Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468016 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #960 on: December 11, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »

I watched Letting Go of God, which is basically a 2-hour monologue about a woman's conversion from Catholicism to Atheism, precipitated by a visit from two Mormon missionaries.  It was on Showtime, and it was very good.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 11, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »

from Catholicism to Atheism, precipitated by a visit from two Mormon missionaries.

I am suddenly reminded of "Scared Straight."
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 11, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »

anyone seen The Road? I'm reading the book right now and just realized there is a movie about it.

Great book (but too short!). I started a thread here axin' the peeps where it's playing and I think only one person said it was showing in their town..

Yeah, really good book. The closest place playing it is about 30 miles from me. Maybe I'll make the trip. I want to see how it is portrayed on film while the book is still fresh in my mind.
Pocho

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 11, 2009, 02:52:40 PM »

I watched Letting Go of God, which is basically a 2-hour monologue about a woman's conversion from Catholicism to Atheism, precipitated by a visit from two Mormon missionaries.  It was on Showtime, and it was very good.

Julia Sweeney.  In addition to being funny, it's about the least offensive account of conversion to atheism I've ever heard.  If atheists get tired of letting Richard Dawkins the rottweiler be their unofficial spokesperson, Julia Sweeney would do the job well. 

She also did stage shows about when her brother died of cancer (God Said Ha!) and the process of adopting a daughter (In the Family Way), but I'm pretty sure those are both audiobooks only. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 12, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »

from Catholicism to Atheism, precipitated by a visit from two Mormon missionaries.

I am suddenly reminded of "Scared Straight."

Yeah, that's a pretty good analogy :P

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 12, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »

Hitchhiker's Guide
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »

Darkness Falls.  It's a silly movie, and I don't mean that in a good way.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:31:03 PM by Rillion »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #967 on: December 12, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »

Hitchhiker's Guide
New or old version?

The old version has more mistakes (like seeing zaphod's "puppeteer" repeatedly) but I like it better.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 12, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »

Hitchhiker's Guide
New or old version?

The old version has more mistakes (like seeing zaphod's "puppeteer" repeatedly) but I like it better.
New.  I wasn't aware of an old version, now I gotta hunt it down and download it.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 12, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »

Hitchhiker's Guide
New.  I wasn't aware of an old version, now I gotta hunt it down and download it.

Much lower budget, but because of that they had to rely on story rather than special effects.

Much like Dr. Who.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 12, 2009, 07:41:36 PM »

I just watched The Wrestler, and while it's a "good movie", it just wasn't my thing.  It's got a very sad ending (but also simultaneously proud and apathetic).  The movie is about an old, washed-up wrestler's (of the fake variety) now-fucked up life and how the last things in it that keep him from giving up living don't work out for some reason or another.  I'm glad that I watched it, but it's not something I'm interested in seeing again.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 12, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »

2012.  But it was stupid. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 12, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »

2012.  But it was stupid. 

Were you surprised?

MasterShake

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 13, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »

Santa's Slay

Santa is actually a ancient demon forced to be good for 1000 years.. and that 1000 years ends today.

Starring Bill Goldberg (From the WWE) as Santa, Dave "Doug McKenzie" Thomas, and Robert Culp.

The first 5 minutes are worth the rental alone...  Santa offs Chris Kattan, Fran Drescher and James Caan.

Fun cheesey B horror film.

Squid

« Reply #974 on: December 13, 2009, 02:03:09 AM »

Invictus. I'm a huge rugby fan and my 2 favorite teams are the All blacks and the Springboks. I liked it.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.