DTS HD sound was good, and the score was great.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »

Last "new" movies:
Robin Hood: I liked it, a lot.
9: animated Tim Burton movie=crap

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

BKO

• FTL unAMPlifier Aluminum
  • Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 06, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »

Tomorrow When The War Began: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhErNyiq8

Not bad. I love Aussie chicks.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 06, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »

Tomorrow When The War Began: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhErNyiq8

Not bad. I love Aussie chicks.

Looks good, like an Aussie Red Dawn.  Quite available on torrentz.com too.

I just watched Turistas last, pretty much what you'd expect.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 06, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »

Moscow on the Hudson

In 1984, a triumph.  In 2011, a tragedy.  What a difference 25 years makes!

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 06, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »

Saw Raging Bull tonight. It was a good film. Didn't really have a protagonist. Just a tagonist instead. I am convinced now that Joe Peschi doesn't act, but just plays himself, as he has built a career of being an Italian guy. I was a bit disappointed by the film, because I expected more from it, but the overhype killed it. The scene shots were fantastic, as was the acting, and all. Just overhyped is all I'm saying.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: January 07, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »

Finally got around to seeing Macross Frontier: The False Diva. Eh, a tad more coherent than the 25 eps. anime but its got some totally FUCKED UP moments like when Ranka get some supposed ass-smelling beans thrown on her face. Nothing like showing a young woman with a face full of what looks like alien jizz to whet the appetites of mecha fanboys everywhere.

"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 07, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »

Saw Raging Bull tonight. It was a good film. Didn't really have a protagonist. Just a tagonist instead. I am convinced now that Joe Peschi doesn't act, but just plays himself, as he has built a career of being an Italian guy. I was a bit disappointed by the film, because I expected more from it, but the overhype killed it. The scene shots were fantastic, as was the acting, and all. Just overhyped is all I'm saying.

Watching it a couple years ago for the first time, I had the same opinion about the hype.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 07, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »

Speaking of hype..

I've caught a cold (which reminds me of which thread to bump) and so I tried to watch Netflix a couple of nights now. Two movies, both rated 4 and a half stars on Netflix:

I'd heard so much good stuff about The Big Lebowski that I tried that one. Made it almost half way before realizing that I'd been waiting for the movie to really "begin".

Everyone seems to love Boondock Saints too. Another crap movie totally overrated. Made it about 45 minutes in and turned it off. Even Ron Jeremy couldn't save that one.

Turned off both of those and went back to a book both nights.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 07, 2011, 11:15:37 PM »

Speaking of hype..

I've caught a cold (which reminds me of which thread to bump) and so I tried to watch Netflix a couple of nights now. Two movies, both rated 4 and a half stars on Netflix:

I'd heard so much good stuff about The Big Lebowski that I tried that one. Made it almost half way before realizing that I'd been waiting for the movie to really "begin".

Everyone seems to love Boondock Saints too. Another crap movie totally overrated. Made it about 45 minutes in and turned it off. Even Ron Jeremy couldn't save that one.

Turned off both of those and went back to a book both nights.

Try Inception.  Best I've seen in a while...or Moon if you haven't seen it yet.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: January 08, 2011, 02:09:31 AM »

The Social Network

Intellectual fucking property--it's why we can't have anything nice. :x

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1513 on: January 08, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »

You know who's a dick?  Robert De Niro.

BKO

• FTL unAMPlifier Aluminum
  • Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 08, 2011, 03:29:50 AM »

GATTACA
It wasn't a terrible movie, but I don't find myself watching it again for quite a while.

Hellbilly: The movie "Boondock Saints" isn't for everyone. It's about vigilantism and the fight against corruption which is one of the reasons why our country blows ass chunks. Even though my opinion of the flick is the exact polar opposite from your own, I have a minute trace of respect for the timid and weak spirits who prefer Disney animation over destruction and action.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.