Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 470559 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #1320 on: August 05, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »

Saw "Inception" last night. Beautiful movie, was completely caught up in the surreal aspects of dream world. Enjoyed the story. Liked the ending.

Oh. And Joseph Gordon Levitt was amazing in the topsy-turvy weightless scenes. If I'd seen that in IMAX, I'd have been queasy as hell.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 05, 2010, 05:01:36 PM »

Little Chenier

Beauxregard 'Beaux' Dupuis (Johnathon Schaech) lives a simple, idyllic life in the Louisiana bayou with his mentally challenged younger brother, Pemon (Frederick Koehler) on a small stretch of land called Little Chenier. They live a good life until Pemon is accused of a crime and Beaux resolves to protect him at all costs.

"I'm gonna get me some good fornicatin' tonight!" - Pemon

A few bits of clumsy acting, but this is really good. Familiar plot of bad cop with a grudge harassing a noble dude, but it's done well. Also interesting that the area where this was filmed was wiped out by hurricane Rita after the filming.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 08, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »

Eyeborgs.  A B+ movie about a dystopian future where cameras have taken over the US.  I was expecting a terrible movie and it ended up being better than that.  Definitely not gonna win the academy awards though.  Check it out, some is good for a laugh, and some is more serious.  I think the protagonist is played by that guy who used to play Highlander.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 08, 2010, 04:25:43 PM »

Pleasantville.  

Meh.  After all the raving, I was a bit disappointed.  

There was clearly a "libertine" message, which I actually appreciate, and an overt racism connotation, which seemed oddly out of place, but it was hard to suspend disbelief that people would be that stupid (as opposed to ignorant.)  To a point, they had to dehumanize the characters into what they actually were, cardboard TV constructions, to make it "realistic" (in context of magic, of course.)  They had to humanize the characters, but draw the line somewhere in how human they were (like the fry cook, who knew there were needs to act differently, but rather than acting, fretted.)

There were also huge problems with the idea of the story that they had to work around, anyway.  For example, the "colored" woman puts on make up which is still grayscale (and what about her clothes?), to cover her color, yet when other women turn "colored," they have colored makeup, clothes, etc.  The characters also knew of colors, and even knew what they were, to the point they dwelled on whether they were "real" colors.  

As for more oddities about what they cardboard characters knew and didn't, the "parents" didn't know about sex.  Some knew about rain, but other didn't.  The whole library and books thing was similarly disjointed, and I suspect the reason for bringing it into the story was to have book burnings toward the end.  Yes, it's just a movie, but "little" things like that were distracting--as I said, it was an obvious challenge for a screen play.

Its best moments were the typical overreactions of the characters to change, some when it impacted them, and others when they just didn't like seeing it.  The message of tolerating and even learning to enjoy change is important, because change is a guaranteed experience in real life.  There were also interesting parallels between the characters' experiences and various myths and legends, such as the obvious reference to the main character eating an apple that the girl offered him, in the lush wooded area, and the "TV repairman" referring to it as though it were a sin.

For what it's worth, it seems Ian claimed all the "action" was happening in the town square.  All the "action" happened at Lovers' Lane.

I'd give it a B- overall, and most of that was for the attempt at a libertine message (resisting the absurd notion that society will crumble if some people enjoy themselves in ways others would not.)  The rest of the credit goes for the obvious technical and logical problems of making it into a screenplay.  Otherwise, I'd give it a D+ (thus, I suspect people who don't respect the message or the craft would give it a similar grade.)

Addendum
Added the grading points.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:28:02 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #1324 on: August 08, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »

Yesterday, I saw the Imax film "Wildest Dream: the Conquest of Everest," about George Mallory's failed 1924 attempt to be the first to climb Everest. I had to see it, having just finished reading Jeffrey Archer's excellent book, Paths of Glory, is based on Mallory's life. The film is well worth the ticket price.

I am amazed that Mallory (who I'd never heard of) isn't a household name. (Actually, his famous quote about why to climb Everest--"Because it's there"--is more famous than he is.)
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

yamnuska

« Reply #1325 on: August 10, 2010, 12:50:50 AM »

SALT - blah

Black Hawk Down - sorry, but as a Canadian I cheered sometimes when I shouldn't have, whoops.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 10, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »

Saw Dinner for Schmucks and felt very dirty about it. I am embarassed to admit that I laughed at a lot of the jokes.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 10, 2010, 11:26:02 AM »

Man on the Moon - Film about Andy Kaufman

Confirmed my suspicion that he had very little going for him besides, well, pretty much what Jim Carrey has going for him, except Carrey is willing to use the talents he does have (see him in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, for example--turns out he can act.)

Kaufman is portrayed as a somewhat sadistic character actor, who used his character to "prank" his audience in ways few people usually found funny.  Hence, his only real success was "Latka" on "Taxi," which he only took because he was promised a comedy special as part of his compensation.  From the story, it is apparent that his special was taped but never aired, because it was considered unfit for airing.  He had some brief "success" lampooning wrestling by challenging women and pretending to take a "challenge match" from Jerry Lawler and have a running feud with him.  He eventually burned all his bridges, and probably would have died miserable, if not for getting cancer, providing him a last chance to get attention.

The movie essentially took the form of a tragedy, ending with even his terminal cancer initially thought to be a prank, and in the end, played as a prank, though fatal.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1328 on: August 11, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »

http://www.novamov.com/video/e3f847227e0a1

Watching "Funny People" now because I've been having a lousy couple a days. :(
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 11, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »

District 9. Again.

Such a fooking good movie.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 11, 2010, 07:48:20 PM »

District 9. Again.

Such a fooking good movie.

Has to be in my top five.  I don't see anything beating Blade Runner, Serenity and Stargate, so I guess that makes it #4 or #5.

ForumTroll

« Reply #1331 on: August 11, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »

District 9 is about Israel vs. the Palestinians. Discuss.

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 11, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »

but who is who? ...to clarify for discussion

ForumTroll

« Reply #1333 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »

but who is who? ...to clarify for discussion

Oh u.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 11, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »

District 9 is about Israel vs. the Palestinians. Discuss.

Fucking HAMAS with their energy weapons...
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.