Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 470789 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #840 on: September 22, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »

Severance - much funnier than the other one anyway.

The cast list on imdb is a bit spoilery, but pretty funny:

Levente Törköly    ...    Lodge Killer
   János Oláh   ...    Flamethrower Killer
   Attila Ferencz   ...    Head-squish Killer
   Bela Kasi   ...    Headbutt Killer

You mean to say that the rape scene in A Clockwork Orange didn't turn you on?

Is this a sensitive topic for you?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Bill Brasky

« Reply #841 on: September 22, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »

We watched Ghostbusters last night, on a whim (thank you, Netfix Instant Play), and Boyfriend couldn't get over how much of a jerk Peter Venkman was.  He theorized that Bill Murray played pretty much only jerks up until Groundhog Day, and nicer people after.   When I asked why, he guessed it was because of his age.   I'm not sure if that means that as Murray got older playing a jerk seemed less attractive, or whether movie makers are less likely to cast older people as jerks.  Or maybe it's a crap theory.  I don't know, we were drinking last night. 

I think Murray inadvertently typecast himself by accepting roles that were naturals for him- and the audience to receive him - the sloppy quirky SNL alumni.  He played basically the same character in Stripes, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, and flopped during a dramatic adaptation of Maugham's The Razors Edge filmed during the same period, which he co-wrote the screen stuff.  Ghostbusters was done in trade, to acquire financing for Razors Edge.  After that, he apparently used the personal failure as a reason to disappear for a while, and studied philosophy at the Sorbonne.  (note that his IRL moves closely followed the bearded Larry character in Razor's Edge, whom he played, dropping out of life for a while to find himself in Europe).

Re-emerging from that period, he gravitated towards more serious roles, even if they were comedy.  Groundhog Day and What About Bob were both about good-hearted men who become unstable in a stable world - both of those movies could have easily become dark without the goofy-happy Murray.  I think whats really cool for him is he was finally accepted as a serious actor in Lost In Translation - which should be noted that it carries that Razor theme of a man out of his element - an unhappy movie star in Japan doing work as a shill, still learning about life, and trying to find happiness. 

So, I think the thing about playing the grubby sneering roach became less appealing to him, as he matured as an actor and a person. 

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 23, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »

Has anybody seen any of the following movies?

Hostel 1, or 2
Saw 1, 2, or 3
Wolf Creek
The Descent
The Devil's Rejects

I've never been big into horror, having a far too active imagination-- seriously.  Didn't even see Friday the 13th until I was 25.  But after reading a lot of reviews here, here, and here I'm wondering if I ought to start.  Just put Wolf Creek on the Netflix queue. 

Hostels= great
Descent=OK, a few, oh come on.....moments
Devil's rejects= gotta see 1000 corpses first. The characters are developed there and it is way more fun to see what happens next. You may find yourself being sympathetic for the evil mass murdering family. good times
Liberate America!

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 23, 2009, 04:19:10 AM »

_Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel_

Serious SciFi on a budget. Surprisingly good.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #844 on: September 23, 2009, 04:36:39 AM »

I watched 9.

Shit sucks. No flow to it. It was like watching three episodes of a crappy show back to back (i.e. the primary problem in the movie got solved twice, and each time they created a new one). The writing was halfassed.

ciscokid1024

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 23, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »

I watched 9 last night and all I can say is "meh." It was slow and ultimately kinda pointless. I guess I just don't get it.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 23, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »

I watched 9 last night and all I can say is "meh." It was slow and ultimately kinda pointless. I guess I just don't get it.

From the previews, it looked really bad.  I'm glad I've confirmed that before potentially wasting any of my own money to see it.

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #847 on: September 23, 2009, 07:59:13 PM »

From the previews, it looked really bad.  I'm glad I've confirmed that before potentially wasting any of my own money to see it.

Yea seriously. My buddy was excited when he saw the previews but I didn't find any appeal at all. Good to know before he forced me to see it.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #848 on: September 23, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

Yea seriously. My buddy was excited when he saw the previews but I didn't find any appeal at all. Good to know before he forced me to see it.

I watched the original movie (its much shorter) a significant time ago and enjoyed it (though I barely remember it now) and so once I find a quality version online I'll watch it. I hear it doesnt have much of a real plot, a mild climax, and very little of a conclusion. I do like animations though.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #849 on: September 23, 2009, 08:27:08 PM »

I like animation but only with good plots. Idk I'm kinda big on plots.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 23, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »

I watched the original movie (its much shorter) a significant time ago and enjoyed it (though I barely remember it now) and so once I find a quality version online I'll watch it. I hear it doesnt have much of a real plot, a mild climax, and very little of a conclusion. I do like animations though.

See, I'm strongly biased against animated movies, so they've got to be really good to make up for their inherent inferiority in my mind ;)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #851 on: September 23, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »

Anyone here a fan of The Dark Crystal?  Its not animated (puppetry) but its one of my favorite movies.

My favorite animation I believe is The Hobbit.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 23, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »

I just saw Johnny Got His Gun.

Good flick.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 23, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »

THX1138

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #854 on: September 24, 2009, 12:33:28 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.