Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468071 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #780 on: August 20, 2009, 02:30:10 AM »

Santa Clause  conquers the martians.
NICE.  I watched that a while ago when I got on an old school SciFi flick binge.  Horrible but awesome at the same time.

I recently watched Toxic Skies.  It's some cooky conspiracy thing about chem trails causing mass viral infections across America.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 20, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »

Yesterday I watched two movies:

Basic - with John Travolta

---- this movie was slightly above bad.  It decent except for the 12 twist endings and the blatant fake driving in the hummer.  Her hands never even fully grip the steering wheel.  How the fuck did that make the final cut?

and

Knowing - with Nicolas Cage

--- The story was ok except for all the biblical references.  The sequel to this movie is, if you didn't know, 2012.  (hoo ha)

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 21, 2009, 02:08:18 AM »

District 9.  Really liked it.  To the earlier poster who said they didn't explain why the aliens let themselves be abused for so long, they did.  This isn't a spoiler, as it all is explained in the first few minutes, but the aliens in the movie are all "worker" drone types, without high level intelligence.  Something happened to the control room of the mother ship(maybe there was only one leader alien onboard, maybe more, we dont know what happened).  And so the only thing left was the sort of dumb brute aliens.  Yeah, sorta farfetched, but at least they attempted to explain it.  I do think it was odd that no one came to rescue them, and I feel pretty sure their home base would know they are on Earth.  And for an advanced race, even the workers were pretty dumb.  But I overlooked that because it was GOOD SCI FI, which Hollywood hardly ever releases.  Plus, they set it up for a KICK ASS District 10 sequel :)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 21, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

District 9.  Really liked it.  To the earlier poster who said they didn't explain why the aliens let themselves be abused for so long, they did.  This isn't a spoiler, as it all is explained in the first few minutes, but the aliens in the movie are all "worker" drone types, without high level intelligence.  Something happened to the control room of the mother ship(maybe there was only one leader alien onboard, maybe more, we dont know what happened).  And so the only thing left was the sort of dumb brute aliens.  Yeah, sorta farfetched, but at least they attempted to explain it.  I do think it was odd that no one came to rescue them, and I feel pretty sure their home base would know they are on Earth.  And for an advanced race, even the workers were pretty dumb.  But I overlooked that because it was GOOD SCI FI, which Hollywood hardly ever releases.  Plus, they set it up for a KICK ASS District 10 sequel :)

Yes, but they still had that one really smart guy around...and his son later on.  If he was smart enough, etc. to be a leader like that, it seems strange that he was somehow unable to keep their usual social cohesion.  Plus, the "queen bee"-type social structure theory and thinking that somehow all the smart aliens inexplicably died was all speculation by the xenophobic humanoid characters, which makes it hard for me to take it seriously without some actual evidence to that effect.  The workers didn't seem too stupid to me.  They seemed to not like the bullshit.  They said they "didn't understand" some things because they didn't like what was going on, not because they didn't understand them...much like a lot of the civil disobedience crowd claiming to not understand the charges against them in court ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:48:01 PM by freeAgent »

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 21, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »

District 9.  Really liked it.  To the earlier poster who said they didn't explain why the aliens let themselves be abused for so long, they did.  This isn't a spoiler, as it all is explained in the first few minutes, but the aliens in the movie are all "worker" drone types, without high level intelligence.  Something happened to the control room of the mother ship(maybe there was only one leader alien onboard, maybe more, we dont know what happened).  And so the only thing left was the sort of dumb brute aliens.  Yeah, sorta farfetched, but at least they attempted to explain it.  I do think it was odd that no one came to rescue them, and I feel pretty sure their home base would know they are on Earth.  And for an advanced race, even the workers were pretty dumb.  But I overlooked that because it was GOOD SCI FI, which Hollywood hardly ever releases.  Plus, they set it up for a KICK ASS District 10 sequel :)

Yes, but they still had that one really smart guy around...and his son later on.  If he was smart enough, etc. to be a leader like that, it seems strange that he was somehow unable to keep their usual social cohesion.

PARTIAL SPOIL ALERT!

Maybe he was smart enough to know that the only hope for his people was to start up the ship, not to create a full fledged rebellion where he (the only smart one) might die.
Pocho

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 21, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »

District 9.  Really liked it.  To the earlier poster who said they didn't explain why the aliens let themselves be abused for so long, they did.  This isn't a spoiler, as it all is explained in the first few minutes, but the aliens in the movie are all "worker" drone types, without high level intelligence.  Something happened to the control room of the mother ship(maybe there was only one leader alien onboard, maybe more, we dont know what happened).  And so the only thing left was the sort of dumb brute aliens.  Yeah, sorta farfetched, but at least they attempted to explain it.  I do think it was odd that no one came to rescue them, and I feel pretty sure their home base would know they are on Earth.  And for an advanced race, even the workers were pretty dumb.  But I overlooked that because it was GOOD SCI FI, which Hollywood hardly ever releases.  Plus, they set it up for a KICK ASS District 10 sequel :)

Yes, but they still had that one really smart guy around...and his son later on.  If he was smart enough, etc. to be a leader like that, it seems strange that he was somehow unable to keep their usual social cohesion.

PARTIAL SPOIL ALERT!

Maybe he was smart enough to know that the only hope for his people was to start up the ship, not to create a full fledged rebellion where he (the only smart one) might die.

Yeah, but he could have gotten to the ship and then probably picked up everyone else/demolished the city if he wanted.  That ship was ridiculously large and obviously could take a beating considering it hovered around for over 20 years with no maintenance at all and after they drilled holes in it, etc.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #786 on: August 21, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »

Perhaps the answer will be reveled in the sequel. District Ten?
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

RottingNation

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 22, 2009, 02:29:01 AM »

Inglourious Basterds. Tarantino's camera delivered, so did the dialog though it was lengthy at times. The score was great too. It was a good summer for movies.
--------------------------------------------------------
"I am not a number, I am a free man."

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 14, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »

Sunshine Cleaning.

A downer, but a good movie.
Pocho

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #789 on: September 14, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »

Started watching District 9.  I almost finished it but Megavideo said I watched too much for one day (what a stupid idea).   I think it could easily be the best sci-fi this year.

The Knowing  was lame, and the noahs ark/garden of eden/biblical crap was lame as well. The whole movie was waaaay too predictable.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 14, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »

A Boy And His Dog

Great stuff.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #791 on: September 14, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »

[img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #792 on: September 14, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »

Moral of the story of course: Dog is Man's best friend.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 14, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »

Moral of the story of course: Dog is Man's best friend.
Well that plus anarchy

MasterShake

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 14, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »

Watched an early 80's slasher flick called "The Burning"  Good stuff.  Gives the Friday the 13th movies a run for their money.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.