Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468594 times)

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #1110 on: February 11, 2010, 05:51:50 AM »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 11, 2010, 06:01:03 AM »

That's actually a sick movie.  Zardoz rocks.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #1112 on: February 11, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »

That's actually a sick movie.  Zardoz rocks.

Yeah. They got Beethoven to write the music.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 12, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »

I made it though 1/2 of Zardoz last night. I found it amazingly intriguing. I am still a bit wierded out by Sean Connery's red diaper and killer boots though.

yamnuska

« Reply #1114 on: February 13, 2010, 03:35:07 AM »

i wonder if connery has a photo of him in that movie hanging on his wall, hahaha!

avatar - crap, stupid environmentalist movie, i hate that shit

the hurt locker - awesome

whip it - chick flick i was forced to watch although ellen page is very easy on the eyes.

district 9 - very funny, loved it when they went in to evict the aliens, laughed my ass off.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 13, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »

f00kin' prawns!
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 13, 2010, 11:06:40 AM »

Hmm, I saw it as a remarkable assertion and triumph of property rights.   :wink:

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 13, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »

Hmm, I saw it as a remarkable assertion and triumph of property rights.   :wink:

Rationalize much?
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 13, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »

Rationalize much?

Hmmm, let's see.  A bunch of people invade a planet in an attempt to take resources from that planet against the will of the planet's occupants.   First they try defrauding the occupants, but when that doesn't work they use outright force to destroy one of their most prized possessions.   Said occupants then proceed to beat the living hell out of the invaders and force them to leave. 

Yep, sounds like property rights to me. 

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #1119 on: February 13, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »

I agree on the property rights thing.

Still, it was a pretty hackneyed plot, well-worn from many previous incarnations. What sets the movie apart is the use of technology. That in itself isn't enough to make a move great, just interesting. And, I thought entertaining.

Avatar, fun. Best picture, alas, no.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 13, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »

Still, it was a pretty hackneyed plot, well-worn from many previous incarnations. What sets the movie apart is the use of technology. That in itself isn't enough to make a move great, just interesting. And, I thought entertaining.

Avatar, fun. Best picture, alas, no.

I have no opinion on "best picture," except that I don't consider lack of originality to be a problem at all.   West Side Story was Romeo and Juliet, The Lion King was Hamlet, etc. etc.  I actually enjoy seeing reiterations of common myths in different contexts.  

Besides the pure visual aspect and the supernaturally athletic blue people, what I enjoyed about Avatar was the idea of a natural system analogous to both a computer and a human brain at once.  How convenient that animals and trees have USB inputs/neurological synapses!  How did that work, evolutionarily, and what does it mean in terms of individual rights?  What is an individual, anyway, in a context like that?  Because it sure seems like Enwa, or Emwa, or whatever their goddess's name is, would count.  

Not keen on the whole "males choose a female mate, and they are bonded for life" bullshit, though.   Supposedly the Na'vi and his/her dragon are bonded for life, too, but that didn't stop Sully from cheating on his own dragon for a bigger, oranger one.  Apparently monogamy is one-sided in this society.....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:21:42 PM by Rillion »

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 13, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »

Rationalize much?

Hmmm, let's see.  A bunch of people invade a planet in an attempt to take resources from that planet against the will of the planet's occupants.   First they try defrauding the occupants, but when that doesn't work they use outright force to destroy one of their most prized possessions.   Said occupants then proceed to beat the living hell out of the invaders and force them to leave. 

Yep, sounds like property rights to me. 

Yet much of the film revolves on the subtext that technology is bad, m'kay? This shit is Ferngully in 3d, meh. I'm tempted to write up one of my weird ass stories in contrast to this (about colonization and empires). :-P

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 13, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »

Yet much of the film revolves on the subtext that technology is bad, m'kay?

You mean the technology that enabled a disabled guy to transfer himself to an able-bodied 10 foot tall basketball player and find love with his female equivalent?  Yeah, that was terrible.   :wink:

My friend and I had a talk afterward about what happened to any fat or near-sighted Na'vi, whether they ever got diseases, and how they were missing out on the internet.  But they seemed to be doing all right.   When you've got a USB goddess and a brain that plugs into dragons through your hair, I'm not sure you need Youtube. 

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 13, 2010, 05:48:38 PM »

i just watched pirate radio for the first time and i have to say it could possibly be NUMBER TWO on my ALLTIME favorites list.

But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »

Equilibrium was on Syfy today so I watched it.  It was basically a slightly modified 1984 plot and some cool fight scenes.  I thought it was pretty good.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 32 queries.