Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468604 times)

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #990 on: December 20, 2009, 06:32:19 AM »

Inglorious Bastards.

Not worth a ticket, gratuitously, pointlessly graphically bloody. Excellent acting, very unstable directing.
i enjoyed the gore...
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 20, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »

Avatar was great. Worth seeing in 3D.
Pocho

Bill Brasky

« Reply #992 on: December 21, 2009, 03:45:13 AM »

Inglorious Bastards.

Not worth a ticket, gratuitously, pointlessly graphically bloody. Excellent acting, very unstable directing.

Fuck off.

This.  Times a million.

It wasn't bloody.  It had blood, but it wasn't a gore-fest.  Coulda been a LOT bloodier.  It was reserved by Tarantino standards, he showed a great deal of restraint.  And the directing was excellent.  Good angles, good suspense, the proper pace for dialogue.  Subtleties, pause a beat to give dramatic impact.  It was just all around good.  Not fuckin great, but really really good.  

The sub-titles bugged me.  Coulda worked around that a little.  The Nazi Colonel was off the hook.  Pitt was interesting.  He's a quirky fucker, so I think he weirded it up on purpose to give his character some credibility.  If he went over the top like Southern Superman, it woulda wrecked it - and I'm certain thats how Quentin wrote it to begin with, he writes heros heroically.  

The face projected into the smoke was a brilliant touch.  And the Bowie tune! fuckin genius.  Breaking the period mystique.  Man, that was cool.  Not what I expected at all.  

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »

- and I'm certain thats how Quentin wrote it to begin with, he writes heros heroically.

Ah! Now it all makes sense.

I hadn't remembered that it was a Quentin Tarantino movie. Then my statements stands.

He is able to get exquisite performances out of the actors. Always has. And then wastes it. Or maybe it's just because I haven't watched the movies while stoned, I've been told that helps.

Tarantino would make a wonderful assistant director.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 21, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »

The Nazi Colonel was off the hook.  

I agree. He was my favorite part of the movie. So intelligent, polite, and refined, yet such an evil person.

It did bother me that the Jew 'Bastards' had such small parts though.
Pocho

Bill Brasky

« Reply #995 on: December 21, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »

The Nazi Colonel was off the hook.  

I agree. He was my favorite part of the movie. So intelligent, polite, and refined, yet such an evil person.

We haf a beengo!  *clapclapclap*

They must've been absolutely rolling  on the floor behind the camera. 

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »

It did bother me that the Jew 'Bastards' had such small parts though.

ROFL.  :lol: This sentence is freaking hilarious out of context. 
Pocho

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 21, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »

Yeah, that was my problem with the movie.  The Nazi Jew killer was the only character I cared about.  And not that you can't make a movie about a good Nazi, but this guy wasn't good.
That and the ridiculous violence.  I mean, I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs but this was just silly and defied ALL logic.

Russell Griswold

« Reply #998 on: December 21, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »

It sucked.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #999 on: December 22, 2009, 12:50:03 AM »

...but this was just silly and defied ALL logic.

The historical backdrop does tend to blow some peoples minds.  People like their improbable fiction cut and dried.  Sorcerers, superheros, giant apes, one-man vigilantes, monsters, The Force, slashers.  Thats all good. 

Interestingly, he did give a few subtle clues to remind people it was fiction...  Like, in the opening sequence, it said "Once upon a time..."  You know what else begins with those words?  Hmmm?  Fairy tales!!  Yes, you knew that.  How fuckin silly of me to point that out.  And the big yellow splash during the intro of a character.  He's saying "Hello, just a quicky reminder, okay...  THIS IS A MOVIE DIRECTED BY QUENTIN TARANTINO, okay...?  and now we're gonna pound a Nazi with a baseball bat, in my MOVIE, which is fictional... okayyy??"  (Note, you must say that with Quentin's voice in your head)

I can just imagine the delight he must've taken in filming a completely different end of history.  Nobody ever  had the balls to tackle that shit in bigtime Hollywood, and he raced past it like "oh, heres that part..."  and kept on going at a hundred miles per hour, like it was nothing.  Fucking brilliant.  I'll bet if you measured the number of frames, the scene I speak of was probably the shortest cut in the whole movie. 

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 23, 2009, 03:45:34 AM »

Well, perhaps I'm missing something, because the film was and is quite popular, even though I couldn't stand it.  I understand that it is 100% fictional, but the difference is most films, even Tarantino films, work within a framework of reality.  You set up a premise, (ie Star Wars--we are in the future and have developed space flight and discovered other life; the Matrix--every day life is really a dream for most people; even something as crazy as Kill Bill-most of the characters have incredible fighting skills and can perform some extreme and unrealistic fighting moves) and we accept that part of the fiction, but the rest of the movie follows basic plot rules.  Bill was predictably well protected from attack.  Han Solo's spaceship can break down.  When you are out of the matrix you are vulnerable.

But with Basterds, scene after scene was so incredibly unrealistic.  I think I would have enjoyed the movie if it didn't include the historical backdrop about Nazis and Hitler.  If it was just a story about group A sent out to kill group B.  Because the Nazis didn't behave like Nazis.  This could have easily been a Pulp Fiction like film where all the characters were just new characters and not pretending to be any historical event, and it would have been entertaining.  I saw this movie at the theater, and have forgotton many of my complaints, but to name a few, the shootout (including machine guns and grenades) of a room full of Nazis and Americans behind enemy lines in the basement club that didnt bring other troops even 10 minutes after the gunfire was over, the lack of any guards placed outside the movie theater when the Fuhrer and all top leadership was present, the complete ease with which the Basterds operated behind enemy lines without any fear or hardship, and other unrealism that just didn't jibe with WW2 really irked me.  That and the fact that the Americans and Nazis were both awful and there was no "good guy" at all in the film.  Now Valkyrie I did enjoy, and had some "good Nazis" or a guess good German military figures.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1001 on: December 23, 2009, 06:18:40 AM »

Well, perhaps I'm missing something, because the film was and is quite popular, even though I couldn't stand it.  I understand that it is 100% fictional, but the difference is most films, even Tarantino films, work within a framework of reality.  You set up a premise, (ie Star Wars--we are in the future and have developed space flight and discovered other life; the Matrix--every day life is really a dream for most people; even something as crazy as Kill Bill-most of the characters have incredible fighting skills and can perform some extreme and unrealistic fighting moves) and we accept that part of the fiction, but the rest of the movie follows basic plot rules.  Bill was predictably well protected from attack.  Han Solo's spaceship can break down.  When you are out of the matrix you are vulnerable.

But with Basterds, scene after scene was so incredibly unrealistic.  I think I would have enjoyed the movie if it didn't include the historical backdrop about Nazis and Hitler.  If it was just a story about group A sent out to kill group B.  Because the Nazis didn't behave like Nazis.  This could have easily been a Pulp Fiction like film where all the characters were just new characters and not pretending to be any historical event, and it would have been entertaining.  I saw this movie at the theater, and have forgotton many of my complaints, but to name a few, the shootout (including machine guns and grenades) of a room full of Nazis and Americans behind enemy lines in the basement club that didnt bring other troops even 10 minutes after the gunfire was over, the lack of any guards placed outside the movie theater when the Fuhrer and all top leadership was present, the complete ease with which the Basterds operated behind enemy lines without any fear or hardship, and other unrealism that just didn't jibe with WW2 really irked me.  That and the fact that the Americans and Nazis were both awful and there was no "good guy" at all in the film.  Now Valkyrie I did enjoy, and had some "good Nazis" or a guess good German military figures.

You raise a good point about the guards at the theater.  I noticed that right off, and it irked me too. 

The rest, not really so much.  The basement shootout, plausible.  Troops were spread pretty thin in occupied France.  Its fiction, I didn't mind some creative license with the travels and placement of a guerrilla troop.  Fact is, thats kinda how a guerrilla troop would work.  Clandestine, and pretty fuckin' ornery. 

It was a purposeful piece of the plot that there were no good guys.  Theres a pretty big statement, and the meaning of the title.  Dont'cha think its about time someone put that message on the screen?  Whats the one thing they always say about war?  The winner gets to write the history books, and paints itself as the good side.  War isn't glamorous or anything like that, its brutal.  Its a bunch of people killing each other. 

That was the reason for the movie within the movie, shown from the other side.  To show how sick and fucked up the opposite nation is when it roots for its side, cheering like a bunch of ugly retards at propagandized hero-worship shlock directed by Joseph Goebbels.  Quentin (I think) was saying "heres what you expected  to be watching"  but instead, the villains were watching it, and we watched the villains watching it.  Kinda fucked up.  And in Quentins movie, there was really no war at all.  There was gunfights, but no mechanized Private Ryan bombs-falling foxhole war.  Which to be honest, surprised me a little, until I saw where he was going with it. 

I don't mind saying, I'm not super-deep when it comes to movies.  I miss a LOT of shit, and I'm not what you'd call a film buff.  I know pretty much nothing about cinematography.  I'm a fan of certain people.  Tarantino is one of them, because he's quirky and he rubs my antenna the right way.  It just so happens, he makes movies.  And when he makes one, I try real hard to understand his message, because he's got some real interesting things to say. 

Another reason is the homage he pays to other films and directors, which seems to piss off the critics.  I like it, because its like an easter egg hunt, and it points me in some interesting directions to investigate films I'd never think of checking into.  He uses cool cameos, recycles actors from one film to the next.  Its just cool, to me, how shit pops up in his stuff.  Like in Hostel, which I think he executive produced (not directed) Pulp Fiction was playing on a television in the lobby when the tourists were checking in.  And in this Basterds, Harvey Keitel was the voice of the general on the radio, and Sam Jackson was the narrator.  With Quentin, there is always  an asterisk in the corner of the frame. 

I feel compelled to mention, I just finished watching Jackie Brown, cause I'm on a kick now....  I couldn't stop watching DeNiro.  Totally underrated performance by him in that.  He'd been in some of the most critically acclaimed performances of all time, by that stage of his career, and he stole every scene by frowning and nodding.  He was like a b-list shlub.  It was fuckin awesome. 

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:42 AM »

Jackie Brown is one of my all time favs.  I see what you are saying about the point Tarantino was trying to make about how everyone in war is evil, and you can certainly look at the characters and come to that conclusion, but the TONE of the movie didn't seem to say that at all.  And as I talked with my friends after the movie, it is not the opinion they got, they just enjoyed the bloody shootup and laughed at Hitler getting machine gunned in the face.  To me this was a complete lowbrow movie, and I found it rather disgusting.  Maybe I will rewatch it and see if my opinion changes.

I do wonder if anyone other than Tarantino put this movie out, if it would have been successful at all.  It is fairly common for successful authors to put out a book with a pen name to see if they are really still talented, or if it is just the media and crazed fans praising whatever has their name on it as if it must be great.  I know Stephen King and perhaps Michael Crichton did this.  I tend to think that if Tarantino released this movie without his name in the credits it would be panned by the majority of critics and you wouldn't hear much praise that people heap on the film.

After rereading your comments I guess my main problem with the film is that if Tarantino is calling the brutal Americans "inglorious bastards" why doesn't he portray them in a more negative light.  He films the movie with the tone that these guys are heros.  Hell, there were people in the theater laughing and applauding in approval at the brutal torture of the german prisoner with the baseball bat.  Was that *really* a funny scene?  Give Spielberg the same scene, and it would have been portrayed much, much differently.  And Tarantino can definately do humor, but to me there was nothing funny about that at all.  The tone of a movie is hard to pinpoint, but it makes a huge difference in what you get out of the movie.  You can film a bunch of KKK nuts burning a cross in a way that makes them seem ignorant and hateful, and you could also film that same scene as a piece of brave comradery and cohesion with comrades on a religious crusade (coincidental illiteration).

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1003 on: December 25, 2009, 04:41:02 AM »

I do wonder if anyone other than Tarantino put this movie out, if it would have been successful at all.  It is fairly common for successful authors to put out a book with a pen name to see if they are really still talented, or if it is just the media and crazed fans praising whatever has their name on it as if it must be great.  I know Stephen King and perhaps Michael Crichton did this.  I tend to think that if Tarantino released this movie without his name in the credits it would be panned by the majority of critics and you wouldn't hear much praise that people heap on the film.

This is definitely true.  Thats one of the problems successful artists face, is sycophancy. 

I find that its interesting to see how successful artists deal with this next level of stardom.  I've seen it written numerous times, King could "publish his grocery list" and still sell a million copies. 

Thats one of the major attractions I found in Basterds, Quentin definitely broadcast his intent to bring this film to screen.  He spent the better part of a decade with Basterds in the rumor-mill.  That has gotta be a daunting fucking task to an artist.  Look at Chinese Democracy from G-N-R to see the fail oblivion of much-awaited release from a major force.  Dude, thats gotta suck so bad. 

So the guy eventually got the machine rolling, shot it, and put it out there.  No matter how good it was, it'd still get microscoped up the ass as a Tarantino film.  Whats he trying to say?  Whats this, and that, and bla-bla-bla.  I personally think, it took huge balls for Quentin to release a WW2 movie at all, no matter what controversy surrounded it.  In my humble estimation, it was pretty fucking good, even if you took his name off'n it.  If it was anonymous, it'd still be a mind-blower.  In fact, I'll even suggest, it'd be a real monster if the director was an unknown.  If you attributed that movie to John Doe, it'd be catapulted to the next Brokeback Mountain status.  Putting Quentins name on it, to be honest, it probably hurt it in the mainstream. 

If you watch it again, take out two things.  The big yellow BAM splash when he introduced the one Jew soldier, in the baseball bat scene.  And pretend you've never seen Brad Pitt before.  If you pretend those two things don't exist, and the movie was made by some asshole you've never heard of, you'll probably think it was a goddamn stroke of genius.  You'd wanna know who the fuck made that movie.  You'd be telling all your friends, you guys gotta see this fuckin movie I just saw, its fuckin amazing!    Thats the shit that on Tarantino's shoulders, is Tarantino makes Tarantino films.  Thats his burden. 

--

I had the distinct privilege of being seated in a garage this summer, and shown the first half of the Grindhouse project.  It was absolutely wonderful.  It was filthy with campy movie-schlock.  It was a totally powerful piece of trash, the most ridiculous movie I'd seen in years.  It was purposely filmed by people who know movies, professional directors and actors, to be a chunk of brainfucked shit.   

I then traveled back, over a thousand miles under my belt, and had to have the other half of this cinematographic abomination.  Deathproof.  It was like seeing Led Zeppelin in your own favorite bar, tapping ashes into your ashtray.  Fuckin raw. 

A mere three months later, I'm watching Quentins labor of love, the biggest thing he's ever done. 

So, I'm a fan.  I put things into the proper perspective.  Its not like he's my best friend, the guy directs movies.  I just think its pretty fuckin cool.  I admire his desire to dip his pen into various levels, and not get too carried away with himself.  I hope he can continue to do that.  (with or without the help of Elmore Leonard)

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 25, 2009, 10:49:27 AM »

anyone see whip it?

torrent link??????????

i cant find the damn thing and it has been out forever.
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.